2010 MLB Season

and NY turned its first triple play since 1968.

Some interesting names in that one from 68. Roseboro hitting the 1-5-3 TP from pitcher Dooley Womack to third baseman Bobby Cox (yes, that Bobby Cox) to Mickey Mantle.

yeah, I heard about Cox being involved, during the braves broadcast. Must have been a pretty crappy Yankees team in 1968 to give Bobby 490 ab's , when he only hit .229!

Well, Phils showed they are the team right now...amazing Moyer can still throw 81 and get guys out!!! John Smoltz and Joe Simpson said there must be B.P. pitchers that throw harder! :blink:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giants get swept by the Pads.

I blame Romo and his idiotic low and inside what-in-THE-hell-was-he-thinking pitch to a low and inside hitter [Mannywood] on Sunday against the [hated] Dodgers.

My guys had the Mojo working, dammit!

Grrrrr :angry:

Some interesting names in that one from 68. Roseboro hitting the 1-5-3 TP from pitcher Dooley Womack to third baseman Bobby Cox (yes, that Bobby Cox) to Mickey Mantle.

I noticed that as well. Weirdly enough, between 1965 and 1968 NY turned three triple plays--years in which the team overall had descended to a stinky level of mediocrity.

yeah, I heard about Cox being involved, during the braves broadcast. Must have been a pretty crappy Yankees team in 1968 to give Bobby 490 ab's , when he only hit .229!

Well, Phils showed they are the team right now...amazing Moyer can still throw 81 and get guys out!!! John Smoltz and Joe Simpson said there must be B.P. pitchers that throw harder! :blink:

What a great series for the Fightin's. Their starting pitching did not allow an earned run in 3 games. And after losing the the first game in an oh-so-heartbreaking fashion they came back for the next two and reminded everyone in Atlanta that the road to the NL East Championship still goes through Philadelphia. And they did it w/ Rollins, Happ, Lidge, Romero, and Blanton on the DL. Just wait until this team gets healthy.

BTW, how weird was it seeing Moyer(47) vs. Heyward(20)?? To put it in proper perspective Moyer's oldest boy will turn 19 this summer.

Looks like the Braves need to re-read the rule book: they messed up the infield fly rule. Chipper drops the ball, forgets that the rule has been called, throws to first, they screw it up and in the confusion Angel Pagan scores all the way from second. Bobby Cox was having a major cow in the dugout.

Sign of a great pitcher: Lincecum really did not have good stuff last night, mostly getting by on guts and a change-up, yet still shut down the Cardinals: 7 ins, 1 earned run, 3bb, 8ks. I would love to see a Roy Halladay vs Tim Lincecum match up, that would be awesome, that would rank up there with the Doc Gooden vs. John Tudor, and Pedro Martinez vs. Roger Clemens classics.

A-Rod trotting across the pitcher's mound. Big deal, or not?

(wish I could figure out how to embed media) <_<

A-Rod, I guess, is claiming he never heard of the unwritten rule that opposing players don't step on the pitcher's mound. He probably did it on purpose to shake up the pitcher, not unlike when he called "I got it" on a pop fly while running the bases in that Blue Jays game.

A-Rod trotting across the pitcher's mound. Big deal, or not?

(wish I could figure out how to embed media) <_<

A-Rod, I guess, is claiming he never heard of the unwritten rule that opposing players don't step on the pitcher's mound. He probably did it on purpose to shake up the pitcher, not unlike when he called "I got it" on a pop fly while running the bases in that Blue Jays game.

I do not take a back seat to anyone in my disdain of ARod (a lying, self-centered fraud, plus a major drama queen in my book) but I have to agree with ARod on this: Mountain out of a mole hill. I actually laughed at his "okay, nobody player, just go back to the dugout and shut up" hand wave.

Thanks for posting the video of the actual incident, Papsrus--until now I'd seen only the clips of Braden yelling at A-Rod afterwards. Before seeing it I was inclined to think, "Hmm, A-Rod's having another 'moment,'" (despite my enthusiasm for his 2009 season, I'm not a kneejerk defender of the guy...I just think he has a good side I'd prefer to see constantly in charge) but after watching what happened...BFD! At least, certainly not worthy of the temper tantrum Braden threw in response. Mountain out of a molehill, indeed...if Braden's so ticked off, put it into K'ing A-Rod three times the next time you face him.

Thanks for posting the video of the actual incident, Papsrus--until now I'd seen only the clips of Braden yelling at A-Rod afterwards. Before seeing it I was inclined to think, "Hmm, A-Rod's having another 'moment,'" (despite my enthusiasm for his 2009 season, I'm not a kneejerk defender of the guy...I just think he has a good side I'd prefer to see constantly in charge) but after watching what happened...BFD! At least, certainly not worthy of the temper tantrum Braden threw in response. Mountain out of a molehill, indeed...if Braden's so ticked off, put it into K'ing A-Rod three times the next time you face him.

I heard that A-Rod on his way back made to sure he kicked in some dirt where Braden lands his feet. Braden overreacted but for anybody who is a fan of crazy gritty lefties Braden is your man and the A's desperately need a few players with some fire.

Edited by WorldB3

Does the expression "tempest in a teapot" ring any bells? BFD, indeed. Time to move on.

Yeah, the pitcher over-reacted, but there are all kinds of unwritten rules in baseball. What A-Rod did was definitely not cool. Either he was unaware of what he was doing, or he did it deliberately. Not sure which would be worse.

It's not so much disrespect for that particular pitcher, but disrespect for the way you play the game. And like I said, it's happened before with this cat. ... Just sayin'. But OK, let's move on. Scuse me while I trot across the mound on my way out.

Sign of a great pitcher: Lincecum really did not have good stuff last night, mostly getting by on guts and a change-up, yet still shut down the Cardinals: 7 ins, 1 earned run, 3bb, 8ks. I would love to see a Roy Halladay vs Tim Lincecum match up, that would be awesome, that would rank up there with the Doc Gooden vs. John Tudor, and Pedro Martinez vs. Roger Clemens classics.

Zito looks great tonight also. Wainwright has nasty stuff. Great pitching duel.

Edited by WorldB3

So far, Tim McCarver, Tom Seaver and Jim Kaat have all said that what A-Rod did was unquestionably wrong. They have also mentioned that Pete Rose would try the same thing, and pitchers like Gibson would throw at his head to make sure he got the message.

A-Rod is a contemptible POS, and I hope the A's drill him the next time they face each other.

If Oakland buzzes A-Rod's tower the next time the two teams play, they're the bush leaguers, not him. I'm guessing that before that game, the umpiring crew will specifically address the ramifications of a deliberate beaning. This is as it should be. In the meantime, I hope Mr. Braden has a chance to watch the video of his overreaction, so he can see just how stupid he looks.

In Saturday's New York Times, Ben Shpigel, in an article entitled "The Man Baseball Loves to Hate," wrote

"According to some of his peers, Alex Rodriguez is a hypocrite and a “prima donna.” He is not the “Yankee type,” either, and he has “monopolized all the attention” since arriving in the Bronx in 2004. Others have described his on-field conduct as “bush league,” “a little cheap,” an “unsportsmanlike act of cheating” and more typical of “junior high school baseball.” Tough crowd."

See Arod for the remainder of the article.

One of the points of the article is that Jeter doesn't do this kind of stuff and that Arod should be a little more like him.

OK.

My Giants beat up on the Cards over the weekend then hand Hallady [Phillies] his first loss of the year....after dropping four straight?

This is going to be one strange season. I can feel it.

Ugh.

Edited by GoodSpeak

This is going to be one strange season. I can feel it.

Thats the beauty of it, like a good novel and a roller coaster. You don't know what kind of ups and downs will happen. Who thought the Giants would beat up on Halliday and then last night Todd Wellemeyer would shut down the best hitting team in the NL?

As for getting swept by the Padres its just one of those things. Sometimes there are other teams you should beat that you can't for whatever reason.

A couple of things to do seem certain. The Rays will score 8 runs a game every day (it just seems like every time I look they have 8 runs on the board) and who ever is the best player on the A's will get injured and who ever was the big free agent they sign will be a bust. Aside from that to quote the Yogi - "In baseball, you don't know nothing" and "It ain't the heat, it's the humility."

Edited by WorldB3