FS: Art Pepper Mosaic Select #15

DrJ

Art Pepper – Mosaic Select #15

Out of print and unfortunately quite scarce

Discs all M-, outer box Ex, booklet M-, tray cards M-

$120 plus $5 shipping within the U.S. Will negotiate shipping at time of sale for folks outside the U.S. PayPal payment only please.

Everyone is free to ask what they want for an item. Please do not question the price; this is not the place for it and it could frustrate the sale. If you don't like the price someone's asking, just ignore the thread.

Thanks Hans! :tup

mikelz777 posted: Wow! $41+ per disc! What's in this set that's not in the still-easy-to-find "The Return Of Art Pepper", "Modern Art" and "The Art Of Pepper"? 4-5 alternate takes?

The issue here is that it is a complete Mosaic set that is OOP, has 24 bit mastering which some people prefer to the older lower sampling rate 1980s CDs, and is selling routinely on eBay and Amazon for $150...in fact I paid $150 for my copy, because I am a Pepper and Mosaic junkie (and suspect I'm in good company in that regard) and badly wanted to hear this after it went suddenly OOP. So I'm actually taking a $30 loss in offering at $120, in the interest of not gratuitously gouging my fellow Organissimo forum members, but I'm also no fool - I'm not going to lose more than that just to be a nice guy.

BTW, did you realize that while you were wasting your time and mine griping about a listing you have no interest in, you could have been shopping for a life? Get on it, man!

Edited by DrJ

Yours is certainly one point of view. Another point of view is that I was providing a service to those who might think that a.) since the set is out-of-print and hard-to-find, that the music is no longer available when it actually is, and b.) believing that the only way to obtain said music was at a premium price when it is also available at a much more managable price for those who want the music but can't afford to spend that kind of money.

I won't begrudge anyone for spending whatever they want to on their music. I'm a huge Art Pepper fan and I think everyone should own this music because it's excellent but I wouldn't have been able to spend $150.00 (or $120.00) for a 3-CD set. (I was fortunate to get his brand-new, 16-CD Galaxy box set for less than that.) Then again, people should also be aware that they can still own the music without having to lament over bending or breaking their budget to do so. Good luck to you, I hope you sell it. All you need is one buyer who thinks that that price is right.

Edited by mikelz777

There's some Joe Morello and Bill Perkins material on the set that's not on the 80s BN discs. And the cheapest Amazon "The Art of Pepper" is $30 right now.

The Morello material was included in the first volume of the '88 edition.

All tracks but one have been issued on Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Art Pepper CDs before, including the Joe Morello and Bill Perkins dates, but the CDs are now all OOP and appear to be pretty expensive. The Joe Morello tracks appeared on the Blue Note CD The Return of Art Pepper, the Bill Perkins tracks on the Pacific Jazz CD The Artistry of Pepper. The track missing on the individual CDs is "Angel Eyes".

As DrJ said the Pepper Mosaic was 24-bit remastered, which people may prefer. Also, a Mosaic set has a special appeal for many people, especially when it's OOP.

It appears the Mosaic Select recreates the whole of Blue Note's three 1988 editions of The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings [vols. 1-3]. (The Return Of Art Pepper, Modern Art, and The Art Of Pepper) There appears to be 5 songs in the Select that do not appear in the 3 volumes above, a 2nd version of "What Is This Thing Called Love?", "A Foggy Day", Diane-A-Flow", "Zenobia", and "Angel Eyes". As mentioned above, 4 of these songs appear on "The Artistry Of Pepper". The latter 4 of these songs also appear on a Bill Perkins (w/Richie Kamuca) 2-fer titled, "Just Friends/Tenors Head On". Oddly enough, the left out song, "What Is This Thing Called Love", appears on the Bill Perkins single title release of "Just Friends" with 3 of the mentioned songs but leaves out "Angel Eyes".

Edited by mikelz777

Yours is certainly one point of view. Another point of view is that I was providing a service to those who might think that a.) since the set is out-of-print and hard-to-find, that the music is no longer available when it actually is, and b.) believing that the only way to obtain said music was at a premium price when it is also available at a much more managable price for those who want the music but can't afford to spend that kind of money.

I won't begrudge anyone for spending whatever they want to on their music. I'm a huge Art Pepper fan and I think everyone should own this music because it's excellent but I wouldn't have been able to spend $150.00 (or $120.00) for a 3-CD set. (I was fortunate to get his brand-new, 16-CD Galaxy box set for less than that.) Then again, people should also be aware that they can still own the music without having to lament over bending or breaking their budget to do so. Good luck to you, I hope you sell it. All you need is one buyer who thinks that that price is right.

First of all it's patently unlikely that anyone here doesn't know that this material is available elsewhere. And I most certainly did not portray the set as containing unreleased material. It's really not my duty as someone listing an item for sale to include the phrase "All material in this set is available elsewhere," particularly on a Forum like this one where we have very knowledgeable people.

And I'm sorry you couldn't swing the money for this set, crying shame, but really that's not relevant in the least.

Second of all, by my pricing on a quick Amazon perusal, for non-trashed copies:

Return of Art Pepper - $10-15 (hard to tell from listings which are trashed/missing stuff, but to be safe probably $15)

Modern Art - $10 minimum

The Art of Pepper - $30 minimum - and possibly a lot more

Fresh Sound disc with the Perkins stuff on it - $10. Plus keep in mind this is from Fresh Sound and their source tapes aren't always first generation

Oh and I forgot you need Artistry of Pepper too to get "What Is this Thing Called Love" I believe (and let me tell you, you want this track - it's superb) - so another $6-10 or so - it's not on the Fresh Sound disc.

Shipping about $3 each - so you're up to around $80-85 easy, assuming all goes well with the orders and you don't get trashed stuff from Amazon's used listings and have to return one or more or buy another copy to get a keeper (which often happens in my experience with Amazon), and you may not be getting some of the material in the best possible transfers.

To buy all these CDs in as new condition - which is the condition of my Pepper Mosaic - would I'm certain cost closer to $100 unless you are prepared to look for a long, long time.

PLUS regardless, you wouldn't get the nice Mosaic booklet and box and the collectibility of Mosaic. I will GUARANTEE you it's never going to go DOWN appreciably in value within our lifetimes.

Gee, thanks for the wonderful public misinformation "service"...

Edited by DrJ

Conn,

Here's the thing -- the seller will figure out mighty quick if it's "too hefty" 'cause he won't make a sale....so there's really no need for people to chime in and put the seller on the defensive when he's already devastated by the fact that he has to part with a treasured set in order to buy ballet slippers for his kid's next recital.

Conn,

Here's the thing -- the seller will figure out mighty quick if it's "too hefty" 'cause he won't make a sale....so there's really no need for people to chime in and put the seller on the defensive when he's already devastated by the fact that he has to part with a treasured set in order to buy ballet slippers for his kid's next recital.

Hee hee hee...it's nothing that dire, my friend - I'm putting the money toward a new Dynavector 17D3 MC phono cartridge. :) But thanks for your support, it's the thought that counts.

This grows tiresome, in the extreme. Never mind. Sale here closed, no longer offered. I'm taking this to eBay and will get the original $150 I paid for it, I'm confident. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to try and be a nice/reasonable person and try and offer an OOP Mosaic for 20% less than what it is selling for elsewhere.

The only way to please some folks here is to give something away and take a $50-100 loss. Sorry guys, it will be a cold day in hell before that happens.

Unbelievable.