Gershwin/Whiteman/Grofe

MomsMobley

This could go classical I reckon but since it was jazzmen playing it at first... A hod carrier I know was playing this all day at a small archeology site I visited in south central Pennsylvania a few weeks ago and I just got around to listening to the copy she gave me listening more closely. This kind of thing has-- and always had-- perilous crossover potential, I know, but in a world that still not only tolerates, but celebrates, offal like Ella Fitzgerald pipsqueaking Gershwin (which no, ain't worth it for Nelson Riddle cruise control either), I'll take it--

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031B7EOU

A previous Harmonie Ensemble album on the Bridge label of Gershin/Grofe is wild too--

My link

One wonders, and hod carriers too, what Allen Lowe would think of Al Gallodoro's alto playing?

Mr. Majestic: how do you know about Lincoln Mayorga? Not that you shouldn't but he's a great talent who sort of falls between the usual orthodoxies; as you well might yourself, of course.

Allen: yes, Grofe is wonderful, I'm stunned by the level of execution and, to use a five letter word, "swing" on both these discs. Sort of the symphonic jazz equivalent of the best Randy Sandke or Vince Giordano performances? I thought you might know of Gallodoro, a certain type of legend--

My link

Mr. Majestic: how do you know about Lincoln Mayorga? Not that you shouldn't but he's a great talent who sort of falls between the usual orthodoxies; as you well might yourself, of course.

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/messages/piltdown_men.htm

Less well known in the US than in Britain, where the band had 3 top 20 hits in the early 60s. I still have 3 of their 45s. Amazing to keep them, when so much other R&R/R&B/Soul/Funk got ditched in the late sixties.

MG