Syllart reissues of Syliphone LPs

I noticed this yesterday evening, while having a surf around the African music blogs.

I was recently reading an article* about what appears to be one of the side-effects of the digital 'revolution' of the last twenty years: the enormous loss in dynamics. In digitising older lp's and cassettes I am used to seeing quite a wide dynamic range in the recording tool. When I first heard the digital conversions of the Syliphone records by Syllart, I was immediately struck by the enormous loss of dynamics compared to the vinyl versions. Here you can find an example of "Gön Bia Bia" by le Nimba de N'Zerekore. There are certainly more spectacular examples; personally I have difficulty surpressing my tears when I hear the seriously mauled Syllart versions of Sory Kandia Kouyaté's songs. But I think the versions of the Nimba song should give you an idea of how compression can (in my opinion: dramatically) change a song.

Full article: http://wrldsrv.blogspot.com/2010/04/xeme-festival.html

Sory Kandia Kouyaté (usually billed as Kouyaté Sory Kandia) had one of the great voices of the 20th Century, so this is serious stuff. I have all the Syllart reissues of this material; and also a couple of K7s - but they were almost certainly pirate tapes - bought in The Gambia - so you can't rely on them, (and anyway, they're in a box in the garage under an old TV and some other stuff).

But I did a back to back listen to the only actual Syliphone LP I have (Camayenne Sofa's "Le percée") with the Syllart reissue and I quite like the reissue. I expect that makes me a pariah around here. Or perhaps this one was OK. I dunno.

Anyway, for what it's worth, this is the view of an expert, which I am certainly not.

MG

While I'm very grateful to have digitized versions of these LPs, I do think worldservice is likely right about the sound quality - especially from vinyl to the MP3 versions.

(Although the most painful "transfer" I've heard/owned was of Bach's sonatas and partitas for solo violin, a Philips reissue. I bet this sounds terrific on vinyl, but the CD version literally hurt my ears!)