JJ Johnson - A Touch Of Satin

Tom 1960

cover.jpg

I happened to see a vinyl copy today at a local flea market selling for $20. I don't know much about the date except it was recorded in the very early 60's for Columbia and features Johnson with Victor Feldman, Sam Jones and Louis Hayes. Since I was unaware of the date, I was wondering what the more knowledgable folks here might know of this session?

It was recorded on December 15 and 21, 1960 and January 12, 1961 with a quartet: Johnson, Victor Feldman on piano, vibraphone and celeste (on 1 track), Sam Jones on bass and Louis Hayes on drums. The LP has 9 tracks. The date was included in the OOP J.J. Johnson Mosaic set, with 3 extra tracks (1 with Feldman on organ).

The LP was released in mono (Columbia CL 1737) and stereo (Columbia CS 8537).

The $20 price would be about right for a mint 6-eye stereo from a used record store.

The $20 asking price by flea market dealer is a bit audacious -- I'd offer $15 at the most.

And the vinyl would have to be a minty-mint 6-eye stereo.

'Touch of Satin' is mostly standards (i.e. 'Satin Doll') by JJ with Adderley's rhythm section.

The LP notes should've printed "all supporting musicians courtesy of Riverside Records".)

This album consists of standards, very well played. None of the tracks are blazingly brillant.

I could've done without 'Gigi' and 'When the Saints Go Marching In'.

Upon Further Review -- "This album consists of standards..."

...AND two brief originals by JJ -- 'Flat Black' (4:17) and 'Bloozineff' (3:38)

Considering JJ's previous Columbia LP 'Trombone and Voices' (arr. by Frank DeVol),

'Touch of Satin' isn't the 'polite jazz' Columbia's marketing czars may have wanted.