Ronnie Ross

couw

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give him the money, Barney! All I have is a picture of the Jasmine CD. What you've now given me is the original LP cover by the looks of it. Brilliant! Do you have the LP, Sidewinder? The only thing I am missing is the Decca number. But it is already on the site anyway, above the Jasmine which looks a little dull in comparison. Many thanks again.

Sidewinder - Should have looked myself first - found it easily enough - LK4087.

Thanks for the tip about the Beeb - I haven't found that place yet. Will do a search but may come back to you if I get lost . :) Sounds very interesting.

Edited by tooter

Friday 4 February

JAZZ 625

Friday 4 February 9pm-10pm; 2.40am-3.40am; Tuesday 8 February 11pm-midnight

Performances by some of the stalwarts of British jazz including John Dankworth and Cleo Laine, Victor Feldman featuring Ronnie Scott, The Tubby Hayes Big Band, The Johnny Scott Quartet, Annie Ross with the Tony Kinsey Quintet and Bill Le Sage's Directions in Jazz.

This one? I will have to look into how to get it. Something I haven't tried yet. Pity it looks as if it might be quite short though, but anything's better than nothing. I wonder if each hourly session is simply a repeat.

Tooter - Ronnie made a sterling short appearance on the Beeb last night. I wasn't expecting it but the Bill Le Sage 'New Directions In Jazz' unit were featured on that Duke Ellington 70th Birthday 'Love You Madly' tribute (from 1968 ish) along with Stan Tracey's Big Brass. Absolutely wonderful show - after total chaos with my video recorder failing initially to record BBC4 off Freeserve and totally losing the 'Ronnie Scott at Coconut Grove' :rmad: , I cracked it with 1 minute to go and I think I've got the Ross recorded. We'll have to look at transferring this to DVD for you.

Ronnie took just the one solo but it was a nice one ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder

:rolleyes: a friend of mine used to be his secretary, when he played arond london, she said he was always rehearsing, i love cleopatras needle lovely tune would like another copy as mine is worn, paul

Paul - welcome! Cleopatra's Needle has been mentioned before as being worthy of re-issue on CD and the Giles Peterson compilation engendered a number of favourable comments for including the title track.

Are you still in touch with your friend who was Ronnie's secretary? Would she be willing/able to help with our website www.ronnieross.com in any way do you think? Perhaps she might even have gig diaries or something like that? Or just be willing to share her memories?

Tooter - Ronnie made a sterling short appearance on the Beeb last night. I wasn't expecting it but the Bill Le Sage 'New Directions In Jazz' unit were featured on that Duke Ellington 70th Birthday 'Love You Madly' tribute (from 1968 ish) along with Stan Tracey's Big Brass. Absolutely wonderful show - after total chaos with my video recorder failing initially to record BBC4 off Freeserve and totally losing the 'Ronnie Scott at Coconut Grove' :rmad: , I cracked it with 1 minute to go and I think I've got the Ross recorded. We'll have to look at transferring this to DVD for you.

Ronnie took just the one solo but it was a nice one ! :tup

Kicking myself for not having seen this. No DVD in our household yet, Sidewinder, unfortunately. Well behind the times :( Could it be though that the BBC4 programme is going to include the same material I wonder.

Thanks, Sidewinder, for switching me on to the Jazz 625 material. Last night's was packed with interesting material and even throws a little more light on the Ronnie Ross discography. I have him down as having played only tenor in the Tubby big band but just from one viewing I now know that he played at least baritone as well. I like the way they give us the whole of the music, uninterrupted by commentary.

Glad you enjoyed it, Tooter. Good stuff from Ronnie R. last night - the Le Sage 'Directions In Jazz' unit was quite fascinating with the 4 cellos (aha - that German LP !) and the two tracks with the Hayes Big Band (I think that music appeared on one of their Fontana albums, probably 'Tubbs Tours'). I see that the Hayes front line had two baritones - nice big sound there.

Yes, two baritones on Killers of W1 but on In the Night, Ronnie Ross is playing alto - it took me some time to find a shot that showed this clearly - plenty of pause button. Don't know about the other tracks on the session that were not shown though. Maybe they will be one day.

Don't think you are right about the music being the same as on Tubbs' Tours, Sidewinder. Both the tunes appear but timings are different and as far as I know there is no applause on TT.

There is of course scope on the BBC website to make comments, so I would encourage all of those interested in the 60's sessions to make a veritable uproar there so as to persuade the Beeb to keep up the good work.

Sorry Tooter - what I meant is same titles but 'Tours' was recorded at a separate studio session. From the (totally microscopic) writing on the back of my Japanese Fontana CD I see that Ronnie is in the lineup, in fact the saxophone front line looks identical to the one on '625' (Hayes, Wellins, King, Ross, Sharpe). No Stan Roderick in the trumpets though - wasn't that him in the lineup last night?

Edited by sidewinder

Just checked the Hayes discography and that episode of '625' with the Hayes Big Band was recorded at the Marquee on 31st Jan 1965 and originally broadcast by the Beeb on 7th April 1965.

Tracks recorded were:

'Blues for bloody Morag'

'Parisien thoroughfare'

'In the night'

'Suddenly last Tuesday'

'Young and Foolish'

'Blues for bloody Morag' (reprise)

'Killers of W.1'

'Theme'

There were also Hayes '625' recordings done on the 13th and 14th August 1964 with RR present but I don't know if they survived the tape cull.

Edited by sidewinder

Will look in detail later, including Roderick question, but that Tubby appears to be the same session that I heard at the British Library Sound Archive some time ago - I got all the details then except that I could not tell who was playing what instruments. I think I will assume Ronnie Ross on baritone and alto rather than tenor.

However, the Directions in Jazz Bill Le Sage seems to be a different session from the one I've got in the RR discography. "Night Talk" and "Times Two and a Half" were broadcast in "It's Jazz" on BBC but in September 1964, whereas the 625 tunes come from June 1964. Timings are different too. So the one last night is a new session to me - all the more reason to hope that the Beeb will either broadcast some more or, even better, whole programmes as you say, Sidewinder.

Yes, I noticed the bits you mention, Sidewinder - one of the interviewees (Georgie Fame?) talking about hearing RR from the street but no sign of RR himself there. I am going to see if the Beeb will supply the information - no harm in asking, although I've found in general organisations do not respond as individuals do.

Still checking on other details.

Just checked the Hayes discography and that episode of '625' with the Hayes Big Band was recorded at the Marquee on 31st Jan 1965 and originally broadcast by the Beeb on 7th April 1965.

Tracks recorded were:

'Blues for bloody Morag'

'Parisien thoroughfare'

'In the night'

'Suddenly last Tuesday'

'Young and Foolish'

'Blues for bloody Morag' (reprise)

'Killers of W.1'

'Theme'

There were also Hayes '625' recordings done on the 13th and 14th August 1964 with RR present but I don't know if they survived the tape cull.

I heard the whole session at the BLSA and took personnel details from their records.

Personnel: Ian Hamer, Les Condon (trumpets),

Jimmy Deuchar (trumpet, mellophonium [5 6]),

Keith Christie, Ken Wray (trombones),

Ronnie Ross (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone),

Tubby Hayes (tenor saxophone, flute [3 5], vibraphone [5]),

Peter King, Bobby Wellins (tenor saxophones),

Jackie Sharpe (baritone saxophone), Terry Shannon (piano),

Freddy Logan (bass), Allan Ganley (drums).

So no Stan Roderick. Jimmy Deuchar was featured and stood at the front with Tubby. there were two trumpet players still at the back, next to a vacant chair which was Jimmy's I guess, but I am unable to identify them by sight. No reason to suppose the BLSA details are wrong though.

Is that the Barbara Schwarz discography, Sidewinder? I had that a while back but gave it away. I didn't note the Aug 1964 sessions you mention but I suppose details are lost now. Nothing in my discography around that time. Perhaps information will surface one day.

Yes, its from the Barbara Schwarz discography.

The sessions from 13th and 14th of August 1964 are actually the Hayes Big Band with Benny Golson. I've got the film of the 13th on that old video recording. Nothing of the session on the 14th though. Track details as follows:

13th Aug 1964:

'Stockholm Sojourn' (4:20) (I think Ross solos on this one)

'I Remember Clifford' (4:58) (Deuchar feature)

'Come On In' (4:32) (Dave Goldberg feature)

'Put on a Happy Face' (3:34)

'The Call' (4:24)

'Waltz For Debbie' (4:45)

14th Aug 1964

'A Swedish Villa' (4:27)

'Goodbye' (4:36)

'Hey Lady Mama (3:50)

'Oh Look at Me Now' (4:30)

'My Foolish Heart' (5:31)

'Are You Real' (3.05)

Band for the 14th had 23 musicians so looks identical to the 13th. Must assume that RR was present.

Nw if only the Beeb could re-broadcast both of these sessions IN FULL !

Edited by sidewinder