"Summertime" on Dizzy Reece's ASIA MINOR

JSngry

Does Ron Carter get thrown by Charlie Persip's kick into the 1st A and turn the time around or does Persip turn it around himself, or both? I still can't be completely sure, but I'm leaning toward Carter being the culprit, especially since he drops out for a bar or so on the turnaround.

Either way, it's Hank Jones (anybody wondering why the guy got called for so many dates, here's a prime example - skills and professionalism, simple as that) who brings it back into place by gently but unmistakably giving a chordal cue as to HEY!!! HERE IT IS!!! GET IT!!!. Payne, god bless him, just keeps on truckin' through it all like nothing weird is happened, but GEEZ LOUISE! At first I thought it was a sloppy splice, but then I counted bars, and, no, they're all there, but the temptation to count them with turned around time is really, REALLY powerful unless you're really focused on Payne. But if you force yourself to rigidly count 1-2-3-4 and pay absolutely no attention to the bass/drum hookup through it all, it eventually comes out even.

Other than that, a pretty nice album. The one tune, "Yamask", that one's a cut above & should have been covered a few times by now.

Does anybody even have this record? I didn't really know about it until browsing through the selection of the last Newberry fire sale on amazon. Well, maybe I did, vaguely, but I think the presence of Joe Farrell made it seem less than "essential". Which it is, but it's still a goodfine side.

Proof once again that there is life beyond Blue Note.

I think Persip's lost even before that. Something sounds wrong towards the end of Reece's solo. Around 1:50 it sounds as if Persip is putting an accent on 'two' as if it's the first beat of the bar.

Never thought of this before, and it's a fine album nevertheless.

Edited by Daniel A

I've had the recording for years and never noticed it. If Persip screwed the time up by being Persip (complicated, not wrong), I'd think Carter was confused by him. This happens with some drummers - Wilbur Campbell used to screw up "newcomers" all the time.

Edit to say I must admit my opinion is flavored by my preference for Persip over Carter.

Edited by Chuck Nessa