Bob Brookmeyer & Bud Shank/Bob Cooper

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see that Michael Cuscuna of Mosaic included 'Jada' from the Bob Brookmeyer Traditionalism Revisited session that was missing from the Michael Cuscuna-produced CD release of the album in the West Coast Classics reissue series.

The classic tune was a very nice Brookmeyer-Jim Hall duo which was not included in the Pacific Jazz CD for unknown reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to get some initial opinions on these 2 sets-as I'm trying to decide which one to buy-buying both is out of my budget :angry: .

Each one of the sets includes a West Coast Classic issue that I already have-"Blowin Country" and "Traditionalism Revisited."

I'm leaning right now toward the Shank....

Which contains harder to find material??

thnx

Jeff

I'd like to alert people to Brookmeyer's current activities:

I watched him rehearse the Germany-based New Art Orchestra last Tuesday and heard them perform Sat. at the IAJE. They'll be hitting at the Vanguard in a few minutes. For me, as a composer, Brook's mastery of orchestral color, his surging swing figures, his pastel and slowly unfolding ballad writing, and so many more things (especially the low-key yet intensely focussed way he conducts and corrects) were a revelation and very inspiring. He tries and brings off so many things. And the guys are crackerjack, walking through demanding doubling as in a park. And Brook himself sounds like wine. His sound gets darker and deeper all the time and he still gets up for it. Naturally enough, he's one of the more compositional improvisors out there but also one of the best at wrapping his sound around a melody.

If they should pass through your town, pounce. The guy's a visionary. At 72 (73?) he's one of the youngest people in music.

Edited by fasstrack

Received both this morning been listening to them in the background all day long. I was trying to expand my tastes with this purchase as West Coast, or cool jazz isn't my usual thing. I had no prior experience with theses artists as leaders.

I've been happily surprised by these two sets.

First off, no quality control issues here. YEA!!

Everything is top notch. Both sets really swing. The sound quality is very good, even on the live sessions.

I can't wait to get them home and give them a proper audition.

If you know these guys and love the west coast thing, you've gotta grab 'em. Or if you're like me and willing to venture beyond bop, this is good way to do it.

:tup:tup