nick travis/al cohn "the panic is on" lp

I stumbled across a couple of collectible LPs yesterday, one of which was an RCA Victor. "The Panic is On" under the name of Nick Travis, featuring Al Cohn in a quintet setting. It was recorded and released in 1956.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it is in great condition. As soon as I am able to, I will scan the cover. It is very stylistic and representative of the beatnik period. Anyone familiar with this release? I am a big fan of Al Cohn.

Merry Christmas all!

Peace.....

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Bought the British HMV release of this when it came out in the '50s. Was a great fan of Al Cohn. Still am. It's one of my favorite Cohn session. And you get a chance to hear that great trumpet player Nick Travis who appeared on many record dates but had too few opportunities to solo. Plus there is John Williams on piano. Williams was with the Stan Getz quintet at the time and was considered the next best piano player then, right next to Horace Silver.

I love that record.

• 19 years later...
On 12/24/2003 at 1:50 AM, slide_advantage_redoux said:

I stumbled across a couple of collectible LPs yesterday, one of which was an RCA Victor. "The Panic is On" under the name of Nick Travis, featuring Al Cohn in a quintet setting. It was recorded and released in 1956.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it is in great condition. As soon as I am able to, I will scan the cover. It is very stylistic and representative of the beatnik period. Anyone familiar with this release? I am a big fan of Al Cohn.

Merry Christmas all!

Peace.....

42665737yw.jpg

42665740qm.jpg

Here's a variation on this theme ... :D

45941909tx.jpg

45941910vk.jpg

45941911fj.jpg

I had tried to get a copy of this in the early 2000s (the Jim Flora cover art of course was and is a big selling point too ;)), but originals (on eBay.com) were priced out of my range, and the FS reissue was nowhere in sight. So I grabbed the above 3-EP set version of this LP when a nicely priced item showed up on eBay.
Sadly this release is one track short compared to the LP (apparently the playing time of the LP exceeds that of the 3 EPs) which is a rare occurence with these EP versions of LPs (that usually repackage the entire contents). But for me it did nicely, and I feel if I desperately need that ifnal track I can always go on a hunt for the FS reissue again.