Favorite Holiday Movies/music????

BERIGAN

board Christmas eve! ;) I thought that I had seen a similar thread, but I guess I imagined it....just listened to the Mitch Miller cd, which was an LP Mom has always played, and Dad has always hated! :lol: I don't know that I would want to play it, if I hadn't grown up listing to it, but brings back childhood memories for sure!

Other that , not any specific Christmas cds, but some nice Compilations cds from Time/life

As for films, A Christmas Carol of course, each version seems to have something to offer, the 1938 version with Reginald Owen, the 1951 version with Alistair Sims(The one most people seem to like best) and the George C. Scott Version really is quite good, and the longest one of them all. Miracle on 34th Street, the Original 1947 edition , what a perfect cast! Just like the other classic X-masy film from 1947, The Bishop's Wife. (On TCM at Midnight, EST if you care)

And I don't care that people got sick of it since they ran it to death back in the 80's and 90's, It's a Wonderful Life! I watched it back when it was a staple only on PBS in the late 70's.....I always caught it in the middle, which made it seem like a expanded Twilight zone to me, was shocked when I finally saw the film from the beginning! James Stewart is amazing in it, that scene at the bar when he says he is at the end of his rope, always gets me.....I'm glad that it is no longer in the public domain, though that is what made it a success finally after it "flopped" in 1946....

So, what do you guys (and gals) listen/watch???

THE LEMON DROP KID gets watched religiously around our household come Christmastime. My wife sings in the choir at her church's Christmas Eve service; I pick her up around midnight, and we always go home and watch A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951). MIRACLE ON 34th STREET and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE usually get a viewing around this time of year as well. I really wish that CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT would make it to DVD so that we could throw it into the mix as well. And my wife has a special weakness for MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL.

Bing, of course, and the Charlie Brown Christmas by Guaraldi is a staple. It's a Wonderful Life, Charlie Brown Christmas, Christmas Vacation, and for the first time for me, tonight we will be watching Holiday Inn on TCM!!

Edited by GregK

CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT .....

Ah yes! :tup Again, just the original version! Forgot a Christmas Story as well, though probably won't get to see it this year...

Another one they should show at the holidays, Remember the Night with Fred MacMurray, and Barbara Stanwyck

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:107576

... It's a Wonderful Life, Charlie Brown Christmas, Christmas Vacation, and for the first time for me, tonight we will be watching Holiday Inn on TCM!!

"It's A Wonderful Life" man was Donna Reed a fox!!!! 

Oh yes! :wub:

Greg, if You haven't seen it, and can stand another movie after so many, Bishop's Wife is on after Holiday Inn....

and for those who have the Fox Movie Channel, they are going to Run Miracle on 34th Street, the TV Hour of Stars version at 10 pm, and then 1 AM EST....

Nice recommendation of Remember The Night! That one really gets overlooked. One of my favorites this time of year is Holiday Affair with Janet Leigh & Robert Mitchum...a nice little film that hasn't been overexposed. Of course It's A Wonderful Life always gets viewed as well.

Listening to my vinyl version of Duke Pearson's Merry Ole Soul right now...GROOVIN!

The sentimental in me loves 'Meet Me in St. Louis' by Vincente Minnelli. TurnerClassicsMovie here had this on for the Christmas season. Loved watching the film and hearing Judy Garland sing 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' and 'The Boy Next Door' for the umpteenth time.