Bogus Parking Ticket

Earlier this year, I was ticketed $70 for parking overtime in a 2-hr. zone here in San Francisco. The problem? I was not parked there & still at home at the time marked on the citation as first checked to start the 2 hr. period according to the meter maid.

Wrote a letter appealing the ticket which was denied and then went to pay the fine in advance before seeing a hearing official as part of the appeals process. The official asked me if I had any proof that I was not parked there at the time and I brought along my uncle who was home with me that morning to testify that, indeed, my car was still parked in my garage at the time stated. He then stated that he would have to review how the ticket was issued and get back to me on that.

I then received a letter stating that after looking at my appeal letter, the ticket was upheld as I had no documented proof (?!?!) that I was not parked there at the time. Arrrrgh! What happened to the review promised me? Apparently, my family is full of liars too. I have one final shot to appeal before a judge, but I would have to pay another $25 if I lose.

Several people have told me to just forget about it as they've heard that the City is issuing fake tickets to meet quotas due to a budget shortfall, but I am steamed as I am on a tight budget and, in principle, it just seems so wrong. What would you guys do? Guess it's hard to fight City Hall.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I would call the press and tv stations - go on with your uncle - you can really put them on the spot. Chances are that other people will then come forward.

I would have your uncle give a sworn statement - maybe notarized, whatever is required - and then say, ok, if he's lying prosecute him for perjury.

Edited by AllenLowe

You won't beat it, unfortunately. You could check with some kind of legal aid outfit to see what they say, just to satisfy your curiosity about telling it to the judge.

And $70 for a parking ticket? Geez!

EDIT: I was going to suggest calling the Bay Guardian or alt. weekly of your choice about the ticket scam, if you can offer some corroboration. Allen may be onto something there. That would be a hot-button issue, I'd think, if true.

Edited by papsrus

Happens pretty frequently in Chicago. Very hard to beat. And basically since it does happen so often, there is really no interest on the part of the press unless there is a really unusual angle. There was one guy who was being hounded by the parking enforcement after he broke up with a woman who was very friendly with the cops. He kept getting ticket after ticket, sequentially numbered, so someone had a book of tickets reserved to do nothing but harass this guy. That's what it takes now to get in the paper with a beef about a ticket.