Your Top Ten of the Decade 2000-2010

GA Russell

It occurred to me a few months ago that we should have had a thread last December for the Top Ten new albums of the decade.

The computer with my database is packed away, and I'd need it to review what I have opened up in the last ten (eleven) years. But since not everyone has that problem, I'll ask the group for your views.

What are your Top Ten new albums released since Jan. 1, 2000?

• 1 month later...

Well, one would think so, but the noughties started on January 1, 2000, and the 201st decade ended on December 31, 2010. So you do the math! :)

I must be missing something here. A decade = 10 years, but January 1, 2000 - December 31, 2010 = 11 years; just count them:

1st year - 2000

2nd - 2001

3rd - 2002

4th - 2003

5th - 2004

6th - 2005

7th - 2006

8th - 2007

9th - 2008

10th - 2009

11th - 2010

I think the answer is that the 201st decade started on January 1, 2001. The year 2000 is the last year of the 200th decade, which ended on December 31, 2000.

There was no year 0, the Christian era started with the year 1. So the first decade was 1-10 AD, the second 11-20 AD, the third 21-30 AD, etc.

It occurred to me a few months ago that we should have had a thread last December for the Top Ten new albums of the decade.

Notwithstanding the debate about when the century began, and the fact that I have included eleven years in the decade, does anyone have ten nominations?:)

Well, one would think so, but the noughties started on January 1, 2000, and the 201st decade ended on December 31, 2010. So you do the math! :)

I must be missing something here. A decade = 10 years, but January 1, 2000 - December 31, 2010 = 11 years; just count them:

1st year - 2000

2nd - 2001

3rd - 2002

4th - 2003

5th - 2004

6th - 2005

7th - 2006

8th - 2007

9th - 2008

10th - 2009

11th - 2010

I think the answer is that the 201st decade started on January 1, 2001. The year 2000 is the last year of the 200th decade, which ended on December 31, 2000.

There was no year 0, the Christian era started with the year 1. So the first decade was 1-10 AD, the second 11-20 AD, the third 21-30 AD, etc.

Precisely! I made a joke based on the fact that decades can be counted in two different ways (2000-2009 or 2001-2010), hence the smiley!

Precisely! I made a joke based on the fact that decades can be counted in two different ways (2000-2009 or 2001-2010), hence the smiley!

I see. I'm probably too naive to get jokes like that or those jokes don't really come across on the internet, or both...

Notwithstanding the debate about when the century began, and the fact that I have included eleven years in the decade, does anyone have ten nominations?:)

Yes, this thread idea deserves a better fate, so I'll start off. My top ten list of new releases 2000-09/10 could look something like this:

Dizzy Gillespie & Charlie Parker - Town Hall, New York City, June 22, 1945

Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall

Norman Granz' J.A.T.P. - Carnegie Hall, 1949 [with Charlie Parker, Fats Navarro, Sonny Criss a.o.]

Duke Ellington - The Jaywalker

Duke Ellington - New York, New York

Duke Ellington - Togo Brava Suite

Dave Brubeck - Jazz At The College Of The Pacific, Volume 2

Grant Green - Live At Club Mozambique

Andrew Hill - Passing Ships

Horace Silver - Live at Newport '58

posted this elsewhere as part of a larger list... Hans' math is correct of course (as we all knew back when the new millenium was welcomed one year too soon), so the first four may or may not count... no discoveries such as the Monk/Trane Carnegie Hall or the Diz/Bird Town Hall, just new stuff (years given are years of recording, not necesarily of release):

Sonny Rollins - This Is What I Do (Milestone 2000)

Irene Schweizer - Chicago Piano Solo (Intakt 2000)

Cecil Taylor - The Willisau Concert (Intakt 2000)

Eric Watson - Full Metal Quartet (Owl 2000)

Gianni Gebbia - Arcana Major/Sonic Tarots Session (Rastascan 2001)

Carlo Actis Dato - Istanbul Rap (yvp 2002)

Derek Bailey - Ballads (Tzadik 2002)

Erik Friedlander - Maldoror (Brassland 2002)

Irene Schweizer & Pierre Favre - Ulrichsberg (Intakt 2003)

Atomic - The Bikini Tapes (Jazzland 2004)

Jacques Coursil - Minimal Brass (Tzadik 2004)

Richard Galliano - Ruby, My Dear (Dreyfus 2004)

Septeto Rodriguez (Roberto Juan Rodriguez) - Baila! Gitano Baila! (Tzadik ca. 2004)

Belmondo & Yusef Lateef - Influence (B Flat 2005)

Don Friedman - From A to Z (Act 2005)

David Liebman / Richie Beirach / Ron McClure / Billy Hart - Redemption: Quest Live in Europe (Hat 2005)

Paul Shapiro - It's In the Twilight (Tzadik 2005)

Colin Vallon - Ailleurs (Hat 2006)

• 2 weeks later...

The computer with my database is packed away, and I'd need it to review what I have opened up in the last ten (eleven) years. But since not everyone has that problem, I'll ask the group for your views.

Off the top of my head...

1. Todd Sickafoose - "Tiny Resistors"

2. Jeremy Udden - "Plainville"

3. Bill Frisell - "Disfarmer"

4. Tim Collins - "Fade"

5. Guillermo Klein - "Filtros"

6. Marcin Wasilewski Trio - "January"

7. John Zorn - "Alhambra Love Songs"

8. Brian Blade - "Season of Changes"

9. Esbjorn Svensson Trio - "Strange Place for Snow"

10. Matthew Halsall - "Colour Yes"

and an extra one for the controversial included year...

11. Robert Glasper - "In My Element"

All of these are likely to change the moment I remember all the other albums I meant to include on a list like this.

1. Todd Sickafoose - "Tiny Resistors"

2. Jeremy Udden - "Plainville"

3. Bill Frisell - "Disfarmer"

4. Tim Collins - "Fade"

5. Guillermo Klein - "Filtros"

6. Marcin Wasilewski Trio - "January"

7. John Zorn - "Alhambra Love Songs"

8. Brian Blade - "Season of Changes"

9. Esbjorn Svensson Trio - "Strange Place for Snow"

10. Matthew Halsall - "Colour Yes"

and an extra one for the controversial included year...

11. Robert Glasper - "In My Element"

Welcome to the board CE! I like your list.

Welcome to the board CE! I like your list.

Hey, thanks!

I'm pretty happy with the newly recorded music I've been gratefully listening to. A couple years back, my listening habits kinda flipped on their head and I severely curtailed my listening and purchases of jazz made back in the 50's and 60's and focused more on jazz being recorded today. It's been terribly rewarding. Though there's an ironic element to it (or maybe it's to be expected) that some of the new releases music I'm listening to now has rekindled my interest in music made decades ago. I'm currently getting into a big band phase (a jazz subgenre that's never really captured my attention), and current big band composer artists like Darcy James Argue (whose "Secret Machines" could easily have made the above list), Dave Chisholm, Thomas Barber, Guillermo Klein, and Kelly Fenton (and others I'm forgetting currently) have got me scanning the discographies of musicians who haven't recorded a big band album in decades.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome.