2010-11 NCAA Bowl Games

I don't see a thread about this year's college football, so I thought I would start one about the bowl games.

The LA Times links don't carry over to here for some reason, but you can find a real good preview of all of the bowl games by entering "College Bowl Matchups" into the search box, and scroll down to the article with that title, attributed to "Tribune Newspapers".

http://www.latimes.com/

Edited by GA Russell

I don't see a thread about this year's college football, so I thought I would start one about the bowl games.

The LA Times links don't carry over to here for some reason, but you can find a real good preview of all of the bowl games by entering "College Bowl Matchups" into the search box, and scroll down to the article with that title, attributed to "Tribune Newspapers".

http://www.latimes.com/

thanks-i need to catch up on the match ups.

Too many bowls. Too drawn out.

If the NCAA isn't going to institute a playoff system, I wish they'd go back to playing all the big bowl games on New Year's Day for one final holiday football feast, and then be done with it.

(Sorry to pee in the punch bowl right off the bat.)

While I didn't go to the UO (Lewis & Clark is my alma mater) I'm a life long Oregon resident. The idea of the Ducks playing for a national championship, even if it's part of the incredibly flawed BCS, is as good as it can possibly get. I was lucky enough to see the Ducks play this year in Eugene against UCLA, a game they won 60-13. I'll tell you, when they are hitting on all cylinders, it is something to behold. I'm thinking that the odds guys in Vegas might even peg the over/under at 100 points considering the potency of the Oregon and Auburn offenses. This place is going to be nuts between now and January 10th.

If the NCAA isn't going to institute a playoff system, I wish they'd go back to playing all the big bowl games on New Year's Day for one final holiday football feast, and then be done with it.

Paps, I agree 100%. Not peeing in the punch bowl at all.

However, I disagree that there are too many bowl games. Nowadays the schedules are loaded with non-conference pushovers, and the bowl games offer contests between two decent (and presumably evenly matched) teams.

I would just move everything up a few days on the calendar. It's all anti-climactic after Jan. 1, so let's do it all then.

As someone who grew up in Georgia and has always felt the SEC was a cut above the rest of the country, this feels funny, but...GO DUCKS!!!

By the way, does anyone else already feel really, really bad for UConn?

Too many bowls. Too drawn out.

No worries; it needed to be peed in...

These university teams should go back to playing a ten or twelve game schedule, and the best twenty or so should get to play in bowls from Dec 26-Jan 1, and then back to class. We don't need a playoff, we need more schoolin'. Hats off to heroic efforts by true student-athletes over the course of the real/regular season. I attended a small Division I school, and many of the football players were amazing, driven student athletes. At a program level, I know there are exceptions, but what we see today in the bowls is not really college football.

These university teams should go back to playing a ten or twelve game schedule, and the best twenty or so should get to play in bowls from Dec 26-Jan 1, and then back to class. ... what we see today in the bowls is not really college football.

I think many college teams do play a 12-game schedule now. A shorter bowl season ending emphatically on Jan. 1 would be nice.

These university teams should go back to playing a ten or twelve game schedule, and the best twenty or so should get to play in bowls from Dec 26-Jan 1, and then back to class. ... what we see today in the bowls is not really college football.

I think many college teams do play a 12-game schedule now. A shorter bowl season ending emphatically on Jan. 1 would be nice.

One of my big complaints about the length of the current bowl season is the amount of downtime that precedes the championship game. Too much time for rust to set in as well as all the media distractions.

• 2 weeks later...

NCAA stiffs Buckeyes!

ESPN: COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Five Ohio State football players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, must sit out the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits, the NCAA ruled Thursday.

All of the players be eligible for the Jan. 4 Allstate Sugar Bowl, however.

Five players were found to have sold awards, gifts and university apparel, plus receive improper benefits in 2009. In addition to missing five games next season, Pryor, Mike Adams, Daniel Herron, Devier Posey and Solomon Thomas must repay money and benefits ranging in value from $1,000 to $2,500. The repayments must be made to a charity

wtf is with these players!? something in them "buckeye leaf" stickers numbing their brains? or just the lineage of Hayes, Schlichter, Clarett, Tatum ...

• 2 weeks later...

Where are we at here?

Big Ten tanks on New Year's Day, with the SEC going 3-0 against them.

I didn't think TCU had a shot against Wisconsin. Hm. ... Wisconsin DBs lined up 10 yards off of the TCU wideouts all day long, and TCU took advantage of it. Curious strategy. I would have thought the Badgers would make an adjustment there at halftime. Nope.

Most intense game I've seen so far was the FSU-South Carolina tilt New Year's Eve. Both teams were absolutely flying at each other -- a car wreck on just about every play.

Weis to Florida as offensive coordinator. What's next? Belichick as defensive coordinator?

State of Fla. had six bowl teams this year and they came out of it 5-1.

Stanford looked unbeatable last night. Polished, efficient. I can see why their QB Andrew Luck is projected as the top pick in the draft, if he leaves college.

Stanford's only loss was to Oregon. Auburn is going to have their hands full against the Ducks.

I've got to hand it to Harbaugh. Stanford definitely has decent talent, but it looked to me like VT was dramatically outcoached. On those long runs from scrimmage, and especially on those TD passes, the VT defense was repeatedly way out of position. Luck was being praised by the announcers for being so deadly accurate (and he was pretty sharp), but on several of his big pass plays, all he had to do was lob a safe ball out there to a WIDE open guy. That was all about coaching, play-calling, making adjustments.

Oregon's offense is definitely outstanding, and Chip Kelly has been masterful this year (especially in the 3rd and 4th quarters, when they've really run up the score). On the other hand, I've only seen Auburn once (vs South Carolina), and Newton looked like Superman. Absolutely unstoppable. I don't envy either defense, but whichever one steps up and prevents big plays, that will decide the game. Should be fun.

Stanford looked unbeatable last night. Polished, efficient. I can see why their QB Andrew Luck is projected as the top pick in the draft, if he leaves college.

Stanford's only loss was to Oregon. Auburn is going to have their hands full against the Ducks.

I've got to hand it to Harbaugh. Stanford definitely has decent talent, but it looked to me like VT was dramatically outcoached. On those long runs from scrimmage, and especially on those TD passes, the VT defense was repeatedly way out of position. Luck was being praised by the announcers for being so deadly accurate (and he was pretty sharp), but on several of his big pass plays, all he had to do was lob a safe ball out there to a WIDE open guy. That was all about coaching, play-calling, making adjustments.

On ESPN 2 this morning, Trent Dilfer made the comment that Harbaugh is playing chess while other coaches are playing checkers. Don't know that that's true, but it was a good line.