Dizzy Gillespie

romualdo

Anyone out there with copies of either or both of these French Vogue 10" LP's (LD 132 & 134)

There are titles on both of these LP's that don't appear on the Lord discography or Jazzdiscography or on any of the Gillespie Vogue (black digipak) CD releases

I'm sourcing these from images of the front covers

Vol. 1 - Exactly like you

Vol. 2 - How High The Moon, My Blue Heaven, Sweet Sue & All Of Me

Maybe they have alternate names?

Any help would be much appreciated

Track details.

Volume 1.

side A: Mon Homme - Oobladee - Say eh! - 'S Wonderful

side B: Always - Moon Nocturne - Exactly Like You - Clappin' Rhythm

44176155_m.jpg

Volume 2

side A: How High the Moon - This Is Always - My Blue Heaven - Somebody Loves Me

side B: Fais Gaffe! - Sweet Sue - All of Me - Lady Bird

jazzpicturesvogue134gillespie.jpg

'Fais Gaffe' is also known as 'Watch Out'

Minor correction, brownie- it's "This Is The Way" on Vol. 2, not "This Is Always"

At any rate, the question remains... why are the tracks mentioned by romualdo not included in discographies or (apparently) on the digipak CD reissues?

I have the Contemporary 10" LP (Dizzy In Paris), and none of the tracks listed by romualdo were selected for that issue, fwiw.

Perhaps some of the tracks came from a different session? (without Dizzy?)

Can't vouch for its accuracy, but jazzdisco.org shows this:

Dizzy Gillespie Sextet

Dizzy Gillespie (tp, vo) Nat Peck (tb) Wade Legge (p) Lou Hackney (b) Al Jones (d) Joe Carroll (vo)

Paris, France, February 22, 1953

53V4459 Always

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) V 5144, EPL 7940, LD 132, LD 496-30

53V4460 My Man (Mon Homme)

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) V 5150, EPL 7007, LD 132; Mode (F) MDINT 9369; Contemporary C 358

53V4460-2 My Man (alt. take) (Mon Homme (alt. take))

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) LD 496-30

53V4461 I Got Rhythm (Clappin' Rhythm)

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) V 5150, LD 132

53V4462 Watch Out (Fais Gaffe)

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) V 5145, LD 134, LD 496-30; Pop (F) CBM 60016; Mode (F) CMDINT 9516

53V4463 Moon Nocturne

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) V 5145, EPL 7007, EPL 7940, LD 132, LD 496-30

53V4464 This Is The Way

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) V 5144, EPL 7007, LD 134, LD 496-30

53V4465 'S Wonderful

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) V 5151, EPL 7007, EPL 7940, LD 132, LD 496-30; Mode (F) MDINT 9144

53V4466 | V7835 Ooo-Bla-Dee

Disques Swing (F) M 33324; Vogue (F) V 5151, V45-603, EPL 7596, LD 132; Contemporary C 358

Edited by Jim R

Jim R, this list cannot be 100% correct. I have an original pressing of Vogue/Swing M33.324 and it definitely does NOT have two takes of "Mon Homme".

Not that I would doubt the rest of the release entries but this should not happen in such listings, especially since 10in releases with NINE instead of the usual 8 tracks (and then 2 takes of one track) do look a bit suspect.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Perhaps some of the tracks came from a different session? (without Dizzy?)

You're right about that - have just done some searching on the Lord Database sans Dizzy Gillespie & have found all of the titles on a Joe Carroll Vogue Session (Feb 28, 1953)

It's basically DG's band minus DG & Joe Carroll vocals - I wondering if this has ever had a CD release - it doesn't appear to be in the digipak series but could have been released in the early 90's Vogue series?

post-11057-129193788626_thumb.png

Edited by romualdo

With a couple of minor exceptions, all the official February 1953 music by the Dizzy Gillespie unit recorded in Paris for Vogue/Swing and Blue Star were reunited on this Giant Steps double CD:

512sNXIsz%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

along with the Wade Legge trio Vogue session (also from February 1953).

-----

Jim R., thanks for catching my typo on 'This Is the Way'

Edited by brownie

With a couple of minor exceptions, all the official February 1953 music by the Dizzy Gillespie unit recorded in Paris for Vogue/Swing and Blue Star were reunited on this Giant Steps double CD:

512sNXIsz%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Looks like this is worth grabbing - the 1953 concert titles (16) have similar timing to the Vogue Digipak but the omitted 17th track (I don't stand a ghost of a chance) with DG on piano is included.

IMHO the real bonus must be the included elusive Wade Legge Blue Note 10" (5031 - 8 tracks)

It's a pity the February Joe Carroll/DG band minus DG session was not included (bit of false advertising here - similar to the Spanish labels)

Wonder if Giant Steps has just needle dropped this CD or would it be from original sources?

Edited by romualdo

Wonder if Giant Steps has just needle dropped this CD or would it be from original sources?

Not sure what access they had to the original material but they have complete recordings, not the truncated versions that came out on many Vogue releases from these Dizzy sessions.

• 2 years later...

I have an LP called "A Musical Safari" on a weird label. It is a 1974 release of a 1961 performance at the Monterey Jazz Festival. It is a quintet with Lalo Schifrin and they are doing stuff that they typically did back then, like "Kush" and "Desafinado." It is a very good quality recording, better than what I was expecting. Does anyone know if this has been released on CD?

I have an LP called "A Musical Safari" on a weird label. It is a 1974 release of a 1961 performance at the Monterey Jazz Festival. It is a quintet with Lalo Schifrin and they are doing stuff that they typically did back then, like "Kush" and "Desafinado." It is a very good quality recording, better than what I was expecting. Does anyone know if this has been released on CD?

according to the Lord Discography, 4 titles were released on a Tring International CD (GRF065) - not sure of the title

is your LP on the Booman label?

I also have the one on the Boorman Records label (1979). It's the same date:

R-2398345-1283107690.jpeg

Duke´s Intro & Dizzy´s Rap
Desafinado
Lorraine
Long Long Summer
Oo Pop A Dah
Pau De Arara
Kush

Edited by marcello

I also have the one on the Boorman Records label (1979). It's the same date:

R-2398345-1283107690.jpeg

Duke´s Intro & Dizzy´s Rap
Desafinado
Lorraine
Long Long Summer
Oo Pop A Dah
Pau De Arara
Kush

I have an Affinity LP from 1985 with the same tracks.