Is Vince Guaraldi jazz?

dave9199

The Vince Guaraldi music that I have heard has been strongly rooted in the jazz tradition. A very timely thread, my family has been listening to A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS for the past week. "Christmas Time Is Here" is a real stand-out track. There is a lot to take notice of here, or you can just sit back and enjoy it along with a conversation.

I just assumed Guaraldi was jazz...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Alexander really had it right about people type-casting him as "That Peanuts" guy ... the situation is different from him just doing any old soundtrack.

Guaraldi wrote what has got to be the most recognizable tune from one of the most-beloved Christmas specials of all time, based on the work of one of the most widely known and loved cartoonists of all time.

Does anyone have any first- or second-hand info on what Guaraldi thought about the whole thing?

I don't have much Guaraldi in my collection, but of the two I do have, I would call one of them essential. That would be the aforementioned "Cast Your Fate to the Wind." I know a number of people who consider this a "desert island disc". The other is "Vince Guaraldi at Grace Cathedral." It's a live recording of a "Mass" Guaraldi composed that incorporates the church's rather large choir into his trio's music. Not obstrusively I might add, but in a very listenable and coherent manner. I find the whole thing a very interesting piece of music, especially the 12 minute rendition of "Holy Communion Blues." That tune is one of my all-time favorite live recordings. Nothing overwhelming, just a nice comfortable jaunt that draws you further and further into the music as it plays itself out. Well worth having and, because it's on the Fantasy label, readily available.

Up over and out.

Sorry to be so terse but this is a ridiculous conversation. I listen to very little West Coast jazz but there's something very unique about VG. Unfortunately, most people's opinions of his work (and, consequently, his entire aesthetic) are governed by the fact that he made that soundtrack. If you ask me, VG understood saudades much better than Getz or any other American who employed Brazilian modes.

For the record, even though it has next to nothing to do with the rest of my collection, this is one of my favorite records jazz or otherwise.....

f44691cf3zd.jpg

I really don't think there's much of an argument to further, Brandon. After re-reading the thread, it's obvious the overwhelming consensus was that VG's music was indeed jazz. Some just seem to like him more than others, which is inevitable with any artist. Plus, people can only base their opinions on what they've heard, which may not be every single recording that the artist has done. There have been several things by VG mentioned that I'm curious to check out- I do have the Getz/Tjader and I need to check it out again having heard your hearty recommendation! :)

• 2 weeks later...

for those who want to get some more of Vince Guaraldi might want to check out the new homepage his son David has recently started (and also trying to release some previously unreleased material) :

Here it is....

Playing Jazz with a smile that's reflected in his recordings is one of the most outstanding achievements I see/hear in his music.. no doubt for me... its Jazz...

Cheers, Tjobbe

Hey, what's WRONG with the Peanuts theme. I oughtta sock some of you in the mouth :)

Not a thing, Chris. It's certainly there on my shelves. Filed in the jazz section, apparently to the horror of a few... ;)

I remember watching one of the earliest Jay-Leno-hosted Tonight Shows: Wynton Marsalis was the musical guest, with a 5-or-6-tet and they played -- Vince Guaraldi's Peanuts theme! So I guess even Hardbop would have to concede that VG is jazz... :g

I remember watching one of the earliest Jay-Leno-hosted Tonight Shows: Wynton Marsalis was the musical guest, with a 5-or-6-tet and they played -- Vince Guaraldi's Peanuts theme!  So I guess even Hardbop would have to concede that VG is jazz...  :g

Hi Maren,

its from the '94 Joe Cool blues album where he plays some new tunes for a TV show with his sixtet while Ellis with his trio is doing six Guaraldi originials...

The AMG Link

If it comes to Guaraldi covers I'll prefer the David Benoit one....

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

This has nothing to do with nothing, but in reading this thread I was struck by the thought: what if instead of Guaraldi, someone like Mingus or Archie Shepp did the "Peanuts" music...

B)

and we're off...........................

"Fables of Linus"

"Lucy's Blue Skylight"

"Don't Be Afraid, Brown's Afraid Too"

"Something Like A Dog"

I just love "what ifs". :)

Cool! I started something without even trying... ;)

Love those suggestions, but I wanna play too. How 'bout:

"Snoopy's Fight Song"

"Reincarnation of Woodstock"

"Wam Bam Thank You Peppermint Patty"

"Dog Callin' Blues"

"E's Flat (Charlie Brown's) Flat (on his back) Too"

"Song With Pumpkin"

"Orange Was the Color of Her Dress, then Pig Pen Showed Up..."

I believe that on Cal Tjader's album "Live At Grace Cathedral" he dedicated the compostion "I Showed Them" to Vince. I don't have any Guaraldi music except for the christmas cd's but that's something I'll change down the road. That Guaraldi and Bola Sete album look pretty cool. Guaraldi is alright in my book.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back, but it just made me laugh.

Don't apologize- this is a good topic, and it seems it's been buried too long! :unsure: Wow, time flies. Anyway, hopefully somebody checks out Vince as a result (again, I hope). :cool:

If you have to call it something, call it jazz. It's light (as opposed to lite), not too much to sink your teeth into, but it's still "jazz". I'm w/Free For All about the "background music" aspect, which is not a derogatory categorization. Quality "ambient" music that creates a good convivial atmosphere is nothing to sneeze at. Guaraldi's music works quite nicely in this manner, thank you.

But if you don't have to call it something, enjoy it for what it is, as part of a well-balanced breakfast, and leave well enough alone. ;)

That's how I became familiar with Guaraldi's music, as background music at a bookstore. I asked the clerk what was playing (Impressions of a Black Orpheus) and proceeded right to the cd shop to buy a copy and have loved it ever since. 'The Trio' disk and 'A Flower is a Lovesome Thing' are also nice records. I particularly dig Eddie Duran on those sessions.