Play Along CDs...

tonym

Just wondering if there are any board members who use these on a regular basis, as part of a practice/improv. routine.

If so, which ones (Aebersold etc.)?

Any recommendations/criticisms or whatever.

I do rely upon these, partly because of where I live, my circumstances and times when I am able to practice. I don't use them every time I practice but they are a frequent aide.

Let me know thanks.

cheers, tonym

As a drummer, there are only about 5 or 6, if that, play alongs that will help my cause. Therefore, the old drummerless piano-bass-guitar trio albums are what I use to get my play along time in. And yes, I think it's an invaluable resource to be able to play along on some great tunes with players who can really play.

I grew up with Aebersolds and still use them for practice and teaching. They are very useful for learning tunes and improvisation fundamentals like time, harmony, melody and rhythm. I think of them as "part of a balanced meal" meaning that while they are very useful for the mentioned reasons, they are only part of the process. They obviously don't help with learning to interact w/the rhythm section or other players (unless one uses them with another player). It's a bit like learning a foreign language from a book only- you need to practice conversing to really get it.

The chosen tempos are often not the most representative of a given tune, and you can't change them. There are some enharmonic spellings that IMHO are confusing (example: Dbmin7/Gb7/Bmaj7.....these three chords should all be written in either the sharp key or the flat key but not both- this confuses students who are learning about chord sequences representing key centers). They only offer the tune in one key, although there are some volumes that include tunes in all keys. Most of these problems can be avoided by using computer programs like "Band in a Box", which allow alteration of tempo, key and groove. I expect that there are probably better versions of this available by now. I can't take my computer to teach, so I tend to use the Aebersolds.

Even with the flaws, I think that these play-a-longs provide a valuable opportunity for students to learn the repertiore and gain experience and confidence playing with a decent (often excellent) rhythm section without feeling inhibited. Often the actual live rhythm sections that are available for students are also dealing with their own issues, and there can be time, comping, etc. problems that distract the soloist and minimize the benefit. Just don't forget to play with other humans whenever possible, even if only in a duo setting. That's where you get to converse and see where your time/changes/etc. are at!

They do cover a lot of good tunes, and I see where there's a Joe Henderson play-a-long on the horizon! :g

I use Aebersold Play-Alongs but I change them a bit both for myself and my students. I rip them to MP3s and using Winamp with LoopMaster and PaceMaker plugins I can change the tempos and/or the key they are in. Go to the lessons page on my website and check out the right side of the page for links to these (http://www.siasmusic.com/lessons.html).

In addition, I also use Band In A Box. If I were on a limited budget I would buy this instead of Play Alongs since with this you can make all the play alongs you want. It even comes with the realbook already encoded.

Upright Bill and I have used some of the Aebersold books as part of our duo (guitar/bass) practice sessions. This really works well for me, as I can practice with the CD's by myself to get a general feel for the songs, before we try to play them as a duo.

Volume 54 (Maiden Voyage) and Volume 70 (Killer Joe) are good places to start. I also really enjoyed Volume 78 (Holiday Jazz Classics), but I've had enough Christmas music at this point.

Another Aebersold volume I've found quite useful is #3 (The II/V7/I Progression). This one really helped me learn both major and minor II-V-I's in all keys.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All:

First time on this Organissmo, heard about it from All About Jazz. I'm a vocalist working on my first CD (4 years and counting, my own nickel -- you get it).

Just went to Jay Clayton's scat lab in NYC for the first time and got her Vocal Practice Series Cd, Vamps and Blues to take home (as well as her vocal warm-ups, which are brilliant). You can reach Jay at JA3231@aol.com if you want to know more. I'm sure these will work for other players as well as singers. Most of them are just piano, the last cut or two have a trio.

If you'd like to hear some of what I'm working on for my first CD, check out these clips:

www.euroclubdejazz.com/ellifordyce/files/hiddensamples.htm

Would love to hear from any of you, particuarly around NY area.

Elli

Yeah, that and Moe always poking his fingers in your eyes...

You: HEY MOE! HOW MANY CHORUSES DO I GET?

Moe (holding out his right hand): Pick two.

You (picking the first and second fingers): One, two.

Moe's Sound Effect (poking those two fingers in your eyes): BOOP!!!

Moe: There you go, you chowderhead, play two. And get it with right the first one! The boss likes to edit!

Of such things are greatness made.

A friend of mine once played a gig in a place like that, tenor sax and rhythm section. He was in the toilets in the interval and a couple of fellas came in, started peeing and said to each other "Good band but I don't think much of that fat bastard on trumpet..."

My friend was the big guy. He said later to a bandmate "Aye, I must be bloody good if I can make it sound like a trumpet!"

Cheep beer though.