Miles Davis - Bitches Brew Live

mjzee

A bit like groups like Foreigner and Rush later on. Never really translated over here. Maybe we had more than enough of our own plodding blues-rock and larger than life bands.

Fwiw, Rush is popular in the UK. They are from Toronto after all. Again fwiw, Rush preceded Foreigner.

For me (American btw) it's a pretty simple sweeping generalization:

British invasion rock bands = great

American rock bands = BAD, very BAD.

Edited by JETman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grand Funk Railroad never made much impression in the UK. We tended to lap up much of what came out of America but for some reason they were neither cool nor popular. I recall the very first Melody Maker I bought had a front page item about them.

A bit like groups like Foreigner and Rush later on. Never really translated over here. Maybe we had more than enough of our own plodding blues-rock and larger than life bands.

Um, Rush isn't American.

Rush had a bit of a UK cult following of semi-headbangers around 1978 onwards. There must have been a 'Toronto Invasion' around that time. 'Martha & the Muffins' etc.

Not what I said - I did make the point that we lapped up oodles of US rock, meaning to make clear it was very good quality. Good lord, America invented the genre.

I might have a distorted take on those times as I really stopped listening to rock c.1976. My memory of the Foreigner/Rush era (late 70s) is of them having little traction in musical scene dominated by punk/new wave.

Perhaps Slade took GFR's place in the UK, as I recall hearing them often while visiting.

Slade were primarily a pop band - they may have started out on the general rock circuit but somewhow adapted to the the whole Glam-Rock thing around '72 and rolled out a sequence of very catchy singles. They were also very tongue-in-cheek; I might be wrong, but I'd always assumed GFR were more 'serious' about themselves.

Sorry about the US/Canadian mix up.

Not what I said - I did make the point that we lapped up oodles of US rock, meaning to make clear it was very good quality. Good lord, America invented the genre.

I might have a distorted take on those times as I really stopped listening to rock c.1976. My memory of the Foreigner/Rush era (late 70s) is of them having little traction in musical scene dominated by punk/new wave.

Perhaps Slade took GFR's place in the UK, as I recall hearing them often while visiting.

Slade were primarily a pop band - they may have started out on the general rock circuit but somewhow adapted to the the whole Glam-Rock thing around '72 and rolled out a sequence of very catchy singles. They were also very tongue-in-cheek; I might be wrong, but I'd always assumed GFR were more 'serious' about themselves.

I know that YOU did not say that! I did, and it has always served me well!

We can probably debate all day as to whether we Americans "invented the genre". Jazz - yes, R 'n R - not so sure.

I know that YOU did not say that! I did, and it has always served me well!

We can probably debate all day as to whether we Americans "invented the genre". Jazz - yes, R 'n R - not so sure.

Sorry - misread that again. I thought you meant I was making a sweeping generalisation rather than that you were choosing to make one.

If America didn't invent R'n R I'm not sure who did.

'Rock', on the other hand, seemed to take on a wider range of geographical influences.

Half the fun of Slade was seeing what outrageous get-up Dave Hill would appear in for each appearance on TV. What a character ! And that guy with Mud in the frock and ear-rings was just as bad.

Not sure what this has got to do with 'Bitches Brew' though. :D

Edited by sidewinder

Half the fun of Slade was seeing what outrageous get-up Dave Hill would appear in for each appearance on TV. What a character ! And that guy with Mud in the frock and ear-rings was just as bad.

Not sure what this has got to do with 'Bitches Brew' though. :D

You seen how that guy on trumpet on Bitches Brew dressed? Every bit as daft as Dave Hill!