Merry Xmas, Happy New Year and Winter Solstice Joys

So this is Christmas, and what have you done?

I've done grown quite sick of that song as well as his bandmate's little Christmas ditty. Despite that, Merry Christmas everyone! The Savior is born!

John's Christmas song is one of the best written. But "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" is one of the worst.

Merry Christmas everyone! Very likely there was no historical Jesus! And if there was, he wasn't born on December 25th! So nuts to your Savior!

God Loves you Alex! :P

It's funny how certain Grinch like folks feel compelled to voice their opinions on threads like this with people that don't share their views, yet would get majorly pissed off if you went on threads about artists they like and said I never listen to _____, they suck...nuts to them!

Weird....

It's funny how certain Grinch like folks feel compelled to voice their opinions on threads like this with people that don't share their views, yet would get majorly pissed off if you went on threads about artists they like and said I never listen to _____, they suck...nuts to them!

Weird....

Humbug, humbug, hum-BUG! Humbug, humbug, hum-BUG!

Weird....

ditto.

Arguably Jesus (and by extension Christianity) has done more harm to the world in the last 2000 years than all the bad music put together.

Look, you can't have it both ways, if Jesus is "the reason for the season," then you have to accept that some people not only don't believe in him, but think the whole idea of Jesus to be laughable. Besides, I'm just having a little fun. It's not like I'm mad about Christmas or anything. But thinking that this day is somehow special in any spiritual way is ludicrous. Once again, Jesus likely did not actually exist (kind of hard to believe that such an influential person didn't leave a single written record, or that any contemporary didn't actually - you know - NOTICE him), but even if he did, HE WASN'T BORN ON DECEMBER 25th. So this day is NOT holy. Not at all. Not even a little bit. The only reason we celebrate ANYTHING in late December is because our Stone Age ancestors thought that the sun was going out and that we'd better throw a big party to convince it to come back. And it seemed to work! So they did it every year, right up until the Christians came along and said, "Hey, Pagans! Come join OUR church! You can throw a big party in late December. We'll make it the birthday of OUR God!"

So chill, okay. Drink some eggnog. Listen to Frank Sinatra. Look at the pretty lights on your (pagan) tree and just RELAX. Jesus has fuck-all to do with any of it...

My wish for you for Christmas is that you come to peace and some level of security with your atheism, so you don't have to shove it in everyone's faces all the time.

Nobody is attacking what you believe, why do you attack what others hold dear, in their face?

Can't you just stay out of a thread that has people wishing each other well, if you can't do likewise?

Edited by Aggie87

My wish for you for Christmas is that you come to peace and some level of security with your atheism, so you don't have to shove it in everyone's faces all the time.

Nobody is attacking what you believe, why do you attack what others hold dear, in their face?

Can't you just stay out of a thread that has people wishing each other well, if you can't do likewise?

Amen.

I think I DID wish people well back when I first posted. I only responded when someone made a snide remark about my original post...

And I'm VERY comfortable with my atheism. I'm so comfortable with it, I want to share it with the world!

When Christians stop bitching about people saying "Happy Holidays" and complaining about a "War on Christmas," I'll stop slamming Christianity. Honestly, apart from people trying to claim that America is a "Christian Nation" founded on "Christian principles," I have no quarrel with Christianity. Just keep it out of the public sphere (get it out of the pledge and off our money), and I'll be happy to let you quietly believe whatever ridiculous bullshit you choose. But the key word here is "quietly." In other words, do it where I can't see it, dig?

Hell, I LIKE Fairy Tales! I've got a big book of the original Grimm Fairy Tales. They're awesome!

BTW, though I don't know him well, as some others here do, I thought of Son of Weizen ... Rolf, today, and I do hope he is all right. Or as all right as one can hope to be under such circumstances.

I had a wonderful day with my family today. Hope you all did, too. Peace.

Yes, in all seriousness, I do hope Rolf had a good day today...

I think I DID wish people well back when I first posted. I only responded when someone made a snide remark about my original post...

That's a hell of alot of revisionism there. The only "snide remark" that was made was that somebody said they're tired of Lennon's Xmas song. You took that as an opportunity to make a cutting remark about the Savior that others believe in. I guess I missed the snide remark that set you off.

And I'm VERY comfortable with my atheism. I'm so comfortable with it, I want to share it with the world!

Your perception of yourself is VERY different from how you come across then.

When Christians stop bitching about people saying "Happy Holidays" and complaining about a "War on Christmas," I'll stop slamming Christianity. Honestly, apart from people trying to claim that America is a "Christian Nation" founded on "Christian principles," I have no quarrel with Christianity. Just keep it out of the public sphere (get it out of the pledge and off our money), and I'll be happy to let you quietly believe whatever ridiculous bullshit you choose. But the key word here is "quietly." In other words, do it where I can't see it, dig?

Hell, I LIKE Fairy Tales! I've got a big book of the original Grimm Fairy Tales. They're awesome!

You're taking your gripes about society and standing on your soapbox here on this board, to an audience that isn't doing the things you're bitching about. If those are your gripes you're wasting your (and our) time here.

It's a little bit of a strange Christmas Eve. We've been visiting relatives in Germany - the plan was to fly back to Atlanta today and spend Christmas with my father and siblings. As it is, our flight was canceled, and we're stuck in a hotel near the Frankfurt airport. The airline has apparently booked the entire hotel, so all of the "guests" are sharing the same odd, Purgatory-like existence. The rooms are decent, although plain, and we are fed a very plain meal three times a day - sorry, no refills on the Coke. But my wife and I are together, and I've got plenty of music on my iPod. So Merry Christmas, all!

Jeff, I'm curious which hotel if you don't mind saying?

It's a little bit of a strange Christmas Eve. We've been visiting relatives in Germany - the plan was to fly back to Atlanta today and spend Christmas with my father and siblings. As it is, our flight was canceled, and we're stuck in a hotel near the Frankfurt airport. The airline has apparently booked the entire hotel, so all of the "guests" are sharing the same odd, Purgatory-like existence. The rooms are decent, although plain, and we are fed a very plain meal three times a day - sorry, no refills on the Coke. But my wife and I are together, and I've got plenty of music on my iPod. So Merry Christmas, all!

And do you have any hope of flying back soon? Winter storm headed for Atlanta, if the weather reports are accurate.

And do you have any hope of flying back soon? Winter storm headed for Atlanta, if the weather reports are accurate.

We got a Lufthansa flight out of Frankfurt on Christmas Day. It was scheduled to leave at noon, so it left around 2:30 - not bad, considering that this trip has been full of "adventures." My wonderful niece picked us up at the Atlanta airport, in spite of the snow, and we were home by 8:30 PM on Christmas, Atlanta time. Of course, our bodies were still on German time, so it felt like 2:30 AM.

Rostasi, it was a new hotel - the Park Inn. It seems to be the only completed building in what will be a big development near the airport - Gateway Gardens.

Anyway, Happy Holidays to all.

Atlanta was pretty nice last week - at least compared to points West and North. Right now, though, wee bits of snow on my hotel window. I've heard it's supposed to clear up - if not warm up - tomorrow.

Well, here's fun for all the family on the Feast of Stephen, regardless of your religious affiliations (or non-affiliations):

The History Stuff

Surprise the family with a wren rather than a turkey.

Ever hear the Elvis Costello song "The Saint Stephen's Day Murders"? Great song about getting done in by the holidays...