Integrated amplifiers

ghost of miles

Since he can afford these high quality speakers, I recommend he consider the finest integrated amplifier that I have heard, which will drive those speakers well and make them shine.

This is an amplifier that will not be the weakest link in an audio chain. An amazing machine, a great value in comparison with so many other high priced items.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORII.htm

There's some innovations here that are not available elsewhere such as the Hazen Grid Modification (I've heard before and after and it's quite a significant change.) And there are THREE levels of regulation here, and that is part of its magic. And there's no maintenance to do here, completely self-biasing, every few years buy some output tubes, ever ten years or so buy the input tubes, once a lifetime perhaps buy rectifier tubes.

Hand built in the USA. Point to point wiring in careful layout. Not one circuit board or op-amp. Three sets of transformers!

I have this in my main system, and it's Mk II predecessor in my bedroom system. (I realize how fabulous a luxury that is). The Mk II is great but the Mk III is a step above, the modifications he made really let it get to the heart of the music. It has all the holographic and corporeal virtues of tube technology,and all the wonderful solidity and reliability and strength of solid state. (This has speaker driving power equivalent to about a 100 watt solid state amp). I could recommend nothing else to someone serious about fidelity. I will probably never need to buy another amplifier.

mk3walnut1280.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I have had a good experience with my unit from Cambridge Audio. It's only 40 watts but very clean sounding. I got mine from Audio Advisor. A similar model here.

To correct a common misconception, watts need only be a concern if your speakers are inefficient. You can drive a highly efficient speaker system with low wattage and it will sound just fine.

I just bought my first pair of speakers (Totem Rainmakers). Any suggestions for decently priced integrated amplifiers?

Just looked these up. They are so-called bookshelf speakers, which should never be put on bookshelves. They should be placed on stands, with their backs away from the walls at least a good foot or more, since they are ported on the back. Basically what he has is a pair of inefficient 2-way bookshelf speakers with poor/non-existent low frequency reproduction. A push-pull amplifier suggested above, no matter how good, will do absolutely nothing for these speakers, imho. He will definitely need an integrated amp that can drive a subwoofer.

Edited by Dmitry

I disagree. I've driven a friend's inefficient bookself speakers with my Torii Mk II to demonstrate what it would do for them and they came alive. Unless David's pal has a really big space (and if he did, he'd probably have big floorstanders now, he can get some seriously good sound from the Torii amp. Not sure about the Rotel or Cambridge Audio amp. . . .

I'd recommend for a small or medium sized room a 20 to 30 watt tube amp or a sixty or maybe a bit more watt solid state amp/receiver/whatever.

Stefan, I know exactly what you mean.

The thing is, if you can fall in love with the right, very efficient, probably single-driver speaker, the cheapest one can be the very best sounding! I just haven't ever found a love or lust for that sort of speaker. And I fell hard for the Radial speakers, that thrive on the big amp's power in reserve.

I'll keep tempting you Stefan. :) I tempted Cary long enough.

Let's just agree to disagree. I haven't heard these speakers, and the speakers I use are quite different, but I think they'll produce some very nice music, with enough low content. They're very well thought of by many listeners. I'm not one who thinks you have to be able to reproduce the very lowest frequencies to have great sound. If you are, find.

I'm not one who thinks you have to be able to reproduce the very lowest frequencies to have great sound.

When a speaker cuts off at 45 dB, it's not 'great sound'.

I think it depends on the overall sound of the speaker. I believe that you can have low bass and bad sound, and no low bass and good (even though limited) sound.

I'm not one who thinks you have to be able to reproduce the very lowest frequencies to have great sound.

When a speaker cuts off at 45 dB, it's not 'great sound'.

I think it depends on the overall sound of the speaker. I believe that you can have low bass and bad sound, and no low bass and good (even though limited) sound.

That goes without saying. One can enjoy very good speakers that don't go down to even 55 Hz [Klipsch Heresy come to mind], but they will really shine with a well-matched subwoofer.

Going back to the original post, these 2-way speakers on their stands take up pretty much the same square area as the full-spectrum 3-way speakers, thus negating any room-saving considerations mentioned above. Plus, they have to be moved away from the wall 1-3 feet to achieve any decent bass.

Right about the stands and positioning, but so what? David's friend obviously likes and wants these speakers. He knows what he's getting I'd wager, better than you or I.

And by the way, the specs say 42* not 45, and I personally feel these will allow great sound if used as designed, and reviews support that. A lot depends on the material and the positioning and intended purpose. I rarely listen to material that needs more lower output to be honest, and I have NEVER heard a system with a subwoofer that sounds absolutely right, I always hear the "seam" and don't want to. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not common, I've not experienced one.

We know you won't buy a pair. But you should consider the Torii amp. :)

*http://totemacoustic.com/english/hi-fi/compact/rainmaker/specifications/

Edited by jazzbo

Stefan, I know exactly what you mean.

The thing is, if you can fall in love with the right, very efficient, probably single-driver speaker, the cheapest one can be the very best sounding! I just haven't ever found a love or lust for that sort of speaker. And I fell hard for the Radial speakers, that thrive on the big amp's power in reserve.

I'll keep tempting you Stefan. :) I tempted Cary long enough.

The best I can do for now is a Conrad Johnson Sonographe pre amp/amp combination, which I scored late last year. Although it is solid state, it has a very tube flavor, clean and uncolored, with depth. I'll sit on these until I win the lottery or sell my paintings. Probably better chance with the lottery.....

That looks nice. I've had a lot of experience with amps with those tube types, and ultimately prefer the EL34 and variants. I bet my Torii would kick its ass. ;) Looks too old-timey for me. I've had my share of old amps and I'm not into the look or sound now.

I hope that you guys get to hear a Decware amp one of these days. They changed the way I heard amps.

Edited by jazzbo

That looks nice. I've had a lot of experience with amps with those tube types, and ultimately prefer the EL34 and variants. I bet my Torii would kick its ass. ;) Looks too old-timey for me. I've had my share of old amps and I'm not into the look or sound now.

I hope that you guys get to hear a Decware amp one of these days. They changed the way I heard amps.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/integrated-amp/integrated-225

A good Canadian Co. offering great bang for the buck. 200W/C into 8 ohms + other goodies. Around $1300.

Not sure you're referencing my post. . . . I suppose this could be a great bang for the buck but it's exactly the type of amplifier I personally avoid. Not my cup of tea.

Wasn't referencing your post. It's an alternative for the OP to consider. We're not all tube fans.

Once you hear the Torii amp, you will never use anything else to play music again.

I have two Torii hooked up to my Sony TPS-L2 cassette walkman, one for each channel, and the sound is nothing short of revelatory.