Steve Swallow

Joe G

I've only got a few Scofield albums with Steve in my collection. I find his soloing to be quite fascinating, and wish to hear more of it, as well as some good examples of his compostional approach. So, lay it on me; what do you recommend?

Swallow's been around for a long time, and has played with alot of folks, in alot of different styles.

Check out some of his work with Jimmy Giuffre and Paul Bley. "1961", on ECM, is a reissue of "Fusion" and "Thesis". No guitars to be found, but some very interesting improvisational music going on. I have the two live recordings from this time frame also - "Emphasis, Stuttgart 1961" and ""Flight, Bremen 1961", and can easily recommend both. They reunited in the 90's for a series of recordings, all of which are very good as well.

Swallow has a self-titled release from 1991, which guests Gary Burton and John Scofield, which I like. Originally picked this one up due to Sco's presence. He is also on Pete LaRoca's "Basra" from 1965, if you want to hear him in a prime hard-bop setting alongside Joe Henderson. You might also check him out on a release called "Three Guys", with Lee Konitz and Paul Motian. He's also played on a few Rabih Abou-Khalil discs, if you're interested in hearing him in a fascinating Arab/jazz crossover setting.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head... :)

Most of his Watt releases are worth checking out,but try out his stuff with Gary Burton from the late sixties in the quartets with Larry Coryell or Jerry Hahn on guitar-Duster and Country Roads are my faves,and the duo set Hotel Hello on ECM is a delight.

More recently there've been 3 sets with Henri Texier,seeing Swallow up against the leader's acoustic bass(Izlaz,Colonel Skopje and Respect-all on Label Bleu).Don't forget his work with his other half,Carla Bley.and as part of Paul Motian's Electric BeBop Band-there really is a lot of great Swallow out there-happy listening.

Thanks guys. I just bought an Electric BeBop Band cd from MartyJazz on that other thread, but it hasn't arrived yet, and I don't know what the lineup is. The only Watt album I've heard is Real Book, after I bought it for a friend. I remember it being quite good, and what a cool concept, with the charts for the tunes included. A drummer I met once told me about some quartet albums that Steve did with Jim Hall -- does anyone know about this?

Many of my favorite recordings with Swallow have been mentioned (Basra, the Farmer albums on Atlantic - all of them!, the Giuffre three), some more:

- Always Pack Your Uniform on Top (WATT) (I prefer this over Deconstructed, they're quite similar)

- the new Damaged in Transit

- the Giuffre trio reunion albums on Owl

ubu

Couple more recommended albums of Steve Swallow with Gary Burton. Both on ECM: 'Times Square' and 'Dreams So Real'.

Ubu has already recommended the Owl sessions with Jimmy Giuffre and Paul Bley. 'The Life of the Trio' albums plus 'Fly Away Little Bird'. These are essentials!

One of Swallow's early appearance should not be overlooked, the 'Portrait of Sheila' album on Blue Note where Sheila Jordan is accompanied by Swallow, Barry Galbraith and Denzil Best, a really different BN date and another beauty from the label.

One of Swallow's early appearance should not be overlooked, the 'Portrait of Sheila' album on Blue Note where Sheila Jordan is accompanied by Swallow, Barry Galbraith and Denzil Best, a really different BN date and another beauty from the label.

:tup

one of my favorite vocal albums!

Swallow kills on the Timmons tune (Ms Jordan kills all way)

ubu

I got in touch with Steve Swallow first when listening to the Music of Carla Bley from her ECM period (the 1980 Album called Social Studies) but their are many other records both didi together....

You should at least try out one on your own although its not everybody's taste....

Cheers, Tjobbe

...and what a cool concept, with the charts for the tunes included.

just in case you don't know this site:

http://www.wattxtrawatt.com/library.html

you get all the lead sheets there!

check out the whole site, it's a cool one!

By the way, I saw the Three Guys (Konitz-Swallow-Motian) live, in or around 1997, and it was one of the best live concerts I ever saw! Konitz blew mind, and Motian was really pushing. Swallow's on-stage persona is quite strange, but he always delivered when I saw him.

ubu

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest akanalog

i think country roads might be the highlight of swallow's career, IMO.

i am not a fan of his.

i think he does a crappy job of being a bassist.

he's a good musician but a bad bassist.

he's kind of like eberhard weber in that a band could have him plus another bassist actually laying it down and they probably wouldn't get in each others way...

i really enjoyed this one:

B000024R8G.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

one of the highlights for me was the play of ryan kisor on trumpet. why haven't we heard more about him here?

I touted this CD 2 1/2 years ago in this thread.

Someone finally agrees.

:P:excited::w

Edited by jlhoots

he's kind of like eberhard weber in that a band could have him plus another bassist actually laying it down and they probably wouldn't get in each others way...

Always kinda liked that about him but each to his own...

He adds something unique to every session he's on and his electric bass sound is instantly recognisable. Anyone know what he plays? Lovely sound too.

One of my faves is a Carla Bley/Steve Swallow Duets which has some sublime moments