SHM SACD reissues

EyeSpeech

In addition to the fine Analogue Production reissues of select BN and Impulse titles, SHM JSACD imports are now dribbling out. I haven't purchased any of the jazz ones yet. But based on the Steely Dan - Aja release with incredible sound quality, it may be worth splurging on one or two. The problem is they're ridiculously expensive at twice the cost of the AP stuff. The jazz titles of interest to some include (some of these are not yet released):

Wes Montgomery - Incredible Jazz Guitar

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things

John Coltrane - Ballads

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus

John Coltrane - and Johnny Hartman

Miles Davis - Cookin'

Ornette Coleman - Shape of Jazz to Come

Bill Evans Trio - Explorations

Jimmy Smith - The Cat

Bill Evans - Alone

Bill Evans - A Portrait in Jazz

Modern Jazz Quartet - Plays

Miles Davis - Relaxin'

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West

Art Pepper - Meets the Rhythm Section

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

Many of these titles were released on SACD domestically, so it's especially hard to justify. If anyone has heard these, though, I'd be interested in your impressions.

A few Diana Kralls as well that I didn't bother including on the list.

Yep, I also have two rock titles. They sound great and I don't regret the expense although it's just too pricey. It will be difficult to control myself with several upcoming titles that I want, especially Giant Steps and My Favorite Things. Those weren't the world's greatest recordings to begin with but important enough to make any incremental improvement worth the expense, potentially.

The SACD of My Favorite Things is reportedly the MONO mix -- a DSD transfer from the original US mono mixdown tape (not from a Japanese dub tape). The mono mix is not fold-down of the stereo, but instead reportedly a unique mix made from the 8 track multi-tracks back in the day. I've never heard the mono Lp mix so this one intrigues me. Anyone heard the mono album mix before? Comments? Good dynamic range or squashed and compressed? How does it compare to the stereo? I guess the original multitracks were burned in the 1970s fire so this may be the only opportunity to hear the album differently than the stereo mix, via this dedicated unique mono mix.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

• 2 weeks later...

Pithecanthropus Erectus on SHM-SACD is also a mono mix. Is it possible that mono sounds better for these two albums?

Never recorded in stereo AFAIK.

The SACD of My Favorite Things is reportedly the MONO mix -- a DSD transfer from the original US mono mixdown tape (not from a Japanese dub tape). The mono mix is not fold-down of the stereo, but instead reportedly a unique mix made from the 8 track multi-tracks back in the day. I've never heard the mono Lp mix so this one intrigues me. Anyone heard the mono album mix before? Comments? Good dynamic range or squashed and compressed? How does it compare to the stereo? I guess the original multitracks were burned in the 1970s fire so this may be the only opportunity to hear the album differently than the stereo mix, via this dedicated unique mono mix.

Did Atlantic have 8 track recorders back then?

Pithecanthropus Erectus on SHM-SACD is also a mono mix. Is it possible that mono sounds better for these two albums?

Never recorded in stereo AFAIK.

Did Atlantic have 8 track recorders back then?

http://www.nyrocker.com/blog/tag/tom-dowd/

"In an October 1999 interview for MIX magazine, Dowd noted that “in February of ‘58, the first [Atlantic] session on 8-track was Lavern Baker. Within the next 90 days, I went through Bobby Darin, the Coasters, Charlie Mingus, Ray Charles…I would be sitting in the studio doing the Coasters at 2 o’clock in the afternoon with Mike [stoller] and Jerry [Leiber]. Ahmet would call me up and say, ‘Ten o’clock tonight, we’re going to do Mingus.’ You want culture shock? Go from the Coasters to Charlie Mingus in ten hours!” Dowd designed Atlantic’s first 8-track studio on West 60th Street in 1959 and began recording there the following year."

To my surprise the JSACDs arrived today. I thought they would be lost or at least take much longer to arrive.

I'm pleased with the My Favorite Things. It could not be more different than the K2 20 bit version. The K2 has a very superficial, wide soundstage with the drums hard left and the sax hard right. The SHM-SACD is mono. The instruments are relaxed with a more realistic quality in terms of the attack/decay. The bass is poor in both versions; that's just the way it was recorded. It's bloated and lacks definition. Tthe more you move toward treble, the better the definition gets--the sax, drums and piano were mic'ed right. When Tyner hits some of those high notes about 3:20 into Everytime We Say Goodbye, it sounds very well recorded indeed. Aside from the bass, the presence on the SACD is impressive.

They did a good job on the K2, but this is better. Much of it depends on your preference for hard panning vs mono.