Steve Allen

Out2Lunch

I caught Larry King's program last night which was a tribute to the late Steve Allen.

I was amazed to see that Allen had written over 8500 songs throughout his life, many of which were jazz oriented. I wonder if anyone has any recommendations on what albums would be a good source to sample some of Allen's music.

I remember as a kid watching Allen's sunday night program but really only remember him for his skits, whacky characters and outrageous stunts.

I remember as a kid watching Allen's sunday night program but really only remember him for his skits, whacky characters and outrageous stunts.

A lot of what has been done on David Letterman's show originated with Steve Allen.

Some cable tv network would do well to rerun some of Steve Allen's old shows. They were great!

From a purely jazz standpoint, I'd recommend Plays Steve Allen by Terry Gibbs and Buddy DeFranco on the Fantasy label. Check out these sound clips: Plays Steve Allen. There's also a collection on the Varese Sarabande label called The Songs Of Steve Allen. Here's the track listing:

1. This Could Be The Start Of Something - Steve Lawrence/Eydie Gorme

2. Picnic - The McGuire Sisters

3. Tonight - Buddy Greco

4. Oh, What A Night For Love - Ella Fitzgerald

5. Gravy Waltz - Mel Torme

6. Spring In Maine - Margaret Whiting

7. Impossible - Nat King Cole

8. Banana Split - Jackie & Roy

9. South Rampart Street Parade - Bing Crosby/The Andrews Sisters

10. On The Beach - The Playmates

11. Junior Prom - Joni James

12. Pretend You Don't See Her - Jerry Vale

13. All At Once - Toni Arden

14. With You - Jennie Smith

15. Kiss Me First - Roy Hamilton

16. I Love You Says It Very Well - Ann Jillian

17. Cool Yule - Louis Armstrong & The Commanders

There are two copies of the latter cd for under $9 at: Half.com. Or you can check out this recording and others at: The Steve Allen Store

Edited by jazzshrink

Of course, the ultimate treatment of This Could Be the Start of Something can be found on Grant Green's I Want To Hold Your Hand.

That's an excellent one, but the previously unreleased version on Oscar Peterson's Night Trainis absolutely scorching. That arrangement is unbelievable.

There's also an interesting album 'Steve Allen and his All-Stars' that was recorded in 1957 for the Dot Label. Steve Allen plays piano with a group that includes Joe Wilder, Joe Nottingham on trumpet, Urbie Green, Bob Brookmeyer on trombone, Tony Scott and Al Cohn, reeds, Mundell Lowe and Barry Galbraith on guitar, Frank Carroll on bass, Osie Johnson on drums with arrangements by Manny Albam who is also listed as conductor. The only weak link is Steve Allen who plays - let's be nice to him - competent piano. They play themes from people like Gerry Mulligan, Horace Silver (Doodlin with a rather straight solo from Allen), Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, Neal Hefti and others.

Excellent solos by Wilder, Brookmeyer, Green, Cohn and Tony Scott.

If there is a renewed interest on Steve Allen, might be worth a reissue!

• 3 years later...

From a purely jazz standpoint, I'd recommend Plays Steve Allen by Terry Gibbs and Buddy DeFranco on the Fantasy label. Check out these sound clips: Plays Steve Allen. There's also a collection on the Varese Sarabande label called The Songs Of Steve Allen. Here's the track listing:

1. This Could Be The Start Of Something - Steve Lawrence/Eydie Gorme

2. Picnic - The McGuire Sisters

3. Tonight - Buddy Greco

4. Oh, What A Night For Love - Ella Fitzgerald

5. Gravy Waltz - Mel Torme

6. Spring In Maine - Margaret Whiting

7. Impossible - Nat King Cole

8. Banana Split - Jackie & Roy

9. South Rampart Street Parade - Bing Crosby/The Andrews Sisters

10. On The Beach - The Playmates

11. Junior Prom - Joni James

12. Pretend You Don't See Her - Jerry Vale

13. All At Once - Toni Arden

14. With You - Jennie Smith

15. Kiss Me First - Roy Hamilton

16. I Love You Says It Very Well - Ann Jillian

17. Cool Yule - Louis Armstrong & The Commanders

There are two copies of the latter cd for under $9 at: Half.com. Or you can check out this recording and others at: The Steve Allen Store

this is a terrific cd! i second the recommendation!

There are two cd's by the Tom Kubis Big Band entirely dedicated to Steve Allen compositions, Keep Swingin' and Fast Cars And Fascinating Women, both on Seabreeze. These are somewhat conventional big band recordings, but Tom Kubis' charts are uplifting and swinging, and benefit from the presence of top-notch soloists and section players (the usual "west coast studio suspects" like Wayne Bergeron, George Graham, Ron Stout, Andy Martin, Bill Liston, Rusty Higgins, Ray Brinker, and as a guest Jack Sheldon).

if i don't mix any names, i really like his piano playing behind Jack Kerouac reading

It's amazing that this was ever broadcast on network television, and interesting how Allen adopted a much more socially conservative stance on free speech and censorship in light of his disappointment with the way things turned out.