2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Beltre back in the lineup, the Inner Colby Lewis to not oversleep and send His Evil Twin as a sub ever again, and for C.J. Wilson to personally threaten the rest of the staff with violence if they even think about doing something this again.

Even then, it's a bit of a mismatch over the course of a season, the Rangers are not the only team the Red Sox have done this to, but for any given series, I can watch it with some hope if the lineup is full and the pitching up to potential.

Do we miss Cliff Lee? Over seven years, I don't think so. This year, yes. Harrison, Ogando, Holland have all flashed more than a few signs of Great Things To Come, but nowhere near consistently enough. C.J.'s a man after my own heart, but he's not Cliff Lee. And Colby? Schizo like a motherfucker this year. Big time.I was sitting Row 18, right behind the plate last night, and WHOA, that shit was weak. But you never know which Colby you get until he goes out there for the game...

Right now, just winning the division is a big if, and if that happens, given the expectations of the starters at the beginning of the season (and hte perfromance of the bullpen damn near almost all year) coupled with critical injuries early (and if Beltre doesn't get back soon, late), I'd be very happy with just doing that. It would be a bigger triumph than last year, imo. But that's just me.

Phil Hughes - the STOPPER!!! :winky::lol::tdown

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

22 runs and three grand slams cover a lot of lousy pitching!

Yeah, I wrote the above when the score was 7-1 in the 4th inning, never dreaming that the Yanks would come back so spectacularly. Let's face it however, if Hughes shows up in a playoff game like he did yesterday, that game would most certainly be a loss. Yanks most definitely have starting pitching concerns.

Even with the Red Sox due for a half-way decent game or two against the Rangers, color me shocked at winning the series. Andrew Miller beats OGANDO! only in reverse-lock land.

Will be interesting to see how Hurricane Irene effects the games this weekend. With the extra space between them, it seems like Boston has a good chance to get all three games with Oakland in the books, since they moved Sunday's game to a Saturday 5 PM start.

The Yanks, on the other hand, already have four games scheduled with Baltimore through Monday, and the weather will effect them sooner. Could leave them with one or two more make-up games and the time for those games is dwindling. Since the Yankees need to win the division outright and not force a tie, this may effect their chances of doing that.

Even with the Red Sox due for a half-way decent game or two against the Rangers, color me shocked at winning the series. Andrew Miller beats OGANDO! only in reverse-lock land.

Not when OGANDO! (and I'm keeping it like that just because the truly electrifying impact of his first half hasn't worn off yet) & the rest of the Rangers' starters (save for C.J. Wilson) look like they're lost their zip and/or location. If there's a second wind to be had (and there's no reason to believe that there shouldn't be), they need to get it ASAFP.

But yeah, you can't throw chum up to that lineup of sharks and not expect to get eaten alive. And eaten alive we got.

Not when OGANDO! (and I'm keeping it like that just because the truly electrifying impact of his first half hasn't worn off yet) & the rest of the Rangers' starters (save for C.J. Wilson) look like they're lost their zip and/or location. If there's a second wind to be had (and there's no reason to believe that there shouldn't be), they need to get it ASAFP.

But yeah, you can't throw chum up to that lineup of sharks and not expect to get eaten alive. And eaten alive we got.

Bullshit.

Your guys look plenty strong.

I pick the Rangers to repeat as AL Champs.

Ii watch every game and...I don't think so. Winning the division will be a triumph itself. The Angels are playing over thier heads and the Rangers under theirs. At some point that shit gets embedded and it's too late. The starters are not keying up, and the bullpen "fixes" have been erratic at best. Next year, maybe feeling the sting of the results of underachievement, maybe. This year...I'm not really optimistic about seeing October. For real.

On a brighter note, big congrats to Verlander on 20. Good to see some good news out of Detroit!

Ii watch every game and...I don't think so. Winning the division will be a triumph itself. The Angels are playing over thier heads and the Rangers under theirs. At some point that shit gets embedded and it's too late. The starters are not keying up, and the bullpen "fixes" have been erratic at best. Next year, maybe feeling the sting of the results of underachievement, maybe. This year...I'm not really optimistic about seeing October. For real.

You said the same thing last year, James. And guess what?

Texas Rangers win the AL Championship.

You ain't kiddin' nobody.

I said that about the World Series, and I was right. About the ALCS, I was very pleasantly surprised.

But that was last year.

This year...we need to take at least two against the Angels this weekend, preferably sweep. Derek Holland decides to be an adult last night, digs deep & deals, the offense comes up big, and BAM, we're good. So tonight it's CJ against Santana (on short rest), and CJ, so far the stopper/ace/whatever of this staff, does he step up and deliver? No, he gives up four home runs, something he's never done. Ever. Hell, I can't recall the last time he's given up two in a game. Way to set the pace there, dude...I know he's more pissed than any of the fans are, he's that type of player, but...you failed to answer the call, dude. Gotta answer the call. At least get it before the answering machine turns on.

So anyway it's 8-4 in the bottom of the 9th, we get the bases loaded with only one out, chase Walden, and David Murphy, who slammed last night and went yard again this evening, what does he do? Swings at low and away, hits into a dp, and BAM, game over. Couldn't even sustain a bases loaded, one-out rally. Once again, failure to answer the call. Hell, this one was being placed for you. No excuse for dropping the receiver when it's handed to you. At least say hello...

Tomorrow it's Colby Lewis against Weaver, who's also pitching on short rest, but so what, he's still Jered Weaver, and Colby Lewis is...either really good or really bad. But the offense is completely inconsistent (and pretty undisciplined right now...you get the opposition pitching in this heat, you need to work those motherfuckers, not do them favors by swinging at the first halfway decent pitch you see, dammit), and against Weaver, if they don't strike early and hard, hey... The odds of that actually happening are slim and none, and although Slim hasn't left town yet, the cab's just about three blocks away.

The two hopes I hold out are the return of Beltre, whose absence in the order has begin to be felt over the last week, as the rhythm of the order is starting to come up one man short more often than not, and that the Angels look down andrealize taht they've been playi9ngover thier heads for the last week. The former is pretty much guaranteed, Beltre, as I hear it, is going to a rehab assignment in Round Rock on Monday), but the latter is not really likely. The Angels are a good team, just not a great one right now, and they've got a mix of youth and veternas that could easily lead to them jsut keep on believeing, keep on playing, and keep on winning. Reality will strike them in the playoffs, but at leat they can make the playoffs.Plus, the Angels have a much more favorable schedule, and have had since last week. That's no excuse, definitely not, but if a team like the Angels starts to get hot, it's certainly not going to do anything to cool them off.

The Rangers can reignite, but not unless and until they get their mental act together - and keep it together. I've been waiting for that to happen all year long, and it's only happened in spurts. If there's going to be one more spurt, it needs to hurry up and get here. All the stat-heads love to look at numbers and say don't worry, the Rangers are the better team, but I'm old school, and I believe that the team that plays the better baseball during the course of a full game is the team that wins the most games, not the team with the better numbers. Those two only sometimes parallel each other, and in a dynamic where the gap between teams is lower single digits, all it takes is a little blip here and there for the "lesser" team to win the division. It's a mostly young team, though, in an organization with no real "culture of winning" built into it yet, so when I say that I will consider just winning the division this year at least as much a triumph as going to the Series was last year, I am totally serious. But I expect some serious, sustained focus - and results to match - next year. Right now, we just need to get the "consistency of effort, consistency of results" imprint in place more or less permanently. The talent is definitely there, and finally (FINALLY) there's an organization that seems to understand that that's what needs to be done. But will any of them actually do it?

Besides, the path to the WS this year leads through either Boston or New York. If we pick it up to the point to where we get there, I like our chances against New York better than I do against Boston, but not by all that much, which is to say that in either case, it will take a collective coalescing of the type that this team has yet to show itself to be predisposed for a Series return to occur. Right now, both are better, more disciplined teams who are delivering more better and more consistently to their potential than are the Rangers.

Talk to me in a month, we'll see where we are then. Right now, I'm standing in the middle of The Race For The Top Of The AL West, square at the corner of Maybe & Probably Not, and the lights going both ways are flashing red.

Right now, I'm standing in the middle of The Race For The Top Of The AL West, square at the corner of Maybe & Probably Not, and the lights going both ways are flashing red.

Man I hate when that happens. Nobody has a friggin' clue how to proceed, and that's in an area that's seen its share of non-functional intersections. Imagine what it will be like up north when they never see shit like that.

:g