Philip Cohran & Artistic Heritage Ensemble

romualdo

I have both the "Malcolm X Memorial" and "Spanish Suite", and they're both great! A little low-fi in the recording-quality department, but nothing that bothers me (think Sun Ra recording techniques). "Spanish Suite" is a little long in the tooth (about 45 minutes of material in one long suite, that could have easily been 25-30 minutes), but it's still a lot of fun.

I had a chance to get "Armageddon" but was able to sample it first at a listening station, and ended up not biting on that one. (Short disc, and half the tracks didn't do it for me.)

I've never heard "On The Beach" nor the more recent "African Skies" - but I am definitely curious about both.

If you're searching on Dusty (or elsewhere, I presume), be sure to search on both "Phil Cohran" and "Philip Cohran" -- there are titles listed each way (or just search on "Cohran" only).

I've never heard "On The Beach" nor the more recent "African Skies" - but I am definitely curious about both.

Just picked up "On the Beach" on vinyl the other day and am quite enjoying it. Definitely of its time, but enjoyable, like the missing link between Sun Ra and Earth, Wind and Fire.

Just picked up "On the Beach" on vinyl the other day and am quite enjoying it. Definitely of its time, but enjoyable, like the missing link between Sun Ra and Earth, Wind and Fire.

I think "On The Beach" is the same as the eponymous "Artistic Heritage Ensemble" (Zulu 004), but I may be wrong here? - On the Beach is one of the titles on this LP

BTW Thanks for all of the info

The best Phil Cohran recordings are the earliest, from the late 1960s with the Artistic Heritage Ensemble. Lots of 1-chord modal music. The brown-cover CD "Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble" (Aestuarium Records) has his frankiphone showpiece "The Minstrel" - the frankiphone must be heard. Those older CDs have really eager, hungry, knockout rhythm sections and good playing by Gene Easton (tenor sax), Don Myrick (baritone sax), etc. - there's a bit of wild early Pete Cosey, guitar, too.

Maybe I'm nostalgic, because these CDs really do bring back an era.

The best Phil Cohran recordings are the earliest, from the late 1960s with the Artistic Heritage Ensemble. Lots of 1-chord modal music. The brown-cover CD "Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble" (Aestuarium Records) has his frankiphone showpiece "The Minstrel" - the frankiphone must be heard. Those older CDs have really eager, hungry, knockout rhythm sections and good playing by Gene Easton (tenor sax), Don Myrick (baritone sax), etc. - there's a bit of wild early Pete Cosey, guitar, too.

Maybe I'm nostalgic, because these CDs really do bring back an era.

The Minstrel