Running Low/Last Chance

ubu-I won't recommend this, but I know I should have listened to discs 2-4 before disc 1 of that one...

Mark, I was thinking it over several times, too. But generally, I am slowly and unforcedly working my way back (first from modal/free to bop, and now to swing and earlier things), and I like almost anything I have yet encountered. And if I don't like it now, there might still come a time I will... ;)

Anyway, I think I do have some sort of idea of what I will going to hear.

ubu

Just to make sure I wasn't misunderstood, the recommendation I hesitate to make is to skip disc one. As for buying the set, I don't hesitate at all. It was a very delightful surprise for me! I'm working my way back as well, although as I started at hard bop, I find myself working forward at the same time.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered the Blue Mitchell set.

Is there any way of knowing when sets are going to time out? Shouldn't Mosaic make that clear on their website? I think I'll tell them that.

I'd think it would be pretty difficult for them to predict -- the website says "Last Chance reflects our best estimate that the set will be sold out soon which can range anywhere from tomorrow to two months".

Yes, but according to kulu se mama above, "mosaic leases most of the music that they reissue for a set time and/or number of sets." In other words, some sets may become unavailable on a given date, regardless of how many sets they've sold. They'd know that date even if they couldn't predict how fast the sets would sell.

This reminds me to send Mosaic an email about this!

ubu-I won't recommend this, but I know I should have listened to discs 2-4 before disc 1 of that one...

Mark, I was thinking it over several times, too. But generally, I am slowly and unforcedly working my way back (first from modal/free to bop, and now to swing and earlier things), and I like almost anything I have yet encountered. And if I don't like it now, there might still come a time I will... ;)

Anyway, I think I do have some sort of idea of what I will going to hear.

ubu

Just to make sure I wasn't misunderstood, the recommendation I hesitate to make is to skip disc one. As for buying the set, I don't hesitate at all. It was a very delightful surprise for me! I'm working my way back as well, although as I started at hard bop, I find myself working forward at the same time.

:tup

I really like what I've heard so far! The quartet George Lewis tracks are sublime! Great music, good liners, nice photos (that one of Paul Barbarin is beautiful, on top of page 5, I think - don't have it at hand right now).

ubu