What *else* are you passionate about??

SOURCE :ph34r:

Blue Note Bulletin Boards

--Miscellaneous

----What *else* are you passionate about??

Author  Topic:  What *else* are you passionate about? 

Gene Harris Fanatic

Member  posted May 31, 2001 04:49 AM             

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, we're all passionate about Jazz and Blue Note Records, but what else?

For me:

My soon-to-be-wife, Susan

The Boston Red Sox (With Pedro, Manny and No-Mah, watch out!)

Florida State Seminole football

You?

Dan

IP: Logged

Lon Armstrong

Member  posted May 31, 2001 05:21 AM             

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife Helen, and my cats Marge and Spot. My friends on and off the net.

Books: wide variety, but I am passionate about the work of authors such as Henry Miller, Philip K. Dick, Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, W. Sommersett Maugham and many more. Also books about Gnosticism, early Christianity, mystery religions.

Musical reproduction, especially via vacuum tubes.

Used to be passionate about making music, but that passion was either killed or died, depending on who is around when I tell the tale.

Used to be into motorcycling with a passion, for about one third of my life. Had two Hondas, then a Sportster then a 900 BMW then a 650 BMW. Then my wife entered my life and the motorcycles exited. PRETTY MUCH have them out of my system.

jmjk

Member  posted May 31, 2001 05:23 AM             

Guitars and more and more and more guitars.

Single-malt scotch

My wife: Laurabella de la Escalera

Anything associated with the 1950's

Martin Amis' writing

Men's clothing

Sandra Bullock and Angie Harmon (I can dream, cant I?)

1980's British post-punk

[This message has been edited by jmjk (edited May 31, 2001).]

lukrion

Member  posted May 31, 2001 06:32 AM             

Besides Jazz,:

My wife, Andrea

I love my dogs

Drums, Drums, Drums

Kung Fu & Tai Chi

Art: Van Gogh, Degas, Dali, Rembrant etc.

Star Wars movies & books( I'm still such a little kid!)

Brian Froud, Patrick Woodroffe and Roger Dean art

Drawing and Painting(Don't ever have much solid time to do much anymore, though)

Swords and weapons- mostly chinese varities(no guns collection)

Fine Food and I love cooking

Good Literature (British, American, World, Contemporary, Magical Realism etc.)

Coffees, Teas, Lattes, Cappachino

Imported beers and Stoudts(try to abstain as much as I can!)

Progressive Rock and good older rock, soul, and blues

And a host of other quirks to varied to list!

LIGHTMYFIRE

Member  posted May 31, 2001 07:16 AM           

Vintage Film Posters and the restoration of Poster Art and Photography

Vintage Hollywood Glamour Photography

Old Movies

Good Beer

Herb

My cat India Pashmina

Travel

My ever astoinishing, loving and supportive family especially my parents who to this day stil amaze me with there unwavering love and support for all of us kids.

The Beach and lazy days in the sun.

Did I say Old Movies and Vintage Film Posters...

yuri campbell

Member  posted May 31, 2001 07:33 AM             

Music in general, especially punk,post-punk,noise,dub,techno,post-rock.

Books. I have recently begun building a collection of monographs of various artists and photographers along with some collections of varied artists. I am especially passionate about dark art and morbid photography. I have stacks of novels,academic texts, comics, magazines. I LOVE TO READ.

I am very passionate about movies new and old. The advent of DVD has led me to indulge my collector's bent.

Sports. I am probably most passionate about Ohio State Football. I no longer watch or follow MLB because I still cannot fathom the '94 failure to play the World Series.

Politics, especially regional conflict and cultural conflict.

Catman

unregistered  posted May 31, 2001 07:38 AM           

Good friends, music-FOOD-art of India, music composition, hiking through parks and natural areas, family...are other things I enjoy very much!

TAikin

Member  posted May 31, 2001 08:34 AM             

Women

Wine (especially Shiraz)

Music - all... particularly jazz, classical, electronic, and folk, classic rock and hip-hop)

Film (Terrence Malick, Coen brothers, Godard, Kubrick, and Scorsese especially)

Kung fu

The Iowa Hawkeyes

Basketball (especially college and playing it myself)

Fanatsy sports leagues

Southern California in general

Robert J

Member  posted May 31, 2001 09:16 AM             

my wife and two kids

good friends

the piano

Canadian micro-brew and European beer

single malt scotch

reading literature and philosophy

writing

editing

catching public transit on time

Indian food

brunettes

more piano (trying to find a way to buy a new one)

barbequing (with a beer of course)

not watching television

internet radio

bike riding

soccer

practical jokes

the perfect shave

Jake333

when Toronto teams make the playoffs

very very strong coffee

late night bookstores

finding enough time in the day to do everything

Hepcat_Paul

Member  posted May 31, 2001 09:23 AM             

A vast variety of things, but a small run down:

American Art Pottery ... Rookwood and Roseville particularly

Art ... Dadaism, Max Ernst, John Held Jr, Picasso, early Dali, early Warhol,

Books... F. Scott Fitzgerald, James Joyce, Djuna Barnes, Evelyn Waugh, James Thurber, Wyndham Lewis, Ezra Pound, Henry Miller, Anais Nin, Dorothy Parker ...

Book Collecting... particularly Dell Mapback mysteries and mystery paperbacks from the late 40s thru mid 50s.

Ma Jong.

Sharksin suits and vintage suits from the 20s thru 40s

Popular culture and whatnot from 1919 thru mid 1950s.

... that's enough ... you get the idea!

jmjk

Member  posted May 31, 2001 10:00 AM             

quote:

Originally posted by Hepcat_Paul:

Sharksin suits and vintage suits from the 20s thru 40s

Paul-

I'm also into old-style fashion. Here's a question for you.

It's starting to get warm in Boston, and I'm thinking of breaking out my seersucker suit. Only problem is, I gotta find some new shoes for it. I was thinking white bucks with brick-colored soles. You have any suggestions?

Hepcat_Paul

Member  posted May 31, 2001 11:14 AM             

Jmjk,

After Memorial Day you can break out all the white/summer clothes. The white bucks sound great! You might also try finding a pair of saddle shoes or a pair of two-tone wingtips.

jmjk

Member  posted May 31, 2001 11:17 AM             

Thanks, man!

Two-tone wingtips sound real cool.

Rahsaan57

Member  posted May 31, 2001 01:21 PM             

my wife and daughter

good classical music, blues + classic rock

mostly non-fiction (history, popular culture) but also have an affinity for mark twain, walter mosely, james elroy

films of the 60s and 70s (my faves from formative years)

miller high life

WRVO-FM oswego ny - a great NPR station - especially love the 2000X series

good comedy

don't watch much TV but I like MST 3000 and Win Ben Stein's Money

Bev Stapleton

Member  posted May 31, 2001 02:04 PM             

* Friends and relations.

* Late Romantic/early modern classical music - Bruckner, Mahler, Strauss, Debussy, Stravinsky, Bartok, Shostakovitch etc.

* English cowpat music - Vaughan Williams, Moeran, Bridge, Britten, Holst and many others.

* Late 60s/early 70s rock.

* Unslushy folk music - especially the Fairport tree.

* The Irish folk revival of a decade or two back (Planxty, Bothy Band, Moving Hearts etc)

* Bluegrass and left-field country.

* The paintings of Caspar David Friedrich.

* History in general but specifically the 17thC and most specifically the English Revolutionary period (1640-60).

* All manner of books.

* The West Country of England (a.k.a. Eden) - Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset, Devon Cornwall.

* Ireland and things Irish.

* European travel especially Austria (pity about its politics!).

* European unity and the dissolving of national frontiers over here...with consequent redundancy notices issued to a superfluos royal family.

* The disestablishment of the Church of England and removal of its anachronistic influence on life in the 21st Century.

You can get me wound up on any of these!

[This message has been edited by Bev Stapleton (edited May 31, 2001).]

Joe Christmas

Member  posted May 31, 2001 02:24 PM             

my family

other forms of music

literature

all legs of history

Steve McQueen movies

Robert Mitchum movies

Kubrick movies

geology

beer

nookie

hockey

my guitars

Southern history, literature, and music

the ocean

LIGHTMYFIRE

Member  posted May 31, 2001 03:22 PM           

McQueen and Mitchum...two of my all time favorites DUDE!!! Yeah!

There is a great book out now on McQueen by William Claxton..they were close buds in the early days of Steve's career..it's a really cool and intimate look at Mcqueen through Claxtons lens..check it out.

[This message has been edited by LIGHTMYFIRE (edited May 31, 2001).]

smumac

Member  posted May 31, 2001 04:48 PM             

Stereo equipment (tubes,turntables,tweaking)

Classical music (Beethovon,Mahler,Copeland)

Loreena McKennitt

Alfred Hitchcock movies

Books (History, Philosophy, Art, Music)

NPR and Public Television

Golf (game, course architecture, literature, equipment)

Baseball (Go Mariners, Go Cardinals, Go Tides(AAA Norfolk))

Living in Europe

Mountains

Teaching

My wonderful, supportive family (wife, daughter, three sons, GRANDSON)

Scott Lasser

Member  posted May 31, 2001 05:02 PM             

- State of Michigan professional sports teams and the U. of Michigan

- Politics

- My dog and my ferret

- Vintage cars, motorcycles, and trains

- The Constitution

- Sara Michelle Geller

Scott

ralphie_boy

Member  posted May 31, 2001 06:49 PM           

- my wife and dog

- friends and other assorted family members

- art,particularly Pop and Abstract Expressionism. I also collect contemporary prints (a hobby almost as expensive as buying OOP jazz CDs).

- cooking and eating

- wine

- cigars

- 20th century modern furniture and design, particularly 1950s and '60s.

- Movies, particularly sci-fi from the 1950s and early 1960s.

- Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, Richard Neutra and other modernists.

- I used to be a big hockey fan but lately I've been loosing interest.

Joe Christmas

Member  posted May 31, 2001 07:03 PM             

LMF- thanks for the tip.. I'll keep my eye out. Have you ever seen him in The Reivers, based on the William Faulkner book? I have yet to see it and am wondering if it's any good.

sk@@ter

Member  posted June 01, 2001 12:07 AM             

Other than jazz?

Merle Haggard, Townes Van Zandt, Willie Nelson, Lou Reed

Film Noir - (faves include Laura, Maltese Falcon,Out of the Past etc etc.),directors like Michael Mann (The Insider especially, was very very under-rated IMHO),

books by George Pelecanos, Michael Connelly, Elmore, Woodrell, Eddie Bunker etc etc.

Audiophilia - ie. reading magazines fill of cool stuff which you can't afford.

As it is my stereo is worth way more than my car (actually my interconnects are...!)

Angelina Jolie - a fine actress (really!)

david

Member  posted June 01, 2001 12:14 AM             

The following cocktail...

1 part Cognac

3 parts Dessert Wine

3 or 4 parts Champagne (or, more usually, sparkling wine, unfortunately) to taste

Bev Stapleton

Member  posted June 01, 2001 01:31 AM             

How could I omit to omit my 25 year passion for Emmylou Harris. Tiffany Spears? Pah!

JSngry

Member  posted June 01, 2001 01:58 AM             

Figuring out what the hell it all REALLY means, and laughing every (mis)step of the way - the only way to keep going!

[This message has been edited by JSngry (edited June 01, 2001).]

weizen

Member  posted June 01, 2001 04:04 AM             

* Finding the next narrow, twisting, cobblestone lined alley/passageway hidden away in a European city/village.

* Weizenbier.

* Re-runs of "The Wild, Wild, West" TV show.

* Politics.

* WWII military history (emphasis on the Eastern Front).

* General european history from the Thirty Years War onward....

* H.L. Mencken.

* Old stained glass found in churches and castles.

* A good Mass. clam or lobster roll.

jmjk

Member  posted June 01, 2001 05:01 AM             

Some of you have mentioned Noir films as a passion...any of you ever see the film HE WALKED BY NIGHT?--about the electronics theif who eludes capture by running through the Los Angeles underground sewer system. Jack Webb plays a part (pre-Dragnet, if I'm not mistaken). Love that movie!!

BeBop

Member  posted June 01, 2001 05:40 AM             

Travel - Particularly in the "second-" and "third-worlds".

Reading - Classic Greek, Roman, Russian and French stuff, mainly.

Beer? - I've been brewing 24 years, but don't drink. Much.

My Health

Audio/Hi-Fi - Something I've historically cared about passionately, though the passion seems to be waning.

RedClay

Member  posted June 01, 2001 06:07 AM             

Old Pinball Machines...Up to a year ago I owned 4 very expensive machines but do to finances was forced to sell them to live off of. Still breaks my heart. I had 3 Gottliebs...1965 Bank-A-Ball, 1965 Kings and Queens, 1967 King of Diamonds...I also had a 1972 Bally Fireball...all in mint prestine condition. I felt like I was giving up children and one day I will get all 4 of them back.

Computers - I have been using them since 1984 at a young age of 11.

Movies - Mostly 70's stuff... My favorite 10 are

1. Papillon

2. Serpico

3. Dirty Harry

4. French Connection

5. Bullit

6. Clockwork Orange

7. Apocalypse Now

8. They Shoot Horses Don't They

9. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

10. Full Metal Jacket

I love Sushi!! I cannot get enough of it!

Classic Rock, Classic Rock and more Classic Rock...

Kareoke...I love to sing....

The Carribean...I have gone scuba diving twice and I am hooked. I only did the Hotel course and felt left out when I was not allowed to dive deeper than 50 ft or so while everyone else was allowed to go deeper.

marvin g

Member  posted June 01, 2001 07:02 AM           

Bike Riding

Photography

LIGHTMYFIRE

Member  posted June 01, 2001 07:08 AM           

Joe C,

I've never seen "The Reivers" so you'll have to check it out and let me know..I'm sure if it's McQueen it's got to be pretty decent. He's Aces in my book.

Max

Hepcat_Paul

Member  posted June 01, 2001 09:28 AM             

Jeff, HE WALKED BY NIGHT is an excellent film! Excellent photography.

I'll include silent films and film noir in my list, too.

Redclay, we have a pinball machine here at work. Its been here a week and I'm absolutely hooked. Pinball is vastly better than video games imho.

Bev Stapleton

Member  posted June 01, 2001 09:53 AM             

The rich aroma of fresh basil and fresh coriander.

bullmoose

Member  posted June 01, 2001 10:04 AM             

Like many others I'm think, I was introduced to 60s prime time television long before I saw movies like He Walked by Night (maybe 20 years later). So, I formed indelible impressions of actors such as Jack Webb, Richard Basehart, and Raymond Burr that would be permanently associated with the shows in which they played leading roles. I sometimes think those impressions may have influenced the way I later saw those actors and the very different types of characters they played in earlier movie roles. I know when I saw Basehart in He Walked, I kept trying to resolve the contradiction between the character of the electronics thief and the gentle, almost passive submarine captain in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. It didn't seem possible. Same with Raymond Burr as Perry Mason and as all those sadistic guys he played in the late 40s and early 50s.

Lon Armstrong

Member  posted June 01, 2001 10:12 AM             

How about Jack Webb as Pete Kelly, Kansas City trumpeter in "Pete Kelly's Blues"? Very strange casting that only makes sense when the film becomes a gangster-good guy shoot out near the end! Of course if your production company is making the film. . . .

jmjk

Member  posted June 01, 2001 10:35 AM             

quote:

Originally posted by Hepcat_Paul:

Jeff, HE WALKED BY NIGHT is an excellent film! Excellent photography.

Yeah, it's shot pretty well, especially that dark scene towards the end where the cops surround the guy's house!

Joe

Member  posted June 01, 2001 12:15 PM             

And PETE KELLY'S BLUES has a great soundtrack; the LP even has some wonderful, quintessential Jack Webb "announcements" between the performances by Dick Cathcart, Eddie Miller, Matty Matlock et. al.

TJJ

Member  posted June 01, 2001 05:05 PM             

My wife Marybeth and all our pets-2 dogs and 4 cats and counting...

Travel-Going to San Francisco in Sept. I am psyched!

Fitness-I get up at the ungodly hour of 5 a.m. 4 days a week to get ready to hit the gym and get a good workout in before I go to work. Something wrong with me.

Wine-Have become very interested in learning as much as I can on this subject. Merlot and shiraz are favorites.

Coffee-Kenyan beans are awesome.

Music-A definite addict. All kinds except modern country trash.

Movies-Not a movie buff per se but enjoy seeing classic movies on the big screen. It doen't get better than that. Also Alfred Hitchcock. He's the greatest.

Big Al

Member  posted June 01, 2001 05:08 PM             

quote:

Originally posted by Jim R:

Making people laugh, and having other people make ME laugh! I like all types of comedy, as long as it's funny- Woody Allen, Jim Carrey, The Marx Brothers, The Furniture Guys, Steve Martin, Ethel Merman slipping on a banana, Monty Python, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder, Bill Murray, ("Big") Al Rearick, Jack Benny, The 3 Stooges, John Candy, Joe Christmas, Don Rickles, Richard Cali (he sat behind me in Math in the 7th grade), actor/comedian Kevin Pollock (he was in one of my classes when I was in college... did an unbelievable impression of Peter Falk's "Colombo"), forgive me, but I'm going to go on and list EVERY person who has EVER made me laugh... (not).

Wow, to be listed in the same company of legends as the Marx Bros., Jack Benny, and Joe Christmas.....wow, all this because I sent him a copy of the Bu Blankey box?!?!?

Other passions:

Trying to out-pun Jim R (I'd have more success scaling Pike's Peak with a toothpick)

Church and leading the various youth groups

My family

Tenor sax

etc etc etc

Lon Armstrong

Member  posted June 01, 2001 05:59 PM             

And Dick Cathcart. . .what a player!

ralphie_boy

Member  posted June 01, 2001 10:06 PM           

quote:

Originally posted by jmjk:

Some of you have mentioned Noir films as a passion...any of you ever see the film HE WALKED BY NIGHT?--about the electronics theif who eludes capture by running through the Los Angeles underground sewer system. Jack Webb plays a part (pre-Dragnet, if I'm not mistaken). Love that movie!!

That's a great film (noir). Another beauty is KISS ME DEADLY - Ralph Meeker plays Mike Hammer and does a great job! It's very dark and atmospheric and quite different.

champ

Member  posted June 02, 2001 06:13 AM             

Inspector Morse and Sgt. Lewis.

weizen

Member  posted June 02, 2001 06:39 AM             

Yeah, Morse really is a great show...one of the few I watch, although that "Dalziel & Pascoe" and "Frost" and even "Second Sight" are pretty good too. Come to think of it, most all of those Brit cop/mystery/murder programs are pretty decent and I don't believe that many of ours measure up to that standard.

[This message has been edited by weizen (edited June 02, 2001).]

a.j. zeitlin

Member  posted June 02, 2001 10:11 AM             

-New York bagels

-a barber shop shave

-fresh salmon w/ spinach salad

-gin

-Cape Cod

-the fiction of Nabokov, Faulkner, early Hemingway, Saul Bellow, Philip Roth

-poetry of William Carlos Williams, Robert Lowell, Frank O'Hara, Kenneth Koch, Allen Ginsberg, Whitman

-matinees

-going from London to Cardiff by train

-going from Boston to New York by car

-old Hollywood films

-American history

-late 40s and 50s abstract art

-driving in the rain

-Mafia miscellania

-first snow

champ

Member  posted June 02, 2001 04:22 PM             

Weizen Please read the books by Colin Dexter.

lars1026

Member  posted June 05, 2001 10:20 AM             

THE NBA FINALS!!!!!!

For anyone who took a few years off of basketball after Michael Jordan left, you must know that it is BACK STRONGER THAN EVER!

KOBE VS IVERSON WILL BE WORTH WATCHING!

greg

Member  posted June 05, 2001 11:34 AM             

Lars, I hope you're right but I wouldn't bet on it. I won't be surprised to see Lakers go undefeated.

trane31

Member  posted June 05, 2001 04:22 PM             

My shiny new Yamaha trumpet

Simpson's re-runs

Dali, Van Gough, Warhol

Movies. Here are my current favorites

1. Apocalypse Now

2. The Godfather

3. Boogie Nights

4. Vertigo

5. Star Wars/Empire

7. The Big Lebowski

8. Dazed and Confused

9. Repo Man

10. Fight Club

Screenwriting

COFFEE(and lots of it)!!!

The Red Sox (PEDRO!)

20th Century History

The Sopranos

Watership Down by Richard Adams (great book)

The Clash

The Velvet Underground, The Stooges

Oasis/Blur

My Bloody Valentine

you get the idea...

[This message has been edited by trane31 (edited June 05, 2001).]

JCGREG

Member  posted June 05, 2001 05:05 PM             

My first love will always be the New York Yankees. When I was a kid Miles davis and Mickey Mantle were my heroes. Strang e combo!

* Kansas City Royals

* KU basketball

* metafiction

* cinematography

* documentaries

* plants

* my mashed potatos

* my chili

* found photographs

* my folks

* my brother

* my buddies

* finishing school ASAP

* hot sauce

* nice bourbons

* hoppy beers

* warmth

* cold weather (ironically)

Edited by Brandon Burke

My wife and son, their well-being and happiness. Right enough of the slush....

60's / 70's cop/crime movies.

Beer: Real ale from England and Europe

Espresso

Cycling: especially when I don't have to rush home. The Classics in April --- Paris - Roubaix, Tour of Flanders and the World Road Champs. The month of March when I get out my good bike, good shoes and it takes slightly less time to get dressed for a ride.

Where I live

Books when I get chance: Kafka, Thom Jones, McEwan, Sarte and Camus.

Cars --- especially when I get chance to buy something with a nice V8 in it.

European cities --- not to take anything away from you Stateside guys, but they are on our doorstep.

Nice shoes, shirts and trousers.

Movies (mostly what you would call "art cinema", I guess - italian, french fifties and sixties stuff; film noir; to drop some favorite names: Godard, Antonioni, Fellini, de Sica, Visconti, Resnais, Renoir, Vigo, Hawks, Huston, Walsh, Scorsese, early Polanski, Chabrol, Raul Ruiz, Haneke, Losey, Rossellini, ...)

Books (being a student I gotta read too much stuff I would rather not, but... some favorites: anything from the Dada movement, Bachmann, Trakl, Benn, Stasiuk, Mann, Bernhard, Broch, Schnitzler, Hofmannsthal, K.Ph. Moritz, Rousseau, lots of poetry, too)

Whisky - single malts (Oban, Talisker being two favorites, Macallan, Lagavulin... uh, I think I need a drink ;) ), irish whiskey, too. Sometimes a bourbon, but it does not compare...

my lady, my tenor sax (my alto too, but I LOVE the tenor :wub: )

some pets around, too.

Italian food, spanish wine, french wine

Leffe, Jever, and some other beer, some good swiss beer, too (pity everybody want that s**tty Heinecken instead! That ain't no beer, man! That's pee pee, as another bored member would say...)

Reading newspapers (Neue Zürcher Zeitung, Frankfurter Allgemeine, Die Zeit, sometimes Süddeutsche Zeitung, Le Monde, when I'm in the mood for some spanish I grab El País... much too time consuming, I fear, but I can't be without a good newspaper)

Coffee

ubu

Are we possibly expanding the circle of what we are "passionate" about here? I mean, "cold weather"? "nice clothes"?

I guess to each their own "passions."

To update my list, still passionate about my wife, almost two and a half years after the wedding, still waiting for the Sox and Seminoles to reach the promised land; and while I didn't mention them, I should have: Beagle Bailey left us just barely shy of a year ago and I still miss her. Even as we get more passionate about Coltrane (the dog):

weizen

Member  posted June 01, 2001 04:04 AM             

* Finding the next narrow, twisting, cobblestone lined alley/passageway hidden away in a European city/village.

here's one for you.