John Guerin RIP?

SGUD missile

Bad news ..

I've recieved several e-amils ( as has had DEEP , I guess ) that the veteran

LA studio /jazz drummer died this weekend from complications from

pneumonia ..

I'll add more details if I fnad more out.

John was a great drummer and a friend as well ..

way too young to be gone ..

RIP John ..

Phil Kelly

Bad news ..

I've recieved several e-amils ( as has had DEEP , I guess ) that the veteran

LA studio /jazz drummer died this weekend from complications from

pneumonia ..

I'll add more details if I fnad more out.

John was a great drummer and a friend as well ..

way too young to be gone ..

RIP John ..

Phil Kelly

Yes, way too young.

When people who are around our age die, no matter what that age is, it reminds us of our own mortality.

RIP John, too soon gone.

Harold, I thought the same thing. These days, pneumonia only seems to be the complication that is the final blow that kills someone already weakened by a more serious, terminal disease. By itself, it's curable. Makes me wonder if John was already sick.

I just recieved a conformation of this from LA ..apparently he'd been in ill healthfor some time , and kidney failure was involved as well ..

really really sad ..he was 2 years younger than I am

BTW: my tagline below is really inappropriate in this situation ..John

was the antethesis of a wimpy drummer throughout his career.

Edited by SGUD missile

I just recieved a conformation of this from LA ..apparently he'd been in ill healthfor some time , and kidney failure was involved as well ..

really really sad ..he was 2 years younger than I am

BTW: my tagline below is really inappropriate in this situation ..John

was the antethesis of a wimpy drummer throughout his career.

We all put off things that we should do, assuming that we will have time. When something like this happens, we are reminded that we are not even guaranteed tomorrow.

So sad. And no, John was certainly not a wimpy drummer. He also was talented, beyond "just" being a drummer. He was also a composer and totally devoted to bringing joy and passion to those who heard him.

I first heard his work in the late sixties, early seventies, when he was associated with The Guess Who?, a phenominally successful Canadian Band and of course, Joni Mitchell. I was facinated by the fact that he never allowed himself to be pidgeonholed in one genre and so was well known by anyone who listens to good music. He will be missed.

Edited by patricia

R.I.P.

I always liked his playing very very much - first heard him on some Tom Scott Quartet albums. The 2nd, "Rural Still Life" on Impulse! deserves a reissue in the Universal mini LP series. He had it all down, and a very nice sound for rock-type things. Very sorry to hear this.

He appeared on several of Blue Mitchell's mainstream dates. A great drummer.

I first became aware of his creative approach to drums upon purchasing and listening to the Frank Zappa/ Jon Luc Ponty album "Music For Electric Violin & Low Budget Orchestra". Then I heard him on a couple of Joni Mitchell albums. In the late 70's I saw him at Fountain Street Church, Grand Rapids, Mi with Stan Getz.

Great drummer!

How old was he when he passed away? :w

R.I.P.

I always liked his playing very very much - first heard him on some Tom Scott Quartet albums. The 2nd, "Rural Still Life" on Impulse! deserves a reissue in the Universal mini LP series. He had it all down, and a very nice sound for rock-type things. Very sorry to hear this.

Me too, Mike. My first exposure to John was on Rural Still Life #26 with Tom Scott, many years ago, and he was superb.

RIP, John Guerin~

R.I.P.

Me too, Mike. My first exposure to John was on Rural Still Life #26 with Tom Scott, many years ago, and he was superb.

RIP, John Guerin~

...that was a great album! :tup