Unnecessary Capitalization In E-Mail Addresses

Overtaking the over-sized jumbo return address label (sic - first there was oversized, now there's jumbo oversized) as the current object of a befuddled/bemused WTF-ness whenever witnessed...

I mean, jimsangrey@spliffco.com gets the same result as JimSangrey@spliffco.com so...why bother. Are you supposed to feel warmer & fuzzier from communicating with JimSangrey than you are jimsangrey? Or if I show you that I'm JimSangrey and not jimsangrey, does that signify that I'm somehow more "personal" or something? Or am I valiantly resisting the cold impersonal digital world by representing as JimSangrey instead of jimsangrey. Good luck on any of that...

No matter how I look at it, it still comes down to this - it's a hyperlink (or will be) to click on, and if I don't know who or what I'm sending it to, I shouldn't, and if I do, then...why?

People going nuts with the foo-foo these days and trying to take me with 'em. I'll go, but only up to a point!

Perhaps capitalization makes it easier to parse some people's names?

Details, please!

Where I've seen it has been in a self-contained corporate environment, and it looks just like another attempt to project (self)importance.

But you're saying that if people do it in real life, there might be a practical reason?

Yeah, in some cases it can make the name easier to read, things like FredDietz@blah.com rather than freddietz@blah.com.

That said, there are lots of people who don't understand that email addresses are not case-sensitive.

My secretary at work, who is over age 65, refuses to believe that email addresses are not case-sensitive, even though several people have told her that. I can hear her from my desk laboriously spelling out email addresses to people on the telephone, making a huge point of which letters are capital and which are small. There is no way to stop her believing this.

Yeah, in some cases it can make the name easier to read, things like FredDietz@blah.com rather than freddietz@blah.com.

That said, there are lots of people who don't understand that email addresses are not case-sensitive.

Wouldn't you know it was Fred Dietz from somewhere in the email itself, either the display name, or the signature?

If you're talking about in a personal drirectory, won't there always be a display name to look in?

Also easier to write. I write my name beginning with capitals practically as a reflex, but have to think about it to leave it all lower case.

Why is your member name "JSngry" and not "jsngry"?

It was a "style point" decision made long ago & far away.

Maybe you wanted us to feel warmer & fuzzier by replying to JSngry rather than jsngry, or you were signifying that you're somehow more "personal" or something... maybe you were valiantly resisting the cold impersonal digital world. ;)

Why is your member name "JSngry" and not "jsngry"?

It was a "style point" decision made long ago & far away.

Maybe you wanted us to feel warmer & fuzzier by replying to JSngry rather than jsngry, or you were signifying that you're somehow more "personal" or something... maybe you were valiantly resisting the cold impersonal digital world. ;)

Truthfully, I had just been "online" for a year or two & didn't think about it one way or the other.

But a screen name on a bulletin board is a whole 'nother thing than an email address.

I never was able to convince the ex that the capitalization didn't matter...

This, Dear Friends, is the crux of the matter right here.

When I receive an email from somebody, I am just as taken aback and put off when I see that the sender has capitalized this first and last name within the email address in their signature as I would be if they had used all lower case when "signing" their full name.

When I receive an email from somebody, I am just as taken aback and put off when I see that the sender has capitalized this first and last name within the email address in their signature as I would be if they had used all lower case when "signing" their full name.

I guess we all have our quirks. ;)