Mystery LP on Cadet

Teasing the Korean

I thought I was buying a Yusef Lateef LP on Cadet.

Turns out that Yusef Lateef labels, corresponding to the album cover, were attached to the LP, but the music is not Yusef Lateef.

To confuse things even more, the two sides of the record are not even the same album or band!

I believe that one side of the album, from my research and also from what my ears tell me, is a Harold Land/Bobby Hutcherson Cadet album called "The Peace-Maker," Cadet LPS 813. It has 4 tunes, and judging from the letter "B" in the dead wax, is probably side 2 of the album.

I'm having trouble pinpointing the other side, though. It is an organ groove album, 4 tunes, with organ, tenor, trumpet, guitar and drums. There are 4 tunes, and the second tune is "Tangerine." The other tunes are generally bluesy organ groove stuff.

It looks like the number scratched into the dead wax is either 1336 A or 1356 A, but then there is also the number CA 813? A, the question mark being a scratched out number.

I paid $3.99 for this, and am not taking it back. But I really want to know what the other side of the album is!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

OK, I just checked Amazon for Lou Donaldson "Tangerine" and I heard the same version, with the organ, that is on this LP.

I guess the online discography is wrong, and I must have one side of Lou Donaldson "At His Best" with one side of Harold Land "The Peace-Maker" with Yusef Lateef labels in a Yusef Lateef cover.

What a fortuitous purchase!!!!

Thanks all!

I believe that one side of the album, from my research and also from what my ears tell me, is a Harold Land/Bobby Hutcherson Cadet album called "The Peace-Maker," Cadet LPS 813. It has 4 tunes, and judging from the letter "B" in the dead wax, is probably side 2 of the album.

My copy of Cadet's 'The Peace-Maker' (side 2) has 'WARS-5127, also #17115, also LPS-813, also S-2 in the deadwax, all handwritten.

My copy of Cadet's 'The Peace-Maker' (side 2) has 'WARS-5127, also #17115, also LPS-813, also S-2 in the deadwax, all handwritten.

Interesting. Was there more than one issue of this album on Cadet? It certainly sounds like Land/Hutcherson, at least from the needledrops I did. Are there audio samples of the album anywhere? Could this be a screwed up test pressing or something?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Interesting. Was there more than one issue of this album on Cadet? It certainly sounds like Land/Hutcherson, at least from the needledrops I did. Are there audio samples of the album anywhere? Could this be a screwed up test pressing or something?

There seems to have been only one release from the Cadel LP. The album was reissued on LP and CD in Japan but no audio samples seem to be available on the regular download market!

It was suggested that this is Lou Donaldgson "At His Best," but from what I see, this album has piano and conga. The album side I have has tenor, trumpet, organ, guitar, and drums.

Tenor? :unsure:

Cut me some slack. I just dragged the album home and did a few needle drops before posting. I was expecting to hear flute, oboe and gongs.