Liberty Lighthouse Series

romualdo

In the late 50's (and beyond?) Howard Rumsey & Liberty were involved in releasing a series of LP's

I know of 2

Vol. 1 - Lighthouse All Stars - Double Or Nothin' (recently released as Japanese TOCJ CD)

Vol. 3 - Lighthouse All Stars - Drummin' The Blues (On Lonehill Jazz CD Jazz Structures)

Anyone know how many were released in this series

according to Wikipedia his discography is:

10 Inch Records

Volume 2 - Sunday Jazz A La Lighthouse (Contemporary 2501)

Volume 3 (Contemporary 2506)

Volume 4 - Oboe/Flute (Contemporary 2510)

Volume 5 - In The Solo Spotlight (Contemporary 2515)

12 Inch Records

Volume 1 - Sunday Jazz A La Lighthouse (Contemporary 3501)

Volume 6 (Contemporary 3504)

Volume 3 (Contemporary 3508)

Lighthouse At Laguna (Contemporary 3509)

In The Solo Spotlight (Contemporary 3517)

Volume 4 - Oboe/Flute (Contemporary 3520)

Music For Lighthousekeeping (Contemporary 3528)

I suspect there will be some overlap between the 10" & 12" releases.

Headman, I think Romualdo was referring specifically to the LIBERTY releases.

The Contemporary items are rather well-known fare, not to say common knowledge.

@Romualdo:

Could it be that what you describe as Vol. 3 is the Stan Levey-Max Roach shared date released on Liberty LRP 3064?

Check the listing on this site:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/liberty/libertya.html

I really cannot find anything listed between LRP 3045 (vol. 1 as per the original record sleeve) and LRP 3064 (Vol.3 as per your statement) that would fit a description of a Lighthouse/Rumsey-led or backed date.

LRP 3051 (Kamuca-Perkins' Tenors Head-On) would not fit the bill either.

For more Liberty discographies, see here:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/liberty/libertyb.html

http://www.bsnpubs.com/liberty/libertyc.html

Edited by Big Beat Steve

O.K., I see - so it seems like this was more of a marketing gimmick than an actual recording involving the Lighthouse ALL STARS. But after all two thirds from the rhythm section (Red Mitchell and Stan Levey) had indeed been held over from Vol. 1 of that series.

And Howard Rumsey seems to have provided the name only.

Which OTOH would explain why Jepsen (inexplicably at first sight, if you did not pull out the ORIGINAL album cover) listed the Tenors Head-On LP in his discography under "Rumsey, Howard".

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I checked Part 1 of the Liberty discpography linked above qhen i posted my< message yesterday but did not see any other mention of either the LIGHTHOUSE band name nor of Howard RUMSEY except for a 1963 sampler that included tracks from previous releases.

So ....?

And the Goldmine 1949-1969 album guide does not list any Liberty LP except Howard Rumsey's Vol. 1 (LRP 3045) under his name either, so if there ever was a Vol. 4 (or more) the Lighthouse connection must have been even farther fetched than No. 2 and 3.

But who knows ...?

Maybe Calvin Jackson's Jazz Variations (LRP 3071)?

But NOT the Hollywood Saxophone Quartet's Sax Appeal (LRP 3080). I haven't got the record on hand right now but cannot recall any "Lighthouse Series" mention.

Maybe Teasing The Korean would know about any others that may not immediately come to mind to fans of jazz in the stricter sense? A lot of the Liberty catalog from those years seems to fall straight into his areas of preference. ;)

Now that we have vol. 1, 2 and 3, the question is now...

was there a vol. 4 (and 5 and so forth...)?

What prompted my initial interest was the cover to Double or Nothin' - In small print was Liberty Lighthouse Series, Vol. 1 then recently I found an image of the cover to Drummin' the Blues & again in smaller print, Vol. 3......

Check this site - page from Billboard discussing the new deal between Rumsey & Liberty

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=KiAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=liberty+lighthouse+series+jazz+records&source=bl&ots=OsPsD8a6yO&sig=8VKY81fbuyRJBupuOGKizldyo48&hl=en&ei=rwZNTvjcDOjhiAKH28l3&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=liberty%20lighthouse%20series%20jazz%20records&f=false

Maybe the only to find out is to search relevant Liberty covers

Since these are/were all recordings on the Liberty label I wonder whether they were ever re-issued by EMI when they bought Liberty in the 1980s? I can't recall ever seeing a Howard Rumsey recording on EMI.

The "Tenors Head-On" LP was reissued on (Liberty-owned) Blue Note in 1978 (in the "The Blue Note Re-Issue Series" program that also had those famous twofers). But certainly not because of the "Lighthouse series" tag. ;)

The first vinyl reissue of "Double or Nothing" that I am aware of is the Fresh Sound facsimile LP of the 80s.