Beautiful playing by Art Farmer

fasstrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshwQGnDQ4U

The first solo is a gem, as is his contribution throughout. Priceless. Good European players. Lee has had better days, I guess, and I know how that goes...Not sure why Oliver Nelson's name is on this. Maybe it is his band and he laid out on Just Friends.

If I can be be allowed an editorial comment I for would like to just get back to music and beauty and leave alone non-issues like who is or isn't gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgXhd3LcuOM&feature=related

Here's another beauty. This one shows the more firey side. W/Jim Hall, Steve Swallow, Pete LaRoca (?). BBC, 1964. I think the title is the Berimbao song by Kurt Weill. Maybe I'm wrong. Whatever it is it was recorded by the Gil Evans Orchestra on the same recording as La Nevada and Sunken Treasure. Maybe someone will remenber the reording's title.

Bilbao, it is.

Thanks. What record is it on? Not Svengali. It's the one with Ray Crawford, Johnny Coles, Budd Johnson, and Elvin. On Impulse!? It may just be called the Gil Evans Orchestra.

I like Lee's solo though it seems like he never ties it all together - as though he lost his balance and couldn't quite get it back,

Lee always had confidence problems playing. I can relate....

The first solo is a gem, as is his contribution throughout. Priceless. Good European players. Lee has had better days, I guess, and I know how that goes...Not sure why Oliver Nelson's name is on this. Maybe it is his band and he laid out on Just Friends.

If I can be be allowed an editorial comment I for would like to just get back to music and beauty and leave alone non-issues like who is or isn't gay.

This was recorded in The Netherlands. The piano player seen at the beginning is Pim Jacobs and the tenor man seen at the end is Oliver Nelson.

This was recorded in The Netherlands. The piano player seen at the beginning is Pim Jacobs and the tenor man seen at the end is Oliver Nelson.

Thanks.

I like Lee's solo though it seems like he never ties it all together - as though he lost his balance and couldn't quite get it back,

On second thought Lee had some great ideas in there, especially at the beginning and end. A graceful beginning and end is half the battle. That ending is a MF.

Lee thinks out loud and it's intriguing and controversial. I'm usually slow to warm up to him b/c he thinks so much you can hear him judging himself and not committing. He gets so behind the beat thinking so much it's sort of killjoyish to the spirit (of the rhythm, which in this case Art brought to a certain joyful bounce). Maybe he felt intimidated b/c Art sounded particularly good and he had to follow him.Happens all the time and it's easy for an artist to lock himself and lose confidence. I feel bad for him b/c he's a great and original player and I don't want to see him in pain!

And I hope he gets well soon.