When truth gets in the way...

Christiern

This afternoon, I found myself in a small cubicle on West 26th Street. I was there to give an interview to the NPR station in Interlochen, Michigan—the subject was John Hammond and I was contacted at the recommendation of Lewis Porter.

The host (and co-producer) began by asking me about John's family background. I told him what little I knew about that and explained that I could best talk about the John Hammond I knew, i.e. from 1959 on. He seemed somewhat disappointed, but told me to go on. There were no questions, so I explained how we had met (this jazz host/producer of a show called "New Jazz Archives" seemed unfamiliar with Lonnie Johnson and Elmer Snowden). He let me go on for a good half hour, so I did, telling him about John's real as well as alleged achievements, and giving what I thought would be an interesting (if unconventional) portrait of the Great White Father.

My "interviewer" finally broke in and complained that I had not been sufficiently "positive". I pointed out that I had made many references to John's actual achievements and how I considered them to be important enough to warrant his stature in jazz history. That, apparently was not the right angle for Mr. host/producer, who told me that he probably would not use anything that I said! I told

him that this was okay with me, but that I found it odd that he wanted to put a positive twist on it, and do so at the expense of the truth.

This happened once before, many years ago, when I was interviewed by CBC (Canada) for a very lengthy series on John's life. The interviewer was only interested in having me perpetuate the many myths. That interview never made the air.

What do my fellow Organissimoans think of such an approach? I think it is very wrong and, certainly, dishonest.

Wrong and dishonest, yes, but it seems like an additional (and perhaps fundamental) problem here might be that the host/co-producer was simply lazy to the point of stupidity. I would guess that he didn't even know that Hammond is not a universally revered figure but an equivocal one. In particular, he could hardly have read Otis Ferguson's famous portrait of Hammond, which was written more than 70 years ago!

This possibly seems to be part of our soundbite culture, in which everything has to be reduced to a short slogan. Nuance and shades of gray take too long. So he may have wanted to be able to present a series of short soundbites about Hammond, strung together, instead of actual writing about him. Your accurate, complex portrayal of the man could not be reduced to the space of a bumper sticker, so it's too long and "weird" (by this standard) to use. To me this represents a significant decline in our culture.

Edited by Hot Ptah

If this guy plays ball with the myth-makers, he helps them sell their myths under the guise of "heritage". What runs counter to the myth can't be sold (not now, anyway) so is of no use.

They be everywhere, they do, these...people looking to get a leg up into the "heritage" business. Many of them probably even mean well. But it is the devil's work they are doing, constructing an endless circular hallway made of masks instead of windows.

I'm surprised by this. Yes, Jeff Haas is a pianist and composer from the Traverse City area who's father, Karl Haas, was a renowned classical music producer. Jeff's program, which I've only caught parts of, is aired locally on WGVU. He's been a conscientious historian in the music, a big fan of Jazz From Blue Lake. So it surprises me that he wouldn't open up his planned narrative to invite in direct source opinions that varied from his own. Journalism is not an easy climb for some -- the work at rethinking and retelling and rewriting, changing the emotional emphasis of a story line, can be tough for someone who's made up their mind they want to take it one way, a celebration of John Hammond, and don't have the ability to deal with the nuances of reality. All it would take, though, is a simple intro and let Chris speak. Allowing that in would give the program another layer.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=734576408&ref=ts

I'm surprised by this. Yes, Jeff Haas is a pianist and composer from the Traverse City area who's father, Karl Haas, was a renowned classical music producer. Jeff's program, which I've only caught parts of, is aired locally on WGVU. He's been a conscientious historian in the music, a big fan of Jazz From Blue Lake. So it surprises me that he wouldn't open up his planned narrative to invite in direct source opinions that varied from his own. Journalism is not an easy climb for some -- the work at rethinking and retelling and rewriting, changing the emotional emphasis of a story line, can be tough for someone who's made up their mind they want to take it one way, a celebration of John Hammond, and don't have the ability to deal with the nuances of reality. All it would take, though, is a simple intro and let Chris speak. Allowing that in would give the program another layer.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=734576408&ref=ts

His father (Karl) also had a long running classical radio program. It evidently was syndicated, since I remember hearing it in New York. He started each show with the phrase "Hello Everyone."

That's a shame that nothing from the interview was "usable." He clearly was after some sort of puff piece and wasn't interested in a more balanced view of Hammond. The Otis Ferguson piece that Larry mentions is devastating.

I think it's a sign of the times. It seems that in today's world, it's considered bad form to speak negatively of the dead. I can see a world where someday Adolph Hitler will be compared to the president of the United States... oh wait. :)

I think back to the Stan Getz thread(s?) we had here (since deleted) that had some not-so-nice things to say about Stan. That thread is gone mainly because Stan is dead so negative commentary is considered a no-no. It's almost like everyone is thinking, "He isn't around to defend himself so it's all hearsay".

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

It sounds like ersatz Ken Burns (is that even possible?) You know, a group of talking heads, the producer moving from one to the other, each chipping in a nice, easy bit of praise or personal tidbit. Take it as a compliment that they did not use your contribution.