Some upcoming gigs (UK and Italy)

Have a few nice gigs coming up, so thought I would indulge in one of my periodic plugs...as ever, would be great to see anyone at a show...

So this Friday, October 28th, in Novara, Italy - a duo with one of my heroes - the great Louis Moholo-Moholo. Very excited about this, and hopefully more news soon - we're in the studio tomorrow...

On Saturday and Sunday (29th and 30th October), it's back to London, for a two-night residency at Cafe Oto: Decoy (Steve Noble, drums, percussion; John Edwards, and yours truly on Hammond B3) with maestro Joe McPhee. Here's some of what we got up to last time we played; the concert was released as this album. Here's a sound sample.

The next week, the Convergence Quartet hits the road. This is a collective quartet comprising Harris Eisenstadt on the drums; Taylor Ho Bynum on the cornet; Dominic Lash on bass; and myself on piano - we all contribute compositions. Our last album was on Clean Feed, and we'll have copies in tow, although for anyone who caught the last tour, it'll be all new material this time around. The dates:

7/11: Dartington Hall

9/11: Churchill College, Cambridge

10/11: The Literary and Philosophical Society, Newcastle

11/11: Clothworkers' Centenary Hall, Leeds University

12/11: The Rising Sun Arts Centre, Reading

13/11: London Jazz Festival: Vortex Jazz Club

In addition, at lunchtime on 10th November, Harris and I will be performing a duo concert at Newcastle University.

On November 14th, I'm debuting a new group of mine: a quintet featuring Neil Charles, b; Otto Fischer, g; Shabaka Hutchings, tenor and bass clarinet; and Tom Skinner, d. This one is back at Cafe Oto.

And on November 18th - do come down to the Southbank Centre, where I'll be guesting with Turkish firebrand Ilhan Ersahin at the London Jazz Festival's 'Nublu' show...

Then at the end of the month, I'm taking part in a special event for the Oxford Improvisers Collective: on the 24th and 26th of November, we are welcoming Wadada Leo Smith to town...lineups tbc, but watch this space...

would almost DIE to see the trio with Joe McPhee this Friday but I am, alas, in New Jersey.

For those who don't know, the recordign is good to great and ay times even spectacular.

I never get to see you London guys - then again, you don't get to see Mat Maneri or Craif Taborn or some of the NYC guys too often if ever, either....

however - we NEVER get to see any of you guys - I mean Barry Guy was in the States I think in 2001 the last time....John Edwards and Steve Noble - never, correct?

enjoy the shows - sounds like a great quartet with Bynum, etc.

Decoy are storming. Decoy + McPhee? Just go, it is THAT good. I was lucky enough to be at the gig that was recorded

Hope to make the new Quintet gig and maybe Convergence - two nights on the trot, will be interesting

Now those Oxford gigs with WLS sound very interesting indeed...space being watched very closely

Enjoy the duet with Moholo-Moholo. can't wait for the recording.....

Thank you all for the kind words about the album with Joe. It's a real honour to get to play with him, and indeed the other guys in that band...and I may have said it before, but it bears repeating: not only is he a wonderful player, but one of life's true nice guys.

Mark - it'd be great to see you at those gigs! Do say hello!

Steve - I suspect we may get to see the NYC guys in general a little more than vice-versa, but I completely take the point. I think the problem from our point of view is that the work visas are so prohibitively difficult to obtain...Recently, I can only think of Evan and John Butcher who've been over; them, plus there was a Vandermark/Lytton/Wachsmann tour a couple of years back, IIRC. As for Steve and John - I'm not sure...Canada may have been the closest they've been! I for one would love to make it over, but it's really hard!

David - ah - too bad...hopefully soon though!

Alex - you playing on the 19th Nov. at all? Unfortunately I won't be down into That London until the Saturday so I will miss your new band, which sounds amazing - but we both know what we have to do on Saturday. :)

The Lit and Phil is a lovely venue, with great pianos. I think you'll like it there...

Corey - you said it - only one thing on my mind on the Saturday ;) - no, not playing! Are you playing during the day?

Yep. Set with Robert Mitchell, then (I think) an improv free-for-all. Dom's on it, too! 2pm. Then I'll park the contraption somewhere and we'll have "NUFF" jokes; and then in the evening get to the deep listening...

Edited by coreymwamba

Corey - you said it - only one thing on my mind on the Saturday ;) - no, not playing! Are you playing during the day?

Yep. Set with Robert Mitchell, then (I think) an improv free-for-all. Dom's on it, too! 2pm. Then I'll park the contraption somewhere and we'll have "NUFF" jokes; and then in the evening get to the deep listening...

Ah nice! I'll try to make it to an afternoon set too...I may have a commitment in the day so can't be sure, but I'll give you a bell...can't wait for the evening one though!

BTW - for anyone in the London area on the fence - Maestro McPhee was on absolutely blazing form last night...do come down to catch us this evening if around!

You keep circling my area too...Sheffield, Nottingham, Lincoln! On a weekend please (or check the Notts school holidays!)!

Ah yes...a couple of weeks early...half term this week I think?!?

Maybe you could do your 'Tribute to Xmas' show in these parts from Dec 21st to Jan 2nd?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just 'up', to drum up any last minute support for the Oxford Improvisers Orchestra with special guest composer/trumpeter Wadada Leo Smith tonight - we're at the Jacqueline Du Pre in Oxford. I can't really convey how inspirational it's been to work with Wadada this week, and this should be a fitting culmination...two compositions from Wadada; a 'trumpet concerto' by myself; and a conduction from Pat Thomas...should be a good'un!

On the evidence of thursday evening's performance in this festival/residency i'd urge anyone thinking about it to go. Wadada Leo Smith was in fine form and seemed to enjoy the series of collaborations he performed with a variety of line ups - brass quartet; String quintet; keyboard/electronic trio.

Perhaps the highlights were an astonishing solo (to be sitting within touching distance made it all the more special) and a beautiful duet with piano (sparing the pianist's blushes, mentioning no boardee's names!).

It was a fine testament to Oxford improvising and of course to the musical generosity of WLS.

I can only assume that a number of the musicicians he played with on thursday will be in the collaboration tonight.

Mark - great to see you! Thanks for the kind comments about the duo...that was a real honour, it goes without saying...as you say, that solo was spectacular though...wow. Talk about playing the silence...

The use of silence was indeed loud and eloquent (sent me back to my Kabell Years box). what was the piece you played, Alex? didn't sound like an improvisation and you'd mentioned there was one lined up.

We played 'Nuru Light: The Prince of Peace' - I did a version on my first Ensemble record which I gave to Wadada a few years ago; and he'd just recently reworked it into an orchestral piece (I believe it was performed in Washington DC a few weeks back)...so we thought it would be a nice one to do...the original is on Nessa in fact - 'Procession of the Great Ancestry'.

We played 'Nuru Light: The Prince of Peace' - I did a version on my first Ensemble record which I gave to Wadada a few years ago; and he'd just recently reworked it into an orchestral piece (I believe it was performed in Washington DC a few weeks back)...so we thought it would be a nice one to do...the original is on Nessa in fact - 'Procession of the Great Ancestry'.

Thanks Alex. got that so will revisit and also listn again to the first Ensemble CD