Strange quote from Chick Corea

AllenLowe

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Scientology is the same thing as Islam - and I do think Scientology has an impact on many of Corea's pseudo-populist postures.

Do these postures translate to his fingers?

If you still think so, I suggest you check this out -- recorded live at the Blue Note, NYC in May 2010:

http://www.amazon.com/Further-Explorations-Chick-Corea/dp/B004VN7V18/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1321019341&sr=1-1

Again, the music is what matters. Discussion of all else is a waste of bandwidth in cyberspace.

D'ya think we could stop already with the mindless criticism of a musician who happened to say one "bad" thing? All that should really matter is that Corea's given much to the music that we all enjoy so much. He still performs at a VERY high level for a spry old man aged 70!

Methinks this has more to do with some automatic ridicule for his beliefs. As far as I know, we still do have religious freedom in the US.

Chick is a great musician, check my posts, but and he does have freedom to believe anything he wants. But is scientology a religion? More of a cult, according to what I read.

You seem to be missing the point of my post.

Are you saying that if it's a cult, and not a religion, that he doesn't have the freedom to follow it as he wishes? Does he seem the worse for wear? Does he need saving from the cult, as an impressionable child might? Is this really so different than any other of your jazz heroes deciding mid-life to become muslim? And even if it is, who really cares? Anyone here is free to NOT buy his new music. To just drone on and on about some insignificant facet of his life is just plain ignorant and WRONG!

ATR was hardly droning on about it and merely posited that Scientology may not be a religion. In fact, several nations still don't recognize that Scientology is a religion and the US government is forever trying to define it as a methodology, not a religion, and get some tax monies.

I spent several years living in a rented house with Scientologists, and several additional years involved musically with a guitarist and song-writer who was a Scientologist, and from that viewpoint I don't really see Dianetics and Scientology as a religion but at its best as an alternative to psychiatry. For many of its adherents it starts out as a sort of self-improvement therapy series and then can become something else with further involvement. Its biggest enemy (in its own estimation) is the psychiatric community and accepted psychology; Scientologists believe they have the new/old truth in this field and should have the place of privilege and rank. They've gone another route instead.

I DO think that Scientology informs Corea's work, but agree with John that it's hardly different than the way that other belief systems or methodologies (or lack of same) have influenced the work of other jazz artists.

The fact that I called it a religion was NOT the point of my post. I could have just as easily called it 'shit', and it still would not matter.

I know that ATR produces jazz records. That does NOT make him more informed about anything other than producing jazz records than you or I.

You treat me like that and you expect me to put Subject to Change on CD for you? :lol:

i found his arc trio music very exciting and promising and those records of miniatures for ecm brilliant.

Never doubted Rosenwinkel's talent BTW. He's talented indeed. (I know you meant Chick) The self-absorption is what gets old fast. It's All Kurt All The Time. So the F%$k what? Show me you care about something else in music or life than what a bad MF you think you are. Otherwise IMO not only are you BORING, you pretty much miss the point of it all.

It reminds me of Pat Metheny (also very good but doesn't do it for me most of the time) offering to break a guitar over Kenny G.'s head for overdubbing over Pops. He had a point, but who made him God---or spokesman for jazz. When I can 'pat' to Pat---mainly my foot on 2 and 4---when he makes me move in my body, and gives me that 'healin' feelin'---like Pops does I may give more credence to his opinion---Kenny G. or no. That hasn't come close to happening yet. He's a great guitarist, though. Just not Charlie Christian---different time and vibe---and I'm an old fart, I guess...

No wonder a tenor player friend complained about guitar player egomaniacs. He didn't mean Paul Meyers, Toninho Horta, Ed Cherry, James Chirillo, er, myself, though.

Edited by fasstrack