CD's - Going Going Gone?

Dave James

I came across an article in a music magazine called Side-Line suggesting the the major labels already have plans in place to eliminate the compact disc within the next five years. The article is woefully short on source accreditation, but it still is an interesting read. Sort of sounds like CD's might go the way of vinyl in that they will morph into a higher end specialty product. Could be worth some discussion.

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

Lots of interesting points brought up in the Discussion section under the link you gave.

Amazing (and comforting) to see there are that many (way outside our jazz etc. collectors' world, it seems) who want the PHYSICAL product, not something out there on some "cloud" (as one of them said). Sounds familiar ... :D

Lots of interesting points brought up in the Discussion section under the link you gave.

Amazing (and comforting) to see there are that many (way outside our jazz etc. collectors' world, it seems) who want the PHYSICAL product, not something out there on some "cloud" (as one of them said). Sounds familiar ... :D

Agreed. Unfortunately, to the record companies this is like the mew of the gelded male.

Sort of sounds like CD's might go the way of vinyl in that they will morph into a higher end specialty product. Could be worth some discussion.

It's been discussed many times before. That's exactly what I see happening.

Except...I'd imagine the sure fire sellers will still come out on CD to sell to people who don't buy many recordings, never venture onto iTunes but might pick a CD up in the supermarket.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Playing CDs already feels weird to me - put in the disk, sit in front of the stereo... I had some time off work and managed to do some of that and I must say it was great, nice big orchestral sound - ¬BLATT¬: WAHHH! ~BOOMFF>>> - but I never have time for it and it feels quaint. Streaming is the way - even downloads feel old fashioned to me. And with streaming you get proper economies of scale - I mean, its cheaper.

Hard drives are CHEAP. $80 will get you a 2 TB drive on sale. Back everything up on at least 2 backups, never need to worry about it.

I spent my entire life with tons of physical product, LPs, then cassettes, then CDs, then DVDs and Blu-Rays...and I gotta say I'm tired of ALL of it. I just want what's inside, the container is worthless.

Playing CDs already feels weird to me - put in the disk, sit in front of the stereo... I had some time off work and managed to do some of that and I must say it was great, nice big orchestral sound - ¬BLATT¬: WAHHH! ~BOOMFF>>> - but I never have time for it and it feels quaint. Streaming is the way - even downloads feel old fashioned to me. And with streaming you get proper economies of scale - I mean, its cheaper.

This post made me sad. Hearing music the way it's supposed to sound probably does seem quaint or ridiculous to a lot of folks now, especially younger people. My 25-ish nephew, who definitely likes music, visited me about a month ago, and I don't think he had heard any music on anything except computer speakers or iPod earbuds for years, if ever.

And lest I appear to be a total dinosaur - I love my iPod (although I invested in better earbuds) and I download music - but only when it's something I can't get any other way. But whenever I can, I listen parked between those Tannoy speakers.

This post made me sad. Hearing music the way it's supposed to sound probably does seem quaint or ridiculous to a lot of folks now, especially younger people. My 25-ish nephew, who definitely likes music, visited me about a month ago, and I don't think he had heard any music on anything except computer speakers or iPod earbuds for years, if ever.

I can beat David in the "sad" department. I haven't had an actual stereo system with speakers in 10, probably 15 years. CDs get listened to on the computer or portable CD players. I do have a turntable, but it is only used for digitizing LPs. I've never once heard an LP on it properly, i.e. through a stereo system. I'm sort of looking to change this, but with small children and a likely in-town move next year, it will probably be two more years at least before I can do anything about it.

I can beat David in the "sad" department. I haven't had an actual stereo system with speakers in 10, probably 15 years. CDs get listened to on the computer or portable CD players. I do have a turntable, but it is only used for digitizing LPs. I've never once heard an LP on it properly, i.e. through a stereo system. I'm sort of looking to change this, but with small children and a likely in-town move next year, it will probably be two more years at least before I can do anything about it.

I recommend becoming a 78 collector like me. It's by far the most convenient and practical way to listen to music. And a 78 collection hardly takes up any space.....

I love the physical product. I've enough music to last a lifetime, but i bet I can still buy more for years to come. No streaming for me, hate listening to music on computers. I hardly use my iPod, and my phone is just a phone, doesn't spin music. All that works fine for me.

Edited by jazzbo

I buy CDs, put them on my computer so they can be transferred to Google Music Beta, and then stream them to my phone (listening through either Sony Bluetooth headphones or a Logitech Bluetooth speaker). However, whenever possible I much prefer to be parked in my chair, listening to CDs played on my stereo.

I download but burn to CD-R and then listen in horse-and-cart fashion. I also love the i-Pod allowing me to carry a huge range of music with me and play it wherever I go - I have 4! Also great for early in the morning - I can potter around with the iPod on and not worry about the music seeping through walls and waking the neighbours.

I've dabbled with Spotify but found I used it less than I expected.

I only buy CDs now if I can't get the music via download.

Interesting little snippet in this month's Gramophone about some Hi-Fi company which is training its vendors not to sneer at customers when they mention their iPod - instead tell them just how wonderful it will sound when linked through the gadget being sold.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The technology geniuses need to figure out a way to stream liner notes and cover art. Part of the enjoyment of owning an LP or a CD is reading the notes which contain interesting information about the songs and the artists. I do not listen to jazz as background music to something else I am doing- I listen to the music for the music and often refer to the notes.

I rip everything in lossless format, play it on my Mac which is the main component of my stereo system. It sounds identical to the physical product, except I can shuffle around 15,000 songs or so instead of 10 at a time. Using a search box instead of trying to find a disc on the shelf is a major time saver and my time is valuable.

These days the discs I buy usually have a bonus DVD or something that gets me to spring for the physical product. However they still end being ripped into the computer at some point and then the disc remains sitting on the shelf.

Edited by Shawn

My two year old is a regular with me at our local record store.

Same here. In fact, mine usually walks on ahead with his 5yr old brother, heads for the listening station thingy & has the headphones on by the time I get there

I buy only vinyl for reggae & ska etc, and cd for everything else :shrug[1]:

Edited by cih

The trick is to get to where you can hear whatever you want in your head anytime you want to hear it. Then you don't need anything but your head.

It's also easier on the hearing too! I only use my iPod for traveling and I've barely used it this week, simply because like you I seem to have a pretty good stereo in my head (with improvising abilities). I guess the iPod is good for something that hasn't been heard before (I put on a few newer things to get more familiar with on this visit), but with a small Spotify in the head, I could make due if heaven forbid it broke.

First off, I think Jim's basic point is correct, that music is a matter of (trained) imagination not sound.

I do query the idea that listening to a stereo you hear music as it was meant to be heard. Some music is designed to be heard on reproductive equipment, much is designed for other contexts and recording/reproduction in part simulates that. So 'home listening' in front of the stereo seems no more of an ambition than 'home watching' of the er telly. That is, it is a social habit, one way of getting in to music if that's what you want, but all very 1950s, somehow (not by accident, the 'albums' we all seem to love here are products of a certain period and modality of lifestyle music). I personally like to hear acoustic music or mixed acoustic/amplified/electronic music in performance spaces such as Cafe Oto or the Barbican. That is not the 'reality' of music either, but it is a context and way of listening I greatly prefer. But I have been wondering about this because we are substantially remodelling our house, and while I was all for setting up the 'stereo' and even upgrading it, I'm beginning to wonder now what kind of access to music I really need domestically.