Lee Friedlander

"American Musicians" is probably the top book of music-related photographs I have[not just jazz inside, but country, gospel, bluegrass, r&b, etc].

A word of advice to those interested in the book - try to get the hard cover version. It'll hold better than the paper-back.

PS - If you ever wanted to see what Pee Wee Marquette looked like, he's on page 162.

"American Musicians" is probably the top book of music-related photographs I have[not just jazz inside, but country, gospel, bluegrass, r&b, etc].

A word of advice to those interested in the book - try to get the hard cover version. It'll hold better than the paper-back.

PS - If you ever wanted to see what Pee Wee Marquette looked like, he's on page 162.

Absolutely. The hardcover is the one to get. And this is one of the best photo book around. Friedlander is a Giant.

And Pee Wee Marquette also is among the unidentified people shown in the bottom photo on page 258. He is seated next to Bud Powell. And Lester Young is seated in center. And that's Count Basie talking with two guys at right. Great photo of Bud and Prez brooding in their corner!

And the photo above that one identified Lester Young and son, Phineas Newborn, unidentified. That's Calvin Newborn, not Phineas. And the unidentified guy next to Newborn looks like Henry Grimes to me.

Most of the major book stores (chains) don't carry the hard back book anymore, but if you go to the Barnes and Noble web site, they have a network of used/rare book dealers that have the hardback, ranging from $25.00 to $75.00. I've use this service on many hard to find/out of print books with great results. I already have this book but there are several on the site at this time!

Mark

And the photo above that one identified Lester Young and son, Phineas Newborn, unidentified. That's Calvin Newborn, not Phineas.

Amazing! I noticed the same discrepancy. I can see how easy it was to mistake Calvin for Phineas, they looked so much alike. Except Phineas was very short.

I remember there was one or two more photos where the brothers were misidentified.