Miles Davis Record Store Day Black Friday 2011

trane_fanatic

I think jazz would do well to associate itself with RSD. I live in a small city, third tier market. Aside from Squidco, who relocated here last year and is really a mail order house with a store front, we have one record store left. They do a good job with promotion. I went to RSD last year. Although they didn't have any of the exclusives that I wanted, the shop was absolutely packed. One hour in line to get rung up. It is a very successful marketing campaign based on extremely limited edition vinyl releases. I think both jazz labels, jazz fans etc. and record stores could benefit.

I think jazz would do well to associate itself with RSD. I live in a small city, third tier market. Aside from Squidco, who relocated here last year and is really a mail order house with a store front, we have one record store left. They do a good job with promotion. I went to RSD last year. Although they didn't have any of the exclusives that I wanted, the shop was absolutely packed. One hour in line to get rung up. It is a very successful marketing campaign based on extremely limited edition vinyl releases. I think both jazz labels, jazz fans etc. and record stores could benefit.

Speaking as one who loathes Black Friday sales, I basically can't support RSD. It's just an attempt to create artificial scarcity (and the subsequent buzz) around products that are very rarely worthy of such attention. An hour to stand in line and buy some crappy limited edition vinyl? No thanks. Personally, I don't think that making casual customers go through that is more likely to bring them into the shops at other, more normal, less crowded times.

Ironically, I did go to the RSD just a short while back since I was in Chicago and wanted to see what the Numero Group's pop-up store was like. That at least had some true rarities, though in the spirit of honesty, the super rare 45 I picked up from them -- I listened to it once and found it totally forgettable. Now the limited edition CD that Numero Group put out (Burned at Boddie I think it was) is actually pretty good, but it's been available at DG for months after RSD was over, so I certainly didn't need to hustle down there.

I get that. There have only been a handful of title that appealed to me, and were overpriced at that, which is why I've only purchased a couple of items on RSD. I still think it's fun though, and it's good to see people into music and excited about it.

Also--I've got that Numero Group "Downriver Revival" and it's killer! Been watching for others.

Edited by vinyltim

I guess I was a little harsh on RSD. It can be fun, if you like dealing with crowds. I never really did (in a shopping context anyway) and I am probably more anti-social than ever (for me on-line shopping is not only acceptable, it is definitely preferable). I just don't think pushing jazz through RSD is going to lead to any long-lasting benefits.

I do, however, really support what Numero Group is up to and have bought quite a number of their recent releases, including the full-blown Boddie Recording Company set and the newest Eccentric Soul. :tup Haven't had a chance to listen to them though. :(

I'm no fan or crowds either--I went in the afternoon (the spring RSD) and even that was rough for me. Just glad that it gets people engaged.

I will look into the Boddie stufff--thanks...

Yeah, you can listen to samples of pretty much all their releases on their website: Boddie at Numero

Numero is definitely more soul, and even pop, oriented (than most of what I listen to), but many of their releases have been quite good. (I would definitely check out the Cult Cargo series also. One of them has a crazy cover of Take Five.)

I kind of think of Numero releases as the alternative history of pop music. Some of these groups had the talent to make it quite big, but they signed to the wrong label and/or broke up before they really got noticed (and switched labels). And perhaps had there been less payola in radio at the time, maybe some of them would have gotten further.

But in general, I like the Numero model a lot more than the RSD model with its artificial scarcity. This piece kind of hints at the pros and cons: Chicagoist on RSD. Honestly, I think some people just get the colored vinyl for scarcity's sake, and it's not much better than those people getting collector spoons or first day issue of stamps. But then when the industry sort of suggests that there is money to be made, but in fact fans are left with crappy products with no inherent value, then that definitely risks burning out the whole movement when people start to feel they've been scammed -- or alternatively they find they can never find what they were looking for because it sold out in minutes (or wasn't actually distributed properly). The positives only slightly outweigh the negatives in my mind. Incidentally, here is co-founder of Numero Group discussing RSD: Rob on RSD

Wow--VERY interesting, thanks for the link.

I can't say that I disagree, although I hadn't taken such a dark view on it. I did not spent much $$, but then again, I don't buy many new records--almost all old LPs (and very little indie rock), so it seems to me that RSD is not really geared towards me anyway. Mr.Sevier is probably right, most of those releases aren't worth the vinyl they're printed on and the record labels are trying to make a quick buck--and taking advantage of the consumer--I guess buyer beware.

Last year I liked the Fela Kuti and Hendrix 7"'s I bought, but I tried to buy a Peter Tosh 7" on green vinyl (mostly just to support the store, you can find an original NM copy of the LP for the same price) and every copy in the store was badly warped.....so $10 for crap, I can't go for that. Record label trying to cash in on a craze and letting the retailers take the hit!

In a very broad way I think it's good, but if the products aren't great it will just end up alienating consumers and hurting (what's left of) the independent businesses.

Edited by vinyltim