i'm considering wifi radio

alocispepraluger102

realizing that it, at home, it would be just a substitute for desktops and laptops, i so far, have held out.

satellite radio doesn't interest me, nor does itunes.

the increasing access of wifi hotspots suggests that it might be a good buy.

i'm interested only in radios, modest in size, that would access most online stations.

has anyone experience with wifi radio?tophat.gif

We like waking up to country music. Living in the New York-metropolitan area, country music stations are about as rare as hen's teeth. There's a station on Long Island whose signal's too weak to be picked up here. Ah, but they also broadcast over the Net! We have an iHome clock radio with an iPod input. We also have a spare iPod Touch. We use the TuneIn Radio app to find the country station, and it works beautifully with our wifi network and the clock radio - we wake up to the station as if it were coming in over the air.

I got a Logitech Squeezebox that's pretty easy to use and has great sound for it's size. You can pick radio stations or Pandora or lots of other internet options. Worth checking out.

I bought this over a year ago based on a recommendation here on the forum. I really enjoy it. Great sound also.

I own the Squeezebox Touch (for my home stereo) and a Squeezebox radio (for bedside, patio, garage, etc). I've spent the last 5-6 months ripping my CD collection to FLAC and can now stream all of my music (25,000 songs) in CD quality via wifi to anywhere on my property. I seldom listen to internet radio but these units can do that too. I LOVE the squeezebox.

Edited by Brute

very convincing-----

are there units small enough to carry around to the many hot spots--restaurants, fast food joints, libraries, ymca's, malls?

of course i can use the laptop, but i was thinking of something smaller, mainly with an earphone jack.

How about an iPod Touch? It has wifi built in. Just use a radio app with it, like TuneIn Radio.

I got a Logitech Squeezebox that's pretty easy to use and has great sound for it's size.

same here. the only problem is limitations the stations might have with streaming. there are always blackouts while the squeezebox is rebuffering. i still don't know if that's a problem on the station's side or on the squeezebox's.

I got a Logitech Squeezebox that's pretty easy to use and has great sound for it's size.

same here. the only problem is limitations the stations might have with streaming. there are always blackouts while the squeezebox is rebuffering. i still don't know if that's a problem on the station's side or on the squeezebox's.

Or your network.

Or your network.

Right........I haven't had any buffering problems, myself.