AFC/NFC Championships

any picks?

anyone's team left?

i am down with the eagles and colts.

colts MUST score 30 to win, if not they could lose.

Maybe next year for the Browns, SS.

You are a real fan to support them like that. Good for you. :tup

My picks are Eagles and Patriots.

Colts are scary though. I also believe that those are the two best teams in football right now.

Just for Conn, here are my patented "wishful thinking picks":

Indianapolis beats the boring as paint-drying Patriots 27-24 and sissy-girl Brady's eyeblack runs with his tears like a cheap lap dancer at the end of a slow night.

Carolina continues their miracle run by beating the dancing BEagles 20-10 by employing a new conceptual strategy the Packers will be interested in. Carolina is calling this innovastive technique "defense" -- it apparently comes in really handy on 4th down.

"On paper" picks - Eagles & Colts.

My brain says Carolina's been playing good solid, fundamentally sound ball all season and shows no signs of stopping now, whereas Philly's been kinda up and down (admittedly up lately), and with them, you never can predict when it's gonna be "up" or when it's gonna be "down". Shit happens, right Cheeseheads?

My brain also tells me that although Manning seem to be on a mission from God this season that in football, Hell is not hot, it's cold, and Foxboro is it's name.

My gut tells me that this is the year for non-glamour, so it'll be Carolina and the Pats, w/the extra non-glam Panthers winning the Bowl since it's in Houston and there's a BUNCH of Cajuns around Houston. Never, EVER, underestimate the power of a bunch of Cajuns all "on the same page", so to speak. You do so at your peril.

Paper, brain, gut. Which one to trust? Usually my gut, but since my inner fan (voice #4) is still pulling for the Eagles to win the Bowl, I ain't a-bettin'!

The "big games" have been very disappointing recently. The BCS was a joke, the World Series was anti-climactic and the Super Bowl looks to be a snoozer. And I'm not saying that just because of the Chiefs/Cubs folding. I hope those who like the teams that make it to the Super Bore enjoy the game, and I wish them luck (conn! :) ). I just pray it's at least an exciting game.

I'll be looking forward to the commercials.

Anyone here planning big SB parties? I usually make up a batch o'chili and jalapeno cornbread. Unless it's a nice day, in which case I may break out my new Cabela's smoker and do up a pork loin. And beer of course- I'm thinking Shiner Bock this year. C'mon over- I just set up the surround sound. :party:

Just for Conn, here are my patented "wishful thinking picks":

Indianapolis beats the boring as paint-drying Patriots 27-24 and sissy-girl Brady's eyeblack runs with his tears like a cheap lap dancer at the end of a slow night.

:g

I'll be laughing when we beat your "exciting" Colts, Chris.

If the Colts win, I won't show up! :lol:

When the Pats win their second SuperBowl in three years, the other teams will finally recognize what mindset builds winning football teams; and they will follow the Pats' methods of picking up reasonably-priced free agents and hire good coaching staff to make good players out of them.

The successful NFL teams will be boring (to Chris;) and he will then go back to his "exciting" NBA! :P

Again, if the Colts win, I'm AWOL!!

The "big games" have been very disappointing recently. The BCS was a joke, the World Series was anti-climactic and the Super Bowl looks to be a snoozer. And I'm not saying that just because of the Chiefs/Cubs folding. I hope those who like the teams that make it to the Super Bore enjoy the game, and I wish them luck (conn! :) ). I just pray it's at least an exciting game.

I'll be looking forward to the commercials.

Anyone here planning big SB parties? I usually make up a batch o'chili and jalapeno cornbread. Unless it's a nice day, in which case I may break out my new Cabela's smoker and do up a pork loin. And beer of course- I'm thinking Shiner Bock this year. C'mon over- I just set up the surround sound. :party:

Sounds like a blast, Free.

How far is KC from here?? ;):g

Any of you guys read "The Sport's Guy" whose columns appear on espn.nfl? That guy is incredibly funny.

During the Titans-Pats game, the cameras were on Titan's coach, Jeff Fisher, who was sporting a gigantic frozen booger on his moustache. The Sports Guy couldn't believe that one of Fisher's assistants couldn't have informed him, "Look, Jeff. We're on national television, and you've got this 15-pound ice booger frozen to your moustache..." :lol:

It is so true. Fisher must not have a very close coaching staff.

Yes, I'm guilty of finding the Colts more fun to watch than the Pats-- I guess I appreciate a pass over 7 yards to those things called "wide receivers" on other teams :).

If Manning plays as well as he has been and they can keep some semblance of a defensive line, then Colts win. But it will be cold, and more importantly, you can't discount big game experience which the Patriots have. I just hope the Patriots start to buy into their own mystique about playing at home in the cold-- that might be their psychological downfall.

Carolina/Philly is tougher to call. Deep in his Chunky soup eating heart, McNabb knows the Packers lost the last game, Philly didn't win it. And given his own performance (which was pretty good, all things considered) he will be driven to try to do as much as possible himself since the rest of his team isn't helping a lot, which could be their ruination. But they will be motivated not to lose three in a row and possibly get shot on the street in Philadelphia.

On the other hand, Carolina has the feel-good story of the year going... but they are very vulnerable with Delhomme, who might just wake up and start playing like-- well-- Delhomme.

I'm going to stick with my wishful thinking picks, but it wouldn't surprise me if it went either way in either game.

Then I'll go back to watching the NBA and college men's madness while Conn admires the clean fundamentals of college women battling to gritty, 44-42 wins :)

Then I'll go back to watching the NBA and college men's madness while Conn admires the clean fundamentals of college women battling to gritty, 44-42 wins :)

Ohhhhhh that was a low blow! ;):lol:

Look Chris,

Let's get one thing perfectly clear: I am probably as exasperated with the New England offensive strategy as you are. It appears to be effective, but I'm old school; and I believe that we should just hand the ball off to Antoine Smith 25-30 times in the cold weather. No one gets more frustrated with Offensive Coordinator, Charlie Weiss' plays calls than I do. I was hoping that Buffalo would sign him as their new head coach and we would be rid of this man forever.

It's the New England defence which I find highly interesting. They play some real football.

How do you get to Manning?

Belichick will disguise his defensive formations. Everyone will be at the line of scrimmage then back up or there will be lots of shifting going on. If Manning goes into that no-huddle, quick read stuff, he will find that once the ball is snapped, the defensive look has changed. This will lead him to hold the ball longer and give the New England pass rush a chance to get him.

But Manning is a good quarterback. It will be an exciting chess match for sure.

Hope you don't get too bored Chris. Maybe you should stick on a tape or something watching an NBA player score 60 points while losing the game. :P

Thanks, SS.

Looking forward to it. And looking forward to watching Edge have to run outside to avoid Big Ted Washington in the middle. On the wings he will run into Willie McGinnest and Mike Vrabel with Roman Pfifer and Teddy Bruschi there to help out. Edge also better not try to struggle for extra yards, because Rodney will be coming in at full steam dying for a chance at a big hit.

If the Colts beat us, they will do it in the air. No one runs on the Pats.

On the other hand, I predict a big day for Antoine Smith.

I'll be the first to say... that was UGLY. ouch.

Okay everyone: may we have a brief moment of silence for Chris and his concept of "exciting" football... :lol:

Defence wins Championships, Chris. Manning, the perfect quarterback; and Marvin Harrison, the perfect receiver were stymied by a defence playing team ball.

Our offense is workable; nothing outstanding but certain names stand out or will become known: Tom Brady, Troy Brown, David Givens. I won't name the offensive line, although they did a great job.

Our defence is dominating. They bend without breaking. Belichick and Crennel came up with a great plan to stymie the vaunted Colts' offense. The Pats zone coverage is very effective as people like Ty Law and Rodney Harrison can see what happens at the line of scrimmage. In the meantime, the Indy offensive line was looking at containing Mike Vrabel (who had 2 sacks the first game with Indy) and Willie Mcginnest. In the meantime, DL Jarvis Green who comes in on pass plays (replacing Big Ted Washington) is able to break through for 3 sacks.

Man, I was eating that game up!!

Our average offense allowed the Colts a chance to get back in it, but the defence wouldn't allow it.

Edgerrin James looked real good on that one drive in the third quarter. Then we had to stop him and get Peyton to throw again. I've seen Ty Law play a lot of great games over his nine year career with the Pats, but this one just may have been his greatest game. The Titans didn't throw a single pass on Ty Law's side of the field and he didn't even register a tackle in that game, but he was ready to shut down Marvin Harrison, who caught only 3 balls for 19 yards.

I smell a Super Bowl victory. Looks like we might play the Panthers, who are much more dangerous than the Eagles, in my opinion. Pats have already defeated the Eagles twice this season (one was a preseason game.)

Victory is SWEET! :g:tup:party:

If the Pats win their second Super Bowl in three years (and they've got to be the heavy favorites,) I hope we will see a change in the mentality of team owners and general managers. The Bill Belichick model is one of acquiring modestly-priced players who play teamball. Everyone was falling over themselves in the offseason to sign up Hugh Douglas, who was basically a flop all season; but who went after Ted Washington or Tyrone Poole? Rodney Harrison was a pretty big name, but apparently he was thought to have been washed up by the rest of the league.

In the meantime, NE trades away one of their two first round picks in exchange for loading up on middle round picks for both 2003 and 2004 drafts. They select two starting offensive linemen in the 4th rounds along with cornerback Asante Samuel (4th,) starting free safety Eugene Wilson (2nd) wr Bethel Johnson (3rd) and what might eventually prove the pick of the draft: Dan Klecko (5th). Klecko wasn't even activated today as the team is so deep that good players have to sit out certain games week to week. Credit the head of Player Personnel, Scott Pioli as well for building this "boring" (quoting Chris) team which some reporters are beginning to call a budding dynasty.

This was the season where Keyshaun was told to just not show up at the stadium for the rest of the year; where the Browns dumped Kevin Johnson as a bad lockerroom influence; where Corey Dillon talked himself into being traded before the next season begins; where the Tampa Bay Bucs played more football with their mouths than with their bodies. What the successful teams need are good players who aren't enamoured with themselves and buy into the team concept.

This is the reality in today's salary cap environment. The Colts just might prove to be the second best team in football and one of their superstars, Peyton Manning doesn't even have a contract for 2004. In order to keep him, talk is that either they will have to pay him a $20-30 million dollar signing bonus or they'll have to hit him with the "franchise" tag, and his salary will account for 25% of 2004's salary cap. In the meantime, the Colts will have to let go of key players in order to afford keeping Peyton Manning. The Titans face salary cap Hell next year as well. Belichick just releases players when they are unwilling to renegotiate their salaries or when they become a lockerroom pox. (witness Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, Lawyer Milloy.)

If Belichick and Scott Pioli do develop a football dynasty, watch all the other teams start to follow their cue and unload expensive superstars in favor of good team players.

Personally, If I were the Colts, I would let Peyton go. No team can afford to use up a quarter of their cap space on one player. With a good coaching staff, a team can develop young players.

Congrats, Paul. Tough defensive games today. I never thought Peyton Manning would be shut down so soundly. So much for Football Jesus. I think the Colts have to keep him, though. If he does leave, where do you see him going? Dallas? How about Pittsburgh? They both really need an upgrade at the QB position.

One other observation. Does the league tell the officials to stop calling Pass Interference in the championships? Good GAWD there were a lot of no calls in both games.

Congrats, Paul. Tough defensive games today. I never thought Peyton Manning would be shut down so soundly. So much for Football Jesus. I think the Colts have to keep him, though. If he does leave, where do you see him going? Dallas? How about Pittsburgh? They both really need an upgrade at the QB position.

One other observation. Does the league tell the officials to stop calling Pass Interference in the championships? Good GAWD there were a lot of no calls in both games.

Thanks Jim.

I think the Colts will keep Manning.

The sportswriters say that it would be difficult to come up with the $20-30 million signing bonus as the RCA dome doesn't generate enough revenues to cover such bills. They might franchise him and take the big cap hit.

Manning and Marvin Harrison share the same agent.

There was a lot of hard hitting out there in the secondary today. :g Eugene Wilson had a couple of big pops. Rodney lays the lumber pretty good.

I loved the way the news media talked up Stokley, claiming that he was just another weapon for Manning. He didn't do much today, and then Eugene popped him forcing a dropped ball.

I love it. :P

Anyway, Jim, apparently the Titans have some big decisions to make as well. Kearse and George are probably gone. They might lose some others as well. With Chris Brown playing like he does, I don't think Tennesse will miss Eddie George and his big salary.