Johnny Glasel 1930-2011 RIP

HolgerFreimutSchrick

Johnny Glasel played in the 1940s with Bob Wilber and Sidney Bechet, in the 50s also with Bob Wilber's Ensemble The Six and with Bill Russo. Under his own name, he recorded several albums, most notably John Glasel Brasstet (1959), with Eddie Bert, Gene Allen, Louis Mucci, Jimmy Buffington, Dick Cary, John Drew und Ed Shaughnessy; the recordings were published 45 years later on Fresh Sound. Most prominent was his role on the Into the Hot-Session, where he' s been heard on three titles of John Carisi, published unter Gil Evans Orchestra: Into the Hot (Impulse). In his later years he has worked a session musician with John Denver, Walter Wanderley und Astrud Gilberto (I Haven't Got Anything Better to Do 1969), in the 1970s with Roberta Flack and Eddy Mitchell (Made in USA).

see the complete article:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Glasel

see also (but incomplete):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Glasel

Edited by Holger Schrick

Johnny Glasel -trumpet

Dick Garcia -guitar , 5 tracks *

Perry Lopez- guitar , 3 tracks +

Whitey Mitchell-bass

Osie Johnson- drums

tracks ABC 165

taps miller *

I couldnt do without you*

ruby my dear +

two for the show *

Harvey not Walter*

Three to make ready*

Star eyes +

The Party's over +

Ah, now I remember where Johnny Glasel's name last crossed my searches:

I have the original RKO-Unique LP of the Westchester Workshop LP (and therefore half of that Fresh Sound CD) so for the time being (maybe wrongly) skipped that reissue.

Yes, that Westchester Workshop is a very insteresting obscurity.

Ah, now I remember where Johnny Glasel's name last crossed my searches:

I have the original RKO-Unique LP of the Westchester Workshop LP (and therefore half of that Fresh Sound CD) so for the time being (maybe wrongly) skipped that reissue.

Yes, that Westchester Workshop is a very insteresting obscurity.

What's the year, when the RKO-Unique-LP was published? (I think, it's the same label who edited the LP Mingus in Stuttgart 1964?)

The discographies give a recording date of 1956 for the Westchester Workshop LP (RKO-103) and Goldmine states the publishing date as 1957.

Which sounds credible - the publishing date of another RKO-Unique LP I have (RKO-124, Herbie Fields Sextet - A Night At Kitty's) also is listed as 1957.

BTW, does anybody know what the connection is between the Westchester Workshop session and the Johnny Glasel session on that Fresh Sound reissue? Any connection at all, or just a coupling of two fairly obscure sessions?