Which jazz musician do you listen to the most frequently?

Patch

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Historically, Miles/Bird/Blakey/Lee/Trane/Mingus/Monk. In 2011 I made more of a concerted effort to dust off my hard bop (Mobley, Donaldson, Hubbard, Golson/Farmer, McLean and really all Blue Note recordings). Ended the year spending more time with the New Thing and will likely continue exploring in that direction.

Resurrecting an interesting thread. Also like comparing my response to the now.

In heavy rotation in 2013: Bill Dixon and Art Ensemble of Chicago.

Interesting to look back almost two years and not the changes. This was my earlier list

SONNY STITT
JIMMY SMITH
HOUSTON PERSON
JUNIOR MANCE
GRANT GREEN
DAVID NEWMAN
BROTHER JACK MCDUFF
LES MCCANN
DR LONNIE SMITH
WILLIS 'GATOR TAIL' JACKSON
GENE AMMONS
STANLEY TURRENTINE
CHARLES EARLAND
NAT ADDERLEY
JIMMY MCGRIFF
SHIRLEY SCOTT
EDDIE 'LOCKJAW' DAVIS
RICHARD 'GROOVE' HOLMES
LOU DONALDSON
MILT JACKSON

Now, it's

SONNY STITT
RAMSEY LEWIS
AHMAD JAMAL
GRANT GREEN
GENE AMMONS
JACK MCDUFF
JIMMY MCGRIFF
SHIRLEY SCOTT
ILLINOIS JACQUET
MILT BUCKNER
LES MCCANN
LOUIS ARMSTRONG
HOUSTON PERSON
NAT ADDERLEY
JIMMY SMITH
MILT JACKSON
DR LONNIE SMITH
EDDIE 'LOCKJAW' DAVIS
STANLEY TURRENTINE
JUNIOR MANCE

Sonny Stitt is still #1, but there are definitely some different people in there.

If I don't limit it to jazz, then Ray Charles, Youssou Ndour, Bembeya Jazz National and Chief Commander Ebeneezer Obey get in there.

MG

Greats wise i pretty much rotate around the usual suspects: Monk, Miles, Ornette, Ellington, Braxton, Threadgill, Mingus, Konitz, Zorn etc. Most recently it's been Stan Getz.

On the less obvious side it would be John Hollenbeck, Steve Lehman, Harris Eisenstadt, Joe Morris and Ben Allison.

On the less fashionable side it would be Chick Corea, Dave Brubeck and Wynton Marsalis (EDIT and Pat Metheny).

Edited by xybert

The usual.

Regular rotation of soul jazz guitar players and organ for my never ending guitar studies, and then their free jazz progeny and associated saxophone cohorts.

Plus a growing 'Spotify', habit to make playlists and listen to the great Soul singers like Ann Peebles, Syreeta, Gil Scott Heron, lots of soul era Albert King.

There is a huge Contemporary White Soul scene in my capital city at the moment. Hoping it might migrate towards my slightly regional home base and stifle the 'post - hair metal' crowd. Ha Ha Ha.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been stuck on Nathan Davis lately. Talk about being obscure, under recorded, over looked, it would be N.D. If you like the sound of non free Trane, pick up the following titles, some will be difficult to find: The Best Of Nathan Davis '65-'66, Faces Of Love, If(if u like jazz funk), I'm A Fool To Want You, Jazz Concert In A Benedictine Monastery, 'Live' Jazz At Pitt-The 25th Anniversary Concert 2CD, London By Night, Makatuka, The Nathan Davis Sextet/Peace Treaty, Rules Of Freedom(get this one 1st if u can find it), Two Originals: Happy Girl&The Hip Walk, The 6th Sense In The 11th House, Suite For Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

(get this one last unless u like your history in music). I think Billy Harper and Nathan Davis best carried the sound of Trane. Imo, Davis' ideas are more fluid and blusey than Harper's.

I've been stuck on Nathan Davis lately. Talk about being obscure, under recorded, over looked, it would be N.D. If you like the sound of non free Trane, pick up the following titles, some will be difficult to find: The Best Of Nathan Davis '65-'66, Faces Of Love, If(if u like jazz funk), I'm A Fool To Want You, Jazz Concert In A Benedictine Monastery, 'Live' Jazz At Pitt-The 25th Anniversary Concert 2CD, London By Night, Makatuka, The Nathan Davis Sextet/Peace Treaty, Rules Of Freedom(get this one 1st if u can find it), Two Originals: Happy Girl&The Hip Walk, The 6th Sense In The 11th House, Suite For Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

(get this one last unless u like your history in music). I think Billy Harper and Nathan Davis best carried the sound of Trane. Imo, Davis' ideas are more fluid and blusey than Harper's.

I discovered Nathan Davis on Dusko Goykovich's 'Swinging Macedonia'. He played quite a bit with Goykovich in Europe in the mid sixties, 'London by Night' is a product of that liason. 'Peace Treaty' got an (expensive) re-release on mini-lp CD in Japan a couple of years ago. Woody Shaw is in that outfit along with Kenny Clarke so it was a no-brainer for me. I don't see much stuff by Davis where I go shopping but he's someone l'd always want more of. If you don't have 'Swinging Macedonia' get it.