Which jazz musician do you listen to the most frequently?

Patch

Duke, Trane, Armstrong, Art Pepper, Sonny Rollins, Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Milt Jackson, Kenny Burrell.

There are others (Dexter, Grant Green and John Scofield come to mind) who I've listened to so much that I'm not sure I'll hear anything additional out of their work.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilen does play, alongside Miles, on an old French soundtrack recording I have (had?-- can't find it), Ascenseur pour l'echafaud. Haven't listened to that in a while because-- if I recall, it was kind of 'snippety', small ambiguous bits of music for the film. Maybe I'm wrong and need to check it out again.

Definitely worth checking out again. For me it's one of the great Miles albums particularly for its difference. Instead of standard song forms, he gets to experiment with atmospheric pieces to work with the film, and I think this is where he develops a lot of the minimalist, "gestural" playing that he'd more fully explore years later in his first electric period.

Thanks for the board welcome. A wide range of straight, trad, bop, and free (no smoothies!). I'm not familiar with John Butcher or Barney Wilen. I suspect they're two musicians separated by a common instrument :)

Wilen does play, alongside Miles, on an old French soundtrack recording I have (had?-- can't find it), Ascenseur pour l'echafaud. Haven't listened to that in a while because-- if I recall, it was kind of 'snippety', small ambiguous bits of music for the film. Maybe I'm wrong and need to check it out again.

For Butcher, for a start, try "Fixations" "Optic" and "News from the Shed" on Emanem (can order directly from them), or some of the titles on Clean Feed. This is really just scratching the surface. Butcher, I think, is one of the most creative minds in music today.

Butcher is probably not jazz - at least he would definitely resist being classified as a jazz musician. He is great, although his later works seem to get somewhat stale. His best one (of 30 I have - and this is probably less than half of his output), IMHO is the old solo Invisible Ear (long OOP, but recently reissued on Butcher's own imprint) as well as Polwechsel discs.

butcher.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

Definitely worth checking out again. For me it's one of the great Miles albums particularly for its difference. Instead of standard song forms, he gets to experiment with atmospheric pieces to work with the film, and I think this is where he develops a lot of the minimalist, "gestural" playing that he'd more fully explore years later in his first electric period.

Yes, I think it's a great one and I regret overlooking it for a long time.

Wilen does play, alongside Miles, on an old French soundtrack recording I have (had?-- can't find it), Ascenseur pour l'echafaud.

Definitely worth checking out again. For me it's one of the great Miles albums particularly for its difference.

same thoughts here. i have a high oppinion of ascenseur pour l'echefaud.

Wilen does play, alongside Miles, on an old French soundtrack recording I have (had?-- can't find it), Ascenseur pour l'echafaud.

Definitely worth checking out again. For me it's one of the great Miles albums particularly for its difference.

same thoughts here. i have a high oppinion of ascenseur pour l'echefaud.

But Wilen can hardly be heard there... get "Barney" and "More from Barney" if you can, also the Jazz in Paris reissue of "Jazz sur Seine"! And then get hooked and get many more!

Can't really answer the question here, btw... loads of varied listening. Lengthy stretches dedicated to Miles Davis (1968-75), Sonny Stitt, Ella Fitzgerald, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey, Horace Silver among others recently, but all too often I just reach for what's within reach and on one of the "recently bouth" or "unheard yet" piles.

I would say probably Hank Jones or Billy Higgins. Why? They're two of my favorite musicians, they were prolific sidemen and I seek out their recordings, which means that their work comprises a large chunk of my music collection.

Two of my favorite trio albums have both of them: The Oracle (w/ Dave Holland) & The Essence (w/ Ray Drummond).

I would say probably Hank Jones or Billy Higgins. Why? They're two of my favorite musicians, they were prolific sidemen and I seek out their recordings, which means that their work comprises a large chunk of my music collection.

Two of my favorite trio albums have both of them: The Oracle (w/ Dave Holland) & The Essence (w/ Ray Drummond).

Those are both excellent albums. The Essence is underrated. If you like Jones and Holland together, you can also hear them on Lew Tabackin's Desert Lady, with Victor Lewis on drums. Ray Drummond and Jones are also on Mark Elf's Eternal Triangle, with Jimmy Heath and Ben Riley.

Note: Although The Oracle can be hard to find, there are four copies available for under $35 on Amazon.

Edited by Justin V

Over the past 4 months I have read books about Jimmy Heath and Hank Mobley. As a result, I have been listening to a lot of recordings by those two players.

Apart from that I listen to a great variety of jazz and classical music. New cds enter my house regularly and there is always a stack of new things waiting for me to hear.

Along with the new things I am always pulling CDs off the shelf that I heve not heard lately or that have come to my attention from something I read here on Organissimo or elsewhere.

Historically, Miles/Bird/Blakey/Lee/Trane/Mingus/Monk. In 2011 I made more of a concerted effort to dust off my hard bop (Mobley, Donaldson, Hubbard, Golson/Farmer, McLean and really all Blue Note recordings). Ended the year spending more time with the New Thing and will likely continue exploring in that direction.

Miles, Wayne, Pat Metheny, Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Jack DeJohnette, Herbie, Woody Shaw, Tony Williams, Keith Jarrett, JOS, Chick, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Trane, McCoy Tyner, Kenny Garrett for me as most frequently listened to.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Historically, Miles/Bird/Blakey/Lee/Trane/Mingus/Monk. In 2011 I made more of a concerted effort to dust off my hard bop (Mobley, Donaldson, Hubbard, Golson/Farmer, McLean and really all Blue Note recordings). Ended the year spending more time with the New Thing and will likely continue exploring in that direction.

/Lee/

I should hope so.

However, if it were not someone with your avatar and handle, one could also assume you were talking about Konitz.

I understand what Delightfulee is saying, as I have been following the same trajectory myself, staring with all things Lee Morgan,, then--and I thank Lee Morgan for opening the vistas-- moving further out, eventually getting deep into New Thing music, finally this year actually "dusting off" those hard bop recordings and bringing them back into rotation. I can't say with the same infatuation, but certainly with listening pleasure.

• 2 weeks later...

/Lee/

I should hope so.

However, if it were not someone with your avatar and handle, one could also assume you were talking about Konitz.

I understand what Delightfulee is saying, as I have been following the same trajectory myself, staring with all things Lee Morgan,, then--and I thank Lee Morgan for opening the vistas-- moving further out, eventually getting deep into New Thing music, finally this year actually "dusting off" those hard bop recordings and bringing them back into rotation. I can't say with the same infatuation, but certainly with listening pleasure.

Ha!! Just seeing this now. Loves me some Lee!