Herwig, Beirach and DeJohnette

GA Russell

I got this press release today. This looks interesting.

RAD JAZZ MUSIC INTRODUCES

THE TIP OF THE SWORD

THE LATEST RELEASE FROM

CONRAD HERWIG

featuring

RICHIE BEIRACH

and

JACK DEJOHNETTE

AVAILABLE NOW AS CD OR DOWNLOAD

EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH

http://conradherwig.com/

55.jpg56.jpg

NEW YORK, February 27, 2012 - Trombonist Conrad Herwig, known for "Latinizing" the classic compositions of jazz greats John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, among others, presents "The Tip of the Sword," a vital new release featuring Richie Beirach and Jack DeJohnette.

It is a couragous recording - freely interactive, oftentimes fierce - that focuses on daring improvisation within a trio context. It showcases 7 originals and it couples Herwig with one of jazz's legendary figures (pianist Beirach graced the leader's first recording in 1987), and a pioneering NEA Jazz Master (drummer DeJohnette, who continues to push the boundaries of jazz and world music expression).

Herwig has long been regarded as an advanced writer, arranger and educator. He is a 3-time Grammy-nominee (on Latin adaptations of Coltrane, Davis and Shorter), and his discography boasts 20 titles as a leader. On "The Tip of the Sword" he breaks free of idiomatic constraints, revisiting an improvisatory approach. It is a progressive document, capturing a trio without safety nets, showcasing an uncommonly adventurous and free-wheeling spirit.

For further information on Conrad Herwig and "The Tip of the Sword," please visit

http://conradherwig.com/

TRACKS

1. Where the Tip of the Sword Settles

2. Mastery of the Mind

3. Thought Precedes Action

4. The Void

5. Inner Sincerity

6. Moonlight on the Water/Rebirth

7. Being/Non Being

he has taste issues at times, can be blatant (almost) a la Milt Bernhart.

It's a trombone thing!

Especially an Afro-Cuban/Salsa/Whatever trombone thing! Conrad's spend years with Eddie Palmieri, and that has gone past rubbing off into seeping into...probably in his blood now, irrevocably.

What I'm working on is trying to get a handle on this "Carribean" notion of trombone sound as it relates to the Kenton trombone sound. There are definitely parallels, and I'm wondering who was influencing who, or if it was just one of those things where people end up at the same place independently, then men when they meet up, it's like, "Oh, you too? Cool, let's be buddies."

Then there was Barry Rogers...

This is a lousy transfer, but these trombones be playing HARD!

"It's a trombone thing!"

Most definitely. In that bag these days, I'm fond of Luis Bonilla of the Vanguard Orchestra, who has made several very good recordings as a leader.

About who originated that sound, I don't know, but that recent thread about Kai Winding (or a link off of it) claimed that he originated the Kenton trombone sound, with further refinements (if "refinements" is the word) by Bob Fitzpatrick and a few others. Who knows, maybe they've played trombones blatantly in Sweden for centuries? A la Alp Horns?

Of Bonilla's three albums, I prefer "I Talking Now!" and "Terminal Clarity." The most recent, "Twilight," struck me as a little bland.

I like Herwig very much. First time I saw him was in an excellent group Joe Henderson had in '97, with Randy Brecker also in the front line. I've seen him several other times, including with Palmieri. Herwig (like his Palmieri-mate Brian Lynch) is one of those musicians who are equally adept in Latin jazz and straight-ahead contexts. Sounds like an interesting lineup here.