Don Mincher, RIP

Don Mincher has died.

I have two memories of him. The first is when he and Earl Battey were traded by Bill Veeck to the Senators for Roy Sievers. The second was the Senators' last game in '71. We waited outside to wave goodbye to the players, and out last came Frank Howard riding with Mincher in Mincher's Caddy.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-don-mincher-20120306,0,4706014.story

In my neck of the woods, sometimes the 7th series didn't even make it to all of the stores. I distinctly remember 1970. Rico Petrocelli was my favorite player and in 1970, his card slipped into the 7th series. I went to the W.T. Grants department store in downtown Holyoke, the only place in town that had 7th series packs, and bought a whole bunch of packs just to get Rico. I got a lot of other hard to find cards because of that. We sold all our cards decades ago, but I still have that 1970 Rico card. :)

We were lucky to get deep into the sixth series, never mind the seventh...I wonder if anybody did get the seventh series in stores? Seems kind of weird to make them and then not sell them...I know that series always had a lot of traded players in their new uniforms and rookies who had kinda gotten hot during the season, so I don't think it was all part of the same production planning, all seven series. Never really seen a "formal" discussion of the matter, to tell the truth.

Never will forget the day I saw a small ad in the back of Sport Magazine for a place called The Card Collectors Co. Sent off for a catalog and BAM! My twenty-five cents a week was SPENT, Jack!

Seventh series cards were like the OOP Blue Notes of my pre-adolescence.