Minimalism

Hardbopjazz

George Freeman.

MG

George Freeman. Really?

He always sounds hyperactive to me. Like he's swatting flies from the fingerboard. Love his playing though. Massively under-documented musician. On record and film.

Oh yes. Try his intro to the blues track on the Jimmy McGriff/Lucky Thompson 'Friday the 13th' live album on Groove Merchant, or 'Introducing George Freeman with Charlie Earland sitting in' or practically any ballad. Bob Porter thought he did the best intros of anyone, but he took forever to get going :)

If you look at it right (or one way, anyway), those 'swatting flies' bits ARE the spaces.

MG

I've got a mint copy of Birth Sign. I better give it another listen (it's still got an original Delmark George Freeman press release in it :g ). I've also got a badly storage warped Charlie Parker/George Freeman :angry: which I love his playing on. And also the Groove Merchant with the naughty picture :g But I remember Birth Sign as the quintessential one.

I've had Birth Sign since I was about Eighteen. I remember at the time I found this record, one of my 'private school educated Jazz guitar friends' crashing the night in my room. I was always 'over'-keen to play him my latest Jazz Guitar discoveries, so I put on Birth Sign as our record to go to sleep to. Towards the end of the first side he began vigorously complaining about GF's weedy guitar tone. I almost got up and threw him out onto the street for the night :D

Edited by freelancer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Freeman.

MG

George Freeman. Really?

He always sounds hyperactive to me. Like he's swatting flies from the fingerboard. Love his playing though. Massively under-documented musician. On record and film.

Oh yes. Try his intro to the blues track on the Jimmy McGriff/Lucky Thompson 'Friday the 13th' live album on Groove Merchant, or 'Introducing George Freeman with Charlie Earland sitting in' or practically any ballad. Bob Porter thought he did the best intros of anyone, but he took forever to get going :)

If you look at it right (or one way, anyway), those 'swatting flies' bits ARE the spaces.

MG

I've got a mint copy of Birth Sign. I better give it another listen (it's still got an original Delmark George Freeman press release in it :g ). I've also got a badly storage warped Charlie Parker/George Freeman :angry: which I love his playing on. And also the Groove Merchant with the naughty picture :g But I remember Birth Sign as the quintessential one.

Actually, I reckon the quintessential ones are 'Rebellion' on Southport, with Vonski on piano all the way through, and 'Frantic diagnosis' on Bamboo (never on CD but Da Barstids often have it on LP), also with Vonski, Charles Earland, Caesar Frazier and others I can't be asked to go upstairs and look up.

I'd really like ot see the press notice; can you scan it and put it up?

I wonder if there's a thread on George?

MG

George Freeman.

MG

George Freeman. Really?

MG

Actually, I reckon the quintessential ones are 'Rebellion' on Southport, with Vonski on piano all the way through, and 'Frantic diagnosis' on Bamboo (never on CD but Da Barstids often have it on LP), also with Vonski, Charles Earland, Caesar Frazier and others I can't be asked to go upstairs and look up.

I'd really like ot see the press notice; can you scan it and put it up?

I wonder if there's a thread on George?

MG

Yeah, I'll scan it and post it. I'm just looking at it now. It's a typed out version of a Dan Morganstern Down Beat article from 6/10/71 (so it says at the bottom of page), but it would be nice to post, as it was presented with the record.