Rediscovering one's own collection...

Noj

After cassette players, people have always carried music only on mobile phones.

John, would you say most of Africa skipped CDs altogether and went straight from cassettes to digital files on phones? Do bootleggers sell massive mp3 collections on CD or DVD ROM in markets, like in Mexico?

John, would you say most of Africa skipped CDs altogether and went straight from cassettes to digital files on phones? Do bootleggers sell massive mp3 collections on CD or DVD ROM in markets, like in Mexico?

I can't speak for the rest of Africa, but CDs are still quite common in Nigeria, although the vast majority of them are of the pirate variety. I don't know if Discman was ever popular here as a way to carry around music.

I can't speak for the rest of Africa, but CDs are still quite common in Nigeria, although the vast majority of them are of the pirate variety. I don't know if Discman was ever popular here as a way to carry around music.

CDs didn't start becoming popular in Senegal until about 2003. And I think they're still not the format of the majority of the population.

MG