MLB 2012 Season

Honestly, the Astros (at least at this point) really screwed up, and didn't get anywhere near what they should have for the players they traded away.

In their early days it was just maddening how bad they were at trades! The All Star team was full of players Houston had traded away. Joe Morgan, Rusty Staub, Denis Menke, Jimmy Wynn. Cesar Geronimo. And a bunch more.

It wasn't all bad. They made out like bandits in the Nolan Ryan/Jeff Bagwell trades

Edit. Just realized that they signed Ryan as an FA.I got them confused with the Angels. Still that Bagwell trade had to be one of the greatest fleeces in MLB history.

True that....Mike Scott was transformed once he left the mets.He had 5 seasons in a row where he was one of the top starters in all of baseball. Imagine how good the Mets in the mid 80's would have been with Scott and Gooden! :blink:

Another amazing rookie may get the call up soon, Slide Billy, Slide!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1308245-cincinnati-reds-will-we-see-billy-hamilton-in-the-majors-this-season

As I recall, Scott had more than a little help. Learning how to cheat is NOT a transformation. FYI, the Mets already had the best pitching staff in baseball by a wide margin in the mid-80s. Gooden, Ojeda, Darling, Fernandez, Aguilera, Cone.

It's true the Mets had a very good starting staff(though Aguilera was never a full time starter) but Mike Scott was great...it's funny how players just swear someone is a cheater(remember how Nolan Ryan was supposedly throwing a spitter/scuffed ball, in Texas?) Seems someone mentioned recently, Enos Cabell, helped turn Scott, into great Scott... http://espn.go.com/page2/s/1986/011011neyer.html

What do you know? I lived it, and I lived close to it. Aguilera was the 5th starter, whenever they needed one.

Mike Scott was never great. He was scuffing, and that was not rumor. What the heck would Enos Cabell know about pitching?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, the Astros (at least at this point) really screwed up, and didn't get anywhere near what they should have for the players they traded away.

In their early days it was just maddening how bad they were at trades! The All Star team was full of players Houston had traded away. Joe Morgan, Rusty Staub, Denis Menke, Jimmy Wynn. Cesar Geronimo. And a bunch more.

It wasn't all bad. They made out like bandits in the Nolan Ryan/Jeff Bagwell trades

Edit. Just realized that they signed Ryan as an FA.I got them confused with the Angels. Still that Bagwell trade had to be one of the greatest fleeces in MLB history.

True that....Mike Scott was transformed once he left the mets.He had 5 seasons in a row where he was one of the top starters in all of baseball. Imagine how good the Mets in the mid 80's would have been with Scott and Gooden! :blink:

Another amazing rookie may get the call up soon, Slide Billy, Slide!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1308245-cincinnati-reds-will-we-see-billy-hamilton-in-the-majors-this-season

As I recall, Scott had more than a little help. Learning how to cheat is NOT a transformation. FYI, the Mets already had the best pitching staff in baseball by a wide margin in the mid-80s. Gooden, Ojeda, Darling, Fernandez, Aguilera, Cone.

It's true the Mets had a very good starting staff(though Aguilera was never a full time starter) but Mike Scott was great...it's funny how players just swear someone is a cheater(remember how Nolan Ryan was supposedly throwing a spitter/scuffed ball, in Texas?) Seems someone mentioned recently, Enos Cabell, helped turn Scott, into great Scott... http://espn.go.com/page2/s/1986/011011neyer.html

What do you know? I lived it, and I lived close to it. Aguilera was the 5th starter, whenever they needed one.

Mike Scott was never great. He was scuffing, and that was not rumor. What the heck would Enos Cabell know about pitching?

I assume you just wanted to bitch at someone, and didn't read the article. :rolleyes:

You are right, Mike Scott was never great, like in 1986? 18-10, 2.22 ERA,(lowest on Mets that year, Bob Ojeda 2.54) 275 Innings(Most on the Mets that year, Gooden, 250 Innings) 306 strikeouts, (Gooden, Sid Fernandez 200 Ks)

Between 1985 and 1989, Scott never pitched less than 218 innings, nor had an ERA above 3.29 any year. 86 wins over 5 seasons on a team that never scored much.

But, he sucked cuz some Mets players said he scuffed the ball. Amazing how he was able to do this all the time, and was never caught. Guess MLB was just biased against the Juggernaut that is the Houston Astros. :crazy:

Here's a shocker: Barry Zito has a winning record this year; 10-8. :huh:

I never saw that one coming.

Melky Cabrera BA:

Atl .255 [that's overall, he was traded because his BA had fallen off. The last couple months of that year around .158]

KC .305

SF .346

Source: Baseball Reference

No Yankee has ever been suspended for 50 games...neither was Braun from the Brew-ha's. I find that to be a rather curious bit of information.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The rumors thicken: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8300112/adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-josh-beckett-nearing-boston-red-sox-exit-sources-say

The Dodgers and Red Sox are closing in on a deal to send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles, though a few hurdles remain before it's official, multiple baseball sources said Friday.

But you gotta love this:

During his daily pregame news conference, Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine was asked about the situation."I have no thoughts at all," Valentine said. "I saw it scroll on the bottom of my TV."

Valentine said he had a conversation with general manager Ben Cherington earlier in the day and Gonzalez was not mentioned.

"I talked to Ben this afternoon and there was no mention -- at all," Valentine said. "There wasn't a mention of 'who do you want?' There wasn't any conversation, so I believe it's nothing more than the standard operational of a guy gets claimed, it's a block, it's not a trade and life goes on."

Either Valentine's being a Good Soldier, or else he's being left out of the discussion altogether because his ass is gonna be out of there too and he just don't know it yet.

Of course, the possibility that both are true also linger...

The rumors thicken: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8300112/adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-josh-beckett-nearing-boston-red-sox-exit-sources-say

The Dodgers and Red Sox are closing in on a deal to send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles, though a few hurdles remain before it's official, multiple baseball sources said Friday.

But you gotta love this:

During his daily pregame news conference, Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine was asked about the situation."I have no thoughts at all," Valentine said. "I saw it scroll on the bottom of my TV."

Valentine said he had a conversation with general manager Ben Cherington earlier in the day and Gonzalez was not mentioned.

"I talked to Ben this afternoon and there was no mention -- at all," Valentine said. "There wasn't a mention of 'who do you want?' There wasn't any conversation, so I believe it's nothing more than the standard operational of a guy gets claimed, it's a block, it's not a trade and life goes on."

Either Valentine's being a Good Soldier, or else he's being left out of the discussion altogether because his ass is gonna be out of there too and he just don't know it yet.

Of course, the possibility that both are true also linger...

Either the Dodgers are attempting to buy the WS ala Stienbrenner or it is just rumor. I mean, that is an awful lot of talent for the BoSox to unload during 2nd half of the season. The BoSox are only 13 games back. This would be akin to falling on their collective sword.

Doesn't make baseball sense, IMHO.

Edited by GoodSpeak

While I think it's funny....that is a godawful trade for the Dodgers. Something McCourt would have made if he actually had any money. Red Sox fans might have a parade (I know several of my family (we still love them! haha) would be there!) if they can get rid of both Beckett and Crawford....and their bloated contracts. One guy who can't seem to pitch anymore and another who has been pretty much a bust since signing with the Red Sox....and that's before the Tommy John surgery, which will lead to at least missing half of next season.

Edited by Blue Train

Beckett has first right of refusal and a huge contract. Gonzales would be costly too, but would probably want to go back to California where he's from...so we see.

I hear tell that the Dodgers may be willing to mortgage the future by trading pitching prospects to make the deal work. Bad idea, if you ask me. Pitching is their weakness.

Gonzalez has 6-years of his $154 million contract left. He's the only one of the three that is any good....but he's also 30.

Beckett 2-years and $31.5 million.

Carl Crawford - 5-years of his laughable $142 million left.

You couldn't make that up!

Even if the Red Sox eat half of that as part of the trade....it's still a disaster.

Here are next year's potential Free Agents.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=177

Edited by Blue Train

That's SI reporting ESPN reporting one of their Boston correspondent's Tweets! No confirmation, no sources, even on background, just WHOOHOO!!!!!

Typical contemporary journalistic (sports and otherwise) circle-jerk, nobody wants to be left out of RIGHT NOW. Accuracy is just something you say when a certain type of car goes by...

Ok, ok, I know...everyone is saying to themselves, what does Berigan think about this trade that doesn't affect the braves in any way, shape or form? :shrug[1]:

First off, Beckett is going to pitch better because he will be in a much, much bigger park, facing teams like the Braves (but, the braves aren't playing the Dodgers on this west coast trip, weird) who have a backup shortstop playing everyday hitting .206 in the 8th spot, the some lame pitcher that hits worse than your granny, batting 9th. That is going to help. Plus, like HoRam, he will want to prove it still can pitch.

Carl Crawford...don't think he can live up to that contract, but he was hitting .282 (19 RBI's in 31 games) with that bad elbow.

But, he will miss half of next year...nope. Position players can come back much sooner. Zack Cozart, the Reds shortstop, had TJ surgery last August, and was the opening day shortstop this April. And it would seem a SS puts much more stress on his elbow than a LF'er. Plus, anyone ever see him work out? He might even outdo Matt Kemp's workout. Might. Anyway...the Dodgers will have a very good, if overpaid leadoff hitter next season, and Matt Kemp, HoRam, Andre Either, and oh yeah, the best pure hitter of all of them, Adrian Gonzalez driving him in...their offense has been terrible this year...no more....

So really, it depends more on whether the prospects the Red Sox get pan out or not, cuz I think it's going to work great for the Dodgers...time will tell. But, I am rarely wrong...when it comes to baseball. :crazy:

Ok, ok, I know...everyone is saying to themselves, what does Berigan think about this trade that doesn't affect the braves in any way, shape or form? :shrug[1]:

First off, Beckett is going to pitch better because he will be in a much, much bigger park, facing teams like the Braves (but, the braves aren't playing the Dodgers on this west coast trip, weird) who have a backup shortstop playing everyday hitting .206 in the 8th spot, the some lame pitcher that hits worse than your granny, batting 9th. That is going to help. Plus, like HoRam, he will want to prove it still can pitch.

Carl Crawford...don't think he can live up to that contract, but he was hitting .282 (19 RBI's in 31 games) with that bad elbow.

But, he will miss half of next year...nope. Position players can come back much sooner. Zack Cozart, the Reds shortstop, had TJ surgery last August, and was the opening day shortstop this April. And it would seem a SS puts much more stress on his elbow than a LF'er. Plus, anyone ever see him work out? He might even outdo Matt Kemp's workout. Might. Anyway...the Dodgers will have a very good, if overpaid leadoff hitter next season, and Matt Kemp, HoRam, Andre Either, and oh yeah, the best pure hitter of all of them, Adrian Gonzalez driving him in...their offense has been terrible this year...no more....

So really, it depends more on whether the prospects the Red Sox get pan out or not, cuz I think it's going to work great for the Dodgers...time will tell. But, I am rarely wrong...when it comes to baseball. :crazy:

the ber is always RIGHT.

Yeah, but get into the Dodger bullpen and it's [ahem] game over. The pitching is in need of some serious help. Beckett isn't the answer and neither is Gonzalez.

The Red Sox got crap in the deal, but they were never going to get anywhere with the currant roster.

True dat.

But a salary dump isn't going to help either.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Think it's a bad deal for the Dodgers, just has a bad Karma feel to it, if the players are doing nothing in Boston, I'm not overly confident they'll do any better in LA. I am not a Beckett fan, at all, nor am I big on Crawford, but with the Dodgers walking into a huge tv deal, they have money to burn.