Wardell Gray site finally up

romualdo

Thanks a lot for that link!

I'd still wish that 15CD set would be leaked somewhere... or much better even, (dream on, dream on) be adopted by Mosaic!

If I'm ever reunited with my collection for a long-enough period...

I'd worked with Coover Gazdar a bit before he passed...just before we were to get together again on this project at an IAJRC convention. I know he'd have wanted me or someone to carry on, but for me, it just became impossible.

Too bad no one was around to take this over!

Btw, what about that session that was to be issued on a Blue Note CD?

poss. John Jenkins (as); Wardell Gray (ts); Norman Simmons (p); Victor Sproles (b); Bert Dahlander (d).

Private recording, The Beehive Club, Chicago, IL, c. March 1955

Billie's Bounce unissued

I Can't Get Started unissued

What Is This Thing Called Love unissued

Keen And Peachy unissued

The Squirrel unissued

Southside unissued

Pennies From Heaven unissued

Comments:

On Billie's Bounce: prob. Ira Sullivan or E. Parker MacDougal (ts) added; on I Can't Get Started poss. Nicky Hill or Jay Peters (ts) added. I have not had access to these recordings. All titles were supposedly to be issued on CD BN 8-33329-2 titled “Wardell Gray - Beehive '55” but I have no further information.

Whatever happened to that project, why was it shelved? It looks fascinating on paper, to say the very least!

I want to see this one: http://detroitmusichistory.com/W_Anderson.pdf

<<(Willie) Anderson’s recordings have never been reissued and, like Anderson, were popular only in Detroit. Had

he chosen to make the move to Manhattan with Gillespie, Hawkins or Goodman this article would be

unnecessary. Most of his recordings will be included in a forthcoming CD compilation on Uptown

Records – Detroit Jazz Before Motown, 1945–53: Rare and previously unissued recordings

featuring Wardell Gray, Barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Burrell, Willie Anderson and

others. Lars and I hope a worldwide audience will hear and appreciate Willie Anderson. He deserves a

place in the pantheon of great Detroit pianists.>>

C'mon Uptown!

Thanks a lot for that link!

I'd still wish that 15CD set would be leaked somewhere... or much better even, (dream on, dream on) be adopted by Mosaic!

I had previously asked (via email) Michael C about a WG set - he was non commital - that was a few years ago now

omg

Too bad no one was around to take this over!

Btw, what about that session that was to be issued on a Blue Note CD?

poss. John Jenkins (as); Wardell Gray (ts); Norman Simmons (p); Victor Sproles (b); Bert Dahlander (d).

Private recording, The Beehive Club, Chicago, IL, c. March 1955

Billie's Bounce unissued

I Can't Get Started unissued

What Is This Thing Called Love unissued

Keen And Peachy unissued

The Squirrel unissued

Southside unissued

Pennies From Heaven unissued

Comments:

On Billie's Bounce: prob. Ira Sullivan or E. Parker MacDougal (ts) added; on I Can't Get Started poss. Nicky Hill or Jay Peters (ts) added. I have not had access to these recordings. All titles were supposedly to be issued on CD BN 8-33329-2 titled "Wardell Gray - Beehive '55" but I have no further information.

Whatever happened to that project, why was it shelved? It looks fascinating on paper, to say the very least!

I want to see this one: http://detroitmusichistory.com/W_Anderson.pdf

<<(Willie) Anderson’s recordings have never been reissued and, like Anderson, were popular only in Detroit. Had

he chosen to make the move to Manhattan with Gillespie, Hawkins or Goodman this article would be

unnecessary. Most of his recordings will be included in a forthcoming CD compilation on Uptown

Records – Detroit Jazz Before Motown, 1945–53: Rare and previously unissued recordings

featuring Wardell Gray, Barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Burrell, Willie Anderson and

others. Lars and I hope a worldwide audience will hear and appreciate Willie Anderson. He deserves a

place in the pantheon of great Detroit pianists.>>

C'mon Uptown!

the online discography of wardell gray was overdue!!! very good! and the "uptown" detroit jazz before motown cd also. for years i´m waiting for the issue. (therein was also announced the "now´s the time" track with charlie parker and the phil hill quintet from the bluebird inn in detroit from october 1, 1949). c´mon uptown!

keep boppin´

marcel