Spectrum Road with Vernon Reid, Jack Bruce, John Medeski, Cindy Blackm

robertoart

I saw this band in Vancouver BC on June 25. Vernon Reid gave a short speech honouring Tony Williams and the dedication required to keep the original Lifetime band going against all the obstacles he faced. I think this attitude is shared by all four musicians in the Spectrum Road band. They seem to be really serious about the repertoire and they are really serious about playing LOUD. If you go to see them, hearing protection is a must.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this band at the Playboy Jazz Festival a couple of weeks ago. They closed the Festival the day I played there.

They followed something called Robin Thicke who I never heard of and when I inquired back stage who the fuck was this guy I was told his father was Alan Thicke and then I had the ask who the fuck is that only to be told.....

Anyways, it seemed like they played to about 300 or so devoted fans as the rest of the place emptied out like it was the 7th inning of a Dodgers game.

I enjoyed it a lot. It's fun to hear that material played in general but especially nice when played by musicians who know what they are doing and can really bring it......

It was a mix of stuff including one tune from the second era (Holdsworth band) Lifetime group.

• 1 month later...

Just bought this album from Amazon; received in the mail today. Yeah, this is a very good album, though the last three tunes are a bit off, compared to the rest of the album. Not as engaging.

Shows how out of it I am; I had no idea Cindy Blackman married Carlos Santana!

Edited by Stefan Wood