Tim Warfield

Tom 1960

I first became familiar with his playing via the album "Tough Young Tenors" released back in 1991. It also featured James Carter, Walter Blanding, Herb Harris and Todd Williams. Any thoughts on his solo issues or sideman dates? Anything worth purchasing? I see that Terell Stafford played on a few of his sessions which interests me.

Edited by Tom 1960

I own three of his recordings on Criss Cross, Gentle Warrior, Jazz Is…, and One For Shirley. As long as you keep in mind that Criss Cross is not a label that you should too frequently expect boundaries to be extended, everything I have heard by Warfield has been well worth my time.

I first became familiar with his playing via the album "Tough Young Tenors" released back in 1991. It also featured James Carter, Walter Blanding, Herb Harris and Todd Williams. Any thoughts on his solo issues or sideman dates? Anything worth purchasing? I see that Terell Stafford played on a few of his sessions which interests me.

Warfield was (and maybe still is) a member of Stafford's quintet. I saw them live and their music is well worth exploring.

I concur with the remark above about Criss Cross.

Warfield was (and maybe still is) a member of Stafford's quintet. I saw them live and their music is well worth exploring.

I concur with the remark above about Criss Cross.

You just jarred my memory. I attended a Stafford show last year and instead of Warfield in the ensemble, Dick Oats sat in.

Edited by Tom 1960

i remember enjoying some of his playing (and the music generally) on Nicholas Payton's Payton Place. the two tracks that were wearing their "Davis 2nd great quintet" tendencies on their sleeves were my favorite tracks: Concentric Circles and Paraphernalia. it's been quite a while since i thought of that record...